CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6359|CA, USA
i've been a harcore Perl programmer for the past 12 years writing mostly glue logic scripts that connect design flows in the logic design area for CPU design.  lately, i've been looking at branching out to C++ or Java and wondered who else uses these languages and/or what languages do you use frequently and for what kinds of tasks.  when i went to college back in the day, i learned assembler, fortran, and pascal so that dates me quite a bit since now the new college grads are fluent in C/C++, Java, etc. 

c++ vs java - why use one over the other?  i prefer java's syntax and garbage collection to C langauge pointer constructs, for example.
anyone use ruby?  python?  what kinds of apps do you use them for?
if anyone has any Perl questions, i might be able to help also

thanks!
CosmoKramer
CC you in October
+131|6621|Medford, WI
php
chittydog
less busy
+586|6837|Kubra, Damn it!

C#, VB and a little Java. If you like Java, I'd recommend you try C#. The syntax is nearly identical, but you get a much better IDE (Visual Studio) and things like compiling and deploying are waaaaaay easier.

On C++ vs Java, C++ is if you want to really get down to the nitty, gritty details. Like drawing your own windows. Java handles a lot of the everyday nonsense for you so you can get done faster. Take a look at some job postings before you start learning a new language. I think C++ is starting that long road to obscurity. It'll be around for a while, but in the next few years the jobs won't be as easy to find as Java or .NET.
Mint Sauce
Frighteningly average
+780|6288|eng
English.
#rekt
Ultimatrox
+38|6235|Netherlands

Mint Sauce wrote:

English.
No wai. Dutch
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5966|London, England

Mint Sauce wrote:

English.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
2tuff
Positive Karma Here!
+357|6777
Html Ftw
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6709|67.222.138.85
I think jsnipy would be a good person to ask about this.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6758|Scotland

XHTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, Ruby ( some of it ), Flex ( basically actionscript ) and looking into Python and Perl.
**LiLp-DeFiNeD
Banned
+54|6156|Vancouver, BC, Canada
HTML, PHP, VB, Arduino Code(Based off of C)

But all with some form of layout tool, I know the if's and else's and foreach, but I always miss the obligatory ; { } etc.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6768|UK
VB, Pascal, Haskell, Java, C++, XHTML, CSS, PHP, Perl, a few computer AI languages, think thats it.

C++ is a bitch to program in, thanks to lack of GC, but C++ is a more powerful language because of this exact reason. Just remember to destruct after an object has finished being used. Java does have the advantage of extensive library's literally hundreds of times larger than C++'s.
CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6359|CA, USA

Vilham wrote:

VB, Pascal, Haskell, Java, C++, XHTML, CSS, PHP, Perl, a few computer AI languages, think thats it.

C++ is a bitch to program in, thanks to lack of GC, but C++ is a more powerful language because of this exact reason. Just remember to destruct after an object has finished being used. Java does have the advantage of extensive library's literally hundreds of times larger than C++'s.
haskell?  how do you like functional programming?  we have a programming language we use here at work for theorem proving and other formal verifcation tasks that is similar to haskell and ml.  it's quite a paradigm shift from regular procedural programming.  i have a hard time wrapping my head around the problem when i have to use that language. 

i am leaning towards using java since it appears to be easier to learn and the compiler/VM is almost as fast as c++ code for the most part.  for what i want to do, either would be ok.  i'm limited to a linux environment so that counts C# out even though i'm sure there are ways to get it to work with special libraries/hacks, etc.  i'm not that motivated to do all kinds of OS gyrations just to learn C# when i can get similar results from existing compilers for C++ and java for example.

thanks for your inputs
CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6359|CA, USA

chittydog wrote:

C#, VB and a little Java. If you like Java, I'd recommend you try C#. The syntax is nearly identical, but you get a much better IDE (Visual Studio) and things like compiling and deploying are waaaaaay easier.

On C++ vs Java, C++ is if you want to really get down to the nitty, gritty details. Like drawing your own windows. Java handles a lot of the everyday nonsense for you so you can get done faster. Take a look at some job postings before you start learning a new language. I think C++ is starting that long road to obscurity. It'll be around for a while, but in the next few years the jobs won't be as easy to find as Java or .NET.
i hear you on your second point.  hard core CAD tool developers tend to prefer C++ due to the speed of the generated code as well as the libraries from other vendors (like say Qt or OpenAccess for data sharing).  the use of java in the electronic design automation community appears to be somewhat limited.  they tend to prefer Tcl as a scripting language (even over Perl) and use C++ for the tools themselves (and libraries).  even so, i'd like to learn java as i think in case something happens and i switch careers sometime, i won't be held back.  java is not likely to go away in near term.

thanks for the inputs
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6768|UK

CaptainSpaulding71 wrote:

Vilham wrote:

haskell?  how do you like functional programming?  we have a programming language we use here at work for theorem proving and other formal verifcation tasks that is similar to haskell and ml.  it's quite a paradigm shift from regular procedural programming.  i have a hard time wrapping my head around the problem when i have to use that language. 

i am leaning towards using java since it appears to be easier to learn and the compiler/VM is almost as fast as c++ code for the most part.  for what i want to do, either would be ok.  i'm limited to a linux environment so that counts C# out even though i'm sure there are ways to get it to work with special libraries/hacks, etc.  i'm not that motivated to do all kinds of OS gyrations just to learn C# when i can get similar results from existing compilers for C++ and java for example.

thanks for your inputs
Tbh I think functional programming is really fucking hard. We had to make our own compiler using Haskell during second year, it was a total bitch.
Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6735|Singapore
Java.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)

Zimmer wrote:

...Ruby...

And, to keep it ot:

Scorpion0x17@trackr wrote:

Basic.
Pascal.
COBOL.
Modula2.
Prolog.
C
C++
Java.
Javascript.
PHP.

XHTML.
CSS.
(though they're not programming languages).

Probably more that I've forgotten for now...
And, in fact, I did forget one:

Ada.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2008-06-26 00:13:14)

Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6475|6 6 4 oh, I forget

I'm just a happy helpdesk monkey, so none.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theoffice/images/yourgallery/bushell.jpg
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6752

Scorpion0x17@trackr wrote:

XHTML.
CSS.
(though they're not programming languages).
glad someone pointed that out.

Just now i am developing in vb.net (asp.net), with some Javascript (JQuery) and using all the .net environment. Also playing around with the Silverlight stuff.
Dwit
+34|6512

Ultimatrox wrote:

Mint Sauce wrote:

English.
No wai. Dutch
Agree.
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

I use C# 90% of the time (which is very close to Java in many aspects). Most of my tasks revolve around either doing web applications, data access layers, business objects, or manipulating messaging traffic. All the system I work on span across many tiers which use some sort of Microsoft product (BizTalk Server, Sql Server, etc), not standalone applications. I have nothing against Java; it is just that my career path over that 8-9 years has always lead me to doing  work converting things from it rather than to it. I do think though that there is an unfounded academic bias towards it (probably because it is not Microsoft .

So to answer your question, my opinion is focus on Java. If you are doing any kind of practical application it would make development time shorter on account that there are tons of free tools, frameworks, and example. With Java you can also start getting into the growing trend of  functional programming as well ). Any principles you learn with Java you will be able carry over whether you are writing simple stand alone apps or dropping things in JBoss.

I could not tell you much about Python other than messing around with pyTivo. I do have an interesting in getting more familiar with it, I think it will only grow in popularity especially with how Google backs it. I have colleagues that that work with Ruby, never touched it myself. These two things seem like they are used mainly for prototyping or writing standalone apps (again not where my experience lies)

PS. The only time I have ever had to crack out the C++ outside of school was to make an extended stored procedure for Sql Server (and that was a long time ago ). I do have a lot of respect for those that have their roots in it (I'm looking at one now). It's a skill that will never go out of style
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

I'd recommend you try C#. The syntax is nearly identical, but you get a much better IDE (Visual Studio) and things like compiling and deploying are waaaaaay easier.
One good note about C# is that anything worthwhile done Java has been port to C# (i.e. Spring, jUnit) and there a few free choices when it comes to IDEs ...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Zimmer wrote:

Python
I would love to know.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6359|CA, USA

Kmarion wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Python
I would love to know.
me too but i'm having a hard time getting my head wrapped around the way they block sections of code (scoping).  eg:  in a c-like language like c, java, perl, etc, we use { } chars to do scoping such as in a subroutine or if/then/else construct.  however, in python, we use 'indentation' to block out scopes.  ick!  and it must be uniform spacing.  here's an example (pseudocode):

perl:

if ($do_something) {
    print("1\n");
    print("2\n");
} else {
    print("3\n");
}

python:

if (do_something) :
    print "1\n"
    print "2\n"
else:
    print "3\n"

so my beef with python is that if i do not use 4 spaces (or a tab if i used a tab) for the do_something portion of the if statement (each sub statement), then i'm in a different scope.  pythonistas claim that editors can take the grief out of this, but i just find the fact that they are forcing code style in the language.  rather, this sounds like a job for a good 'tidy' program - or lint checks.  but this is my own prejudices here since i've been using c-like languages for 20 years now
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)

Kmarion wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Python
I would love to know.
me too but i'm having a hard time getting my head wrapped around the way they block sections of code (scoping).  eg:  in a c-like language like c, java, perl, etc, we use { } chars to do scoping such as in a subroutine or if/then/else construct.  however, in python, we use 'indentation' to block out scopes.  ick!  and it must be uniform spacing.  here's an example (pseudocode):

perl:

if ($do_something) {
    print("1\n");
    print("2\n");
} else {
    print("3\n");
}

python:

if (do_something) :
    print "1\n"
    print "2\n"
else:
    print "3\n"

so my beef with python is that if i do not use 4 spaces (or a tab if i used a tab) for the do_something portion of the if statement (each sub statement), then i'm in a different scope.  pythonistas claim that editors can take the grief out of this, but i just find the fact that they are forcing code style in the language.  rather, this sounds like a job for a good 'tidy' program - or lint checks.  but this is my own prejudices here since i've been using c-like languages for 20 years now
Agreed.

*recalls coding COBOL in college...*

Ah... lovely COBOL...
Zombie_Affair
Amputee's...BOOP
+78|5817|Fattest Country in the world.

Kmarion wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Python
I would love to know.
Hissssssssssss

Dabbled in C++ and Java, nothing overly exciting.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard