shadowcell_01
How 'bout dem Cowboys?
+45|6514|Flower Mound, TX
This is for anyone here that knows quite a bit about cars (enough to help).

I drive a 2001 hyundai Santa Fe. It has 42000 miles on it and has had regular checks every so often like it is supposed to. I have never ran the RPM's above 5000 and the engine and the entire car is stock.

Problem: The engine is shaking too much?

It started about 4 days ago when I pull up to a red light and all of a sudden my car begins to shake. Not too much but enough for my friend to notice it and ask what's wrong with my car. I said it's probably nothing and kept driving. When we arrived back at my house I popped the hood to see whats up. I had my friend get in and start it and sure enough, the whole engine was shaking.

Now I'm thinking it's the pads that hold the engine in place on the sides and if those are bad then this could be a somewhat easy solution but I have no idea personally. Whenever I turn the car on if it has been off for 3 hours I have to push the pedal to the floor to get it going from the first 2 or 3 stops.

Serious answers only please.

New car is not an option.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5969|The Mitten

shadowcell_01 wrote:

I have to push the pedal to the floor to get it going from the first 2 or 3 stops.
Automatic trans I'm assuming?

Not much of an expert, but have the clutch/transmission assembly looked at.
EE (hats
SealXo
+309|6505
its a haundai is zi problem
^ srs answer

Last edited by SealXo (2008-06-21 22:34:43)

viper313
One Shot, One Kill
+53|6611|Minnesota
sounds like it could be a fuel issue.  If it's starving for fuel, the idle might be low so you would get more shaking cuz the engine is having a hard time staying running.  Could be fuel filter.  I would definitely get it serviced.

either that or it's some stupid sensor that only an auto shop can fix.

Last edited by viper313 (2008-06-21 23:22:49)

Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6540|USA
check the transmission fluid levels. also could be fuel like viper said. maybe you got a shit batch. a few months back a major gas supplier to my area fucked up and sent diesel to be loaded into gasoline storage tanks and fucked up quite a few cars in the area. are you sure you didn't press the wrong button fueling up?
check your oil level too, just pull the dipstick and wipe, etc.
i don't think its the pads because that shouldn't affect you getting the car rolling.
eskimo_sammyjoe
Did someone say tea?
+112|6204|S.A. Australia
I have a mate whose car does that.  In his its because the car is dropping a cylinder.  If there is a drop in power when the engine shakes, that may be it
Serious Flex
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6199|NSW, Australia

engine mounts are probly busted. sounds like that or flywheel/clutch problem

aprenticemechanicftw
Teamsreth
Complete Tanker
+17|6813|England
Does the engine sound like its running rough?

If so, then it could be almost anything, from fuel issues, like pump failure, dodgy fuel, etc, to electronic problems, sensor failure, loose/damaged wiring. If the engine is running badly, you will want to get it looked at, because some of the problems can cause even more serious issues!

If the engine is running fine, but shaking, when running, it may be engine/transmission mounts, this may have damaged wiring, fuel lines and can cause the starting issues. Or it could be a transmission fault, as mentioned, although this is unlikely unless it is an auto box.

Either way, it really needs to be looked at, and left as it is, will only get worse. This may be a wire breaks through, meaning it wont start at all, all the up to engine lunching it.

Last edited by Teamsreth (2008-06-22 03:16:51)

wensleydale8
+81|6739|LEEDS!!!!!, Yorkshire
im surprised no one has suggested that it could be misfiring but if it sounds like its knocking when shaking your proper fucked becasue that normally means a new crank.
Dear God please let my karma one day reach 100, whether it be tomorrow or 1000 years in the future i want it to happen.
Teamsreth
Complete Tanker
+17|6813|England
Thats why I asked if it was running poorly. The likelyhood is that it is missfiring, and I listed a VERY small list of possabilities. It really needs to be check over properly, as worstcase, yes, engine could be fucked, or it could be a sensor.

If it has only just started, get it seen to ASAP, hope its a cheap fix.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6192|Brisneyland
This is worth a mention. Does the "engine problem" light come on the dashboard ? If so , then you can take it to Hyundai and the can diagnose the prob in seconds ( which would possibly make it some sort of electrical fault, or sensor prob). If not, it may be something like engine mount, tranny prob etc. Personally I would doubt it would be a crankshaft prob, but we are talking Hyundai here so who knows.
Unfortunately there are so many problems that can cause a miss.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6543
A couple of basic things you can chk on your own (provided you have a reasonable amount of mechanical ability)
1. Fuel filter.  when was the last time it was changed?  This has a huge affect on the idle consistancy.
2. Oxygen sensor.  This can send the wrong signals to your cars computer, thus resulting in bad idle, increased fuel consumption, and generaly
                             rough engine rotation.
3. Try a tank of high octane fuel.  Frequently with lower octane ratings, the plugs can become dirty and dont fire properly.
4. Pull one of your plugs (if not all...one at a time mind you...)  If they are white, the cylinder is too lean and you may be doing damage to the
                            piston and cylinder wall.  If the plug is black and slimy (oil) you may have some bad rings...resulting in oil "blowby" and a
                            misfiring plug.
5. Finally (and this is generaly not something to be done at home...)  Have the timing chk'd by a trustworthy shop.  Preferably the dealer.  The silly thing may have simply jumped time by as little as 1 degree.

Good luck on getting it smoothed out, I know what an annoying thing a rough running engine can be.  I dont even want to know its running tbh, if I can feel the engine in my foot, or in the seat of my pants, I either dont buy the car, or I take it straight away and have it chk'd out.

Hope this helps

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard