Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6726|Singapore
Why are their brake pedals rectangular?
VicktorVauhn
+319|6384|Southern California
easier to left foot brake, while still allowing traditional braking to feel normal?
Mattimus
Wardimus
+16|5817
So they're easier to hit if you need to brake quickly?

Last edited by Mattimus (2008-06-17 23:00:51)

Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6726|Singapore
hmm ahh, well i use my right foot to brake most of the time cause i am too used to a stick shift?
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5957|London, England

There's a difference? I never noticed. I guess without the clutch they have more room to put the brake in?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
trex1210
I am Canadian
+72|6251|B.C. Canada

VicktorVauhn wrote:

easier to left foot brake, while still allowing traditional braking to feel normal?
who brakes with their left foot?? like what the hell. that is retarded
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6132|New Jersey
You never brake with your left foot, whether you're driving a stick or an automatic.  I agree with Mutantsteak, the brake pedal is probably bigger cuz they have more room for it and more surface area for your foot is always helpful.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5957|London, England

trex1210 wrote:

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Braking with the left foot is bad, getting into that habit means you ride the brake too much
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6431|King Of The Islands

Mutantsteak wrote:

ride the brake
You can do that? Why would you do that? Its a detriment to your HP sauces.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
VicktorVauhn

Cheez wrote:

Mutantsteak wrote:

ride the brake
You can do that? Why would you do that? Its a detriment to your HP sauces.
It will shift the brake balance of the car rearward on a FWD car, or allow the turbo to stay spooled if its a turboed car...

trex1210 wrote:

VicktorVauhn wrote:

https://www.cararticles.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/lewis-hamilton.jpg
https://www.totalmotorsport.co.za/images/loeb_05_big.jpg

In all seriousness though, if its not doing anything why not use your left foot to brake? You just press one pedal or the other. I don't really do it (then again I drive stick) but if i owned a FWD or turbo car I would
Far
+22|6723|USA
I've been using my left foot for braking for the last 20 years.
It's not "bad" to do... that's just silly. If you can't hover your foot over the brake without actually pressing the brake then, yes, that's bad.
The reaction time is a fraction of what it is when you have to bring your right foot from the gas over to the brake.
bakinacake
HA HA
+383|5978|Aus, Qld

Mutantsteak wrote:

trex1210 wrote:

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Braking with the left foot is bad, getting into that habit means you ride the brake too much
hate people who do that, can never tell when they are going to stop.
https://i.imgur.com/LGvbJjT.jpg
trex1210
I am Canadian
+72|6251|B.C. Canada
omg you guys must freakin be dangerous as hell on the roads!!! Braking with your left foot is bad because when you get into a situation where you panick you could and most likely will stomp on the gas and brake at the same time!!!! If you have your right foot for BOTH gas and brake then you will only press brake instead of both. IT SHOULD BE THE FIRST THING YOU LEARN ABOUT DRIVING A VEHICLE! GO BACK AND DO YOUR DRIVING TEST!
VicktorVauhn
umm, when you panic why wouldn't you just slam down with your right foot? Because you train your self to know instinctively what that would do.... You just have to learn how to use your left foot instead, its actually easier then you would think.

Though I still don't really do it, I actually should kinda learn for autox since I don't really shift.
Mint Sauce
Frighteningly average
+780|6279|eng
Left foot breaking is only something you should do when you are an experienced and very good driver. It comes in useful on the track in high powered cars..
#rekt
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6563|USA
its because they have more room and the brake is all about safety so its easier to hit. i've never met a single soul who brakes lefty. thats fucking stupid imo.
Ratzinger
+43|6384|Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Traditional rally cornering technique. Like, FOREVER!
I thought everyone knew that......
trex1210
I am Canadian
+72|6251|B.C. Canada

Ratzinger wrote:

Traditional rally cornering technique. Like, FOREVER!
I thought everyone knew that......
We are not talking about freaking rally car braking or any kind of racing. We are talking about regular roads. Like come on none of you guys here are rally drivers! Braking with your left foot on normal highways is dangerous. So stop being a poser thinking you are a rally car driver or whatever!
Teamsreth
Complete Tanker
+17|6836|England
Wow, absolutely amazing!

Firstly, trex, Poser?? You can see into people foot wells when driving, Fuck me, you need to look at the road.

Second, Left foot braking is not suitable for most driving situations, but to say that its dangerous at ALL times is ridiculous. What about heel and toe?? Because you don't do it, it that dangerous as well?

trex1210 wrote:

Braking with your left foot is bad because when you get into a situation where you panick you could and most likely will stomp on the gas and brake at the same time!!!!
FFS, if you do that when you panic, you are INCREDIBLY dangerous. You do drive don't you? People who do should be able to react, not panic.

Back OT, I suppose that there is a lot of space without the third pedal, why not use some of it? Might as well.
TrueMusou
+36|6153|United States Of Hamerica
Cause a brake pedal shaped like a circle is just rubbish.
Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6125|Carnoustie, Scotland
What about heel/toe accelerating/braking? Awesome skill to learn if you can master it, along with double de-clutching. Dad taught me how to do it, can go faster around corners now
jaymz9350
+54|6570

Ayumiz wrote:

Why are their brake pedals rectangular?
So when people like me who drive a stick all the time get into one we hit the brake pedal when reaching for the clutch. (only done that a few times)
chittydog
less busy
+586|6828|Kubra, Damn it!

Teamsreth wrote:

Wow, absolutely amazing!

Firstly, trex, Poser?? You can see into people foot wells when driving, Fuck me, you need to look at the road.
Don't cars have brake lights where you live?
Teamsreth
Complete Tanker
+17|6836|England
Who said anything about constantly braking??? They only go on when the pressure on the pedal activates the brake light switch.

The brake lights only go on when the brakes go on, the same as right foot braking!

Last edited by Teamsreth (2008-06-18 11:20:54)

Ryan
+1,230|6836|Alberta, Canada

Well when you have your foot on the gas and you want to brake, you just have to move your foot over only a few inches and your foot is on the brake pedal. It's just easier if it is a horizontally rectangular shape.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard