too_money2007
+145|6309|Keller, Tx
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25020185/

DES MOINES, Iowa - The rising Cedar River burst through an earthen levee Thursday just outside Cedar Rapids, and at least 10,000 people there have been ordered to evacuate, officials told NBC News.

The evacuations follow a round earlier Thursday when 3,900 homes were cleared out in Iowa City and Cedar Bluffs.

In Cedar Rapids, power is out for most of downtown, complicating rescue efforts, city spokesman Dave Koch told NBC News.

Officials estimate 100 blocks are underwater. "We’re seeing very substantial flooding," said Craig Hanson, the city’s public works maintenance manager.

Cedar Rapids firemen have been organizing boat rescues of stranded residents, Koch said.

The new evacuations follow a 150-foot breach in an earthen levee early Thursday.

If flooding continues, Koch said, Highway 30 will likely be shut down where it intersects the Cedar River.

The Cedar and other rivers across flood-ravaged Iowa continue to rise after more rain overnight and into Thursday.

5 inches overnight
Storms brought up to 5 inches of rain across west central Iowa early Thursday — primarily in the Raccoon River basin.

The Raccoon River meets the Des Moines River in downtown Des Moines.

An army of sandbagging volunteers continued to wage a battle against the state's rising rivers. Gov. Chet Culver has declared 53 of the state's 99 counties as disaster areas. Nine rivers are at or above historic flood levels.

Meteorologist Rod Donavon of the National Weather Service said the water flowing into the Raccoon River "is a concern" as it makes its way toward Des Moines.

Hundreds of people in Cedar Rapids and small towns evacuated on Wednesday. A tornado in the western part of Iowa late Wednesday killed four Boy Scouts and injured dozens.

Officials hoped sandbags would hold back floodwaters slowly moving south and eventually into the Mighty Mississippi.

In the town of Vinton Wednesday, inmates in black-and-white striped uniforms were rescued from a jail by boat as the raging Cedar River flooded the town and forced evacuations, there and in nearby Waterloo.

Officials in Wisconsin also monitored dams and high water in Indiana burst a levee Wednesday, flooding a vast stretch of farmland. In Minnesota and North Dakota, strong winds closed a highway.

Corn prices rise
Along the Mississippi River in Missouri and Illinois, the National Weather Service predicted the worst flooding in 15 years. Outlying areas could be inundated, but most of the towns are protected by levees and many low-lying property owners were bought out after massive flooding in 1993, officials said.

This year's spring deluge led some to compare it to the disaster of 1993 when the Mississippi River and its tributaries turned parts of the nation's midsection into a gigantic lake.

Corn prices hit a record high again Thursday and the short-term outlook did not look good.

"Even if it is drier next week it won't matter now. It's too late to plant corn," said Vic Lespinasse of grainanalyst.com.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers announced it was closing locks and dams on 200 miles of the upper portion of the vital commercial waterway on Thursday, possibly through early July. The locks must be closed to remove and store electric motors that move lock gates and control valves, the corps said.

'Major flooding' likely on Mississippi
The National Weather Service predicted crests of 10 feet above flood stage and higher over the next two weeks. Most of the towns along the Mississippi are protected by levees, but outlying areas could be flooded.

The river was 1.5 feet above flood stage Wednesday at St. Louis, on its way to 5.6 feet above.

"This is major flooding," weather service hydrologist Karl Sieczynski said of the Mississippi.

Meteorologist Bill Karins of NBC's WeatherPlus added: "We are in the middle of a historic flood event in the Upper Mississippi Valley. Most major Iowa rivers are cresting at all-time record levels and this water will soon raise the Mississippi River to its second highest levels in recorded history north of St. Louis.

"The Mississippi river predictions for Burlington, Iowa, call for the crest to be a one in 100-200 year flood, second only to the Great Flood of 1993, which was considered a 500-year flood event," he said.

"The story along the Mississippi River will be all the mid-sized and small towns without large levees," he added. "On the consumer side, thousands upon thousands of acres of farmland will be flooded for weeks with incredible crop losses."
I wonder how many "Bush hates Iowa" people will speak out. Proof that NOLA was full of pieces of shit that deserved to have their houses swept away.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6446|The Land of Scott Walker
We're getting epic rain up here in WI, too.  Fortunately I don't live near a river or lake.
Protecus
Prophet of Certain Certainties
+28|6523
On the other hand, over here on the west coast, we're barely over 50% of annual average rain fall. Gov. Arnie has actually declared it an emergency, asking people to start cutting back and rationing water to extend reserves.

Wanna share the wealth?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6501|so randum
My thoughts are with those affected.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6446|The Land of Scott Walker

Protecus wrote:

On the other hand, over here on the west coast, we're barely over 50% of annual average rain fall. Gov. Arnie has actually declared it an emergency, asking people to start cutting back and rationing water to extend reserves.

Wanna share the wealth?
Hmmm, perhaps we should be collecting this rain and funneling it into large container trucks.
Pinto
+13|6580

Protecus wrote:

Wanna share the wealth?
I live in Cedar Rapids and they're telling us to ration water, as electrical outages are affecting water treatment, which is running at 25%.  We're told to use water for drinking only.
Madhadda1
+270|6546|Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Pinto wrote:

Protecus wrote:

Wanna share the wealth?
I live in Cedar Rapids and they're telling us to ration water, as electrical outages are affecting water treatment, which is running at 25%.  We're told to use water for drinking only.
I also live in cedar rapids, this weather is brutal.  Perpair for the current storm, good luck man
BVC
+325|6697
Best of luck guys!

If water turns to shit, remember that a few drops of bleach in the cistern will take care of the nasties.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6291|Éire

too_money2007 wrote:

I wonder how many "Bush hates Iowa" people will speak out. Proof that NOLA was full of pieces of shit that deserved to have their houses swept away.
I think I'll go with "God hates America" instead, I believe Sharon Stone would call it karma.

Just kidding by the way.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6556

Stingray24 wrote:

We're getting epic rain up here in WI, too.  Fortunately I don't live near a river or lake.
Never realised you were from WI. I lived there for 4 months back in 1999...
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

Stingray24 wrote:

Good to see that at least someone is getting rain. Us, we've been expecting above-average rainfall for the last three-four months now, hasn't come. Getting annoying.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
latinolink
plop plop flop flop
+11|6658|west liberty IA

FatherTed wrote:

My thoughts are with those affected.
thank you, yeah its pretty bad over here even though my town wont get affected as much, but i live 15 miles away from iowa city and they dont have much time till gets flooded. I've been sandbagging for while trying to see if we could save some of the university buildings but that didn't work out so well and just now i just got off work at a local grocery store during the night shift at iowa city i was swamp with work customers were stocking as much as they can, but my prayers go to them.i belive today if does rain the flood water will mix in with iowa city's clean water and it won't take that long .
howler_27
+90|6688
I have a friend who lives on 11th st SW in Cedar Rapids.  As of two days ago he was doing fine.  He told me that the 500 year flood mark ends at 10th st, but I havn't heard from him since Wed.  I know he went out and helped sand bag, so I'm sure that's obviously the priority over a call. 

We aboslutely got pounded here in Wisconsin last night.  The worst flooding that I've seen in my 35 yrs around here.  Crops are trashed, and the train tressle across our river is damn near under water.  It's typically a 6-8 ft gap between the bottom of the tressle and the river on a "normal" flood stage situation.  I guess that 4" of rain in a 15 minute timespan will do that.  It was coming down so hard that you couldn't see the houses across the street. 

I wish the best outcome for our neigbors in Iowa and the rest of the flooded areas throughout the midwest.  A nasty situation indeed.
latinolink
plop plop flop flop
+11|6658|west liberty IA
Well officially yesterday the flood in Iowa City has now but a 8:30PM curfew if your 500 Ft by the river I guess i could foresaw this  because of all the drunks in Iowa City. Anyways today they closed off one of the major bridge in downtown so I guess if you want to go to the other side to go directly to Des Moines is though Interstate 80.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6344|tropical regions of london
what is rain?
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command

God Save the Queen wrote:

what is rain?
The stuff that washes the smog away and turns the hills green for two weeks before they revert to their natural shade of brown.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6344|tropical regions of london
it only seems to come when I wash my car
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command
Then wash your car, please.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard