Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6665|NT, like Mick Dundee

I dont have as many problems as him... Then again I run it on lowest everything, with a crap computer...

512mb ram, ATI X300 SE and a Pent 4 2.9 GHz... Dunno about the motherboard (of the shelf computer and its a piece of shit...)
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6697|Germany
Hmm...

XP64 3000+
GF 6600GT (128MB AGP)
1 Gig of RAM

When I first installed BF2 I only had 512MB of RAM and set the settings way too high,the game was practically unplayable this way.
Now I have a Gig of RAM and run the game on all settings on medium(because of AGP-card),it only jerks once in a while when in a chopper,general loading times are acceptable.

Since I'm upgrading solely for this game anyway(more RAM,new copperhead-mouse,etc..) I thought about getting some more RAM so that the last jerky moments will be gone.
And maybe a nice,not so expensive soundcard(or maybe a top one,50€ more or less,who cares?) because ingame-VoIP won't work with my onboard AC97,it seems there's no way to fix this(all my attempts failed) so the new soundcard would be the only option.

Damn,if I had some more money I'd buy me a friggin monster of a computer,with double SCSI-HDs´and RAID so I get minimal loading times and 2 GF7800-cards(512MB only for graphics,yeah!)working together so the graphic runs fine and smooth without even bothering the RAM of the PC.

Maybe it time to sell my good old Marshall amp,but the guitar will stay with me....

So,is there a big performance boost in terms of smoothness after upgrading to 2 gigs of RAM?
Is the little extra boost worth the money??

Last edited by Mj.Blindfisch (2006-02-27 02:23:33)

=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6833
BF2 = Resource hog.
2gig of ram will fix all of your problems.(unless your computer is just crap)
I have a 6600GT and 2 gig of ram and I run everything on high, no lag.
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6751

Mj.Blindfisch wrote:

Hmm...

XP64 3000+
GF 6600GT (128MB AGP)
1 Gig of RAM

When I first installed BF2 I only had 512MB of RAM and set the settings way too high,the game was practically unplayable this way.
Now I have a Gig of RAM and run the game on all settings on medium(because of AGP-card),it only jerks once in a while when in a chopper,general loading times are acceptable.

Since I'm upgrading solely for this game anyway(more RAM,new copperhead-mouse,etc..) I thought about getting some more RAM so that the last jerky moments will be gone.
And maybe a nice,not so expensive soundcard(or maybe a top one,50€ more or less,who cares?) because ingame-VoIP won't work with my onboard AC97,it seems there's no way to fix this(all my attempts failed) so the new soundcard would be the only option.

Damn,if I had some more money I'd buy me a friggin monster of a computer,with double SCSI-HDs´and RAID so I get minimal loading times and 2 GF7800-cards(512MB only for graphics,yeah!)working together so the graphic runs fine and smooth without even bothering the RAM of the PC.

Maybe it time to sell my good old Marshall amp,but the guitar will stay with me....

So,is there a big performance boost in terms of smoothness after upgrading to 2 gigs of RAM?
Is the little extra boost worth the money??
My next project that i am going to do in my spare time is build a new Dual CPU, Dual GPU computer. just to see what all the fuss is about.
General_CoLin_Tassi
+-2|6700|England, UK
2 Gb RAM(PC4300), 3.4 GHz CPU, PCIex 6800GT 256MB overclocked and RAID 0. I run BF2 with all garphical options set at high plus 4 sample AA. No probs and I load in 1 min 5 secs. Res 1280*1024

Last edited by General_CoLin_Tassi (2006-02-27 12:26:57)

Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6697|Germany

=[4th]=SlayThem wrote:

BF2 = Resource hog.
Yeah,but a PCI-express 6600GT,so it's 256MB of graphics memory,or it is still a AGP like mine?
Methos_Tribun
+0|6740

Flecco wrote:

I dont have as many problems as him... Then again I run it on lowest everything, with a crap computer...

512mb ram, ATI X300 SE and a Pent 4 2.9 GHz... Dunno about the motherboard (of the shelf computer and its a piece of shit...)
Yes I did it to but I think its a waste of our money because the game can or want to show us even more details. No I'm having a Intel 940 dualcore CPU, 3 GB of RAM, SATA-2 HD and the Nvidia 7800 GT Card.
Everything runs fine and the connection to the server doesn't take more then 2 minutes.

I realized, that the street even in Karkand isn't only dust..... and people and buildings have shadows... wow it's awsome

My tipp, get a new PC and the game is double worth it.
1hawaii50
+5|6706
There are many points in the game where your computer will be using about 1.5gigs of ram, so 1 gig will not cut it.  I have an AMD 64 3700, X850XT, and had 1gb of ram and had all kinds of lag. I switched to 2gigs of mushkin redline, and all problems are gone.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6675|Canberra, AUS

Chaos81 wrote:

DarkObsidian wrote:

Anything over a gig really doesn't do much of anything. It's all about the video card.
You've obviously never used 2 gigs of ram.
BF2 is kinda RAM-whoring. When I'm not running BF2 I have over 600MB of free ram (1gb card). When I have BF2 on it slowly drops to single figures.

A good internet connection helps.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Giant_Squid500
+5|6672|U.S.A.
I dont get it, I can run every single other game on my computer at the highest settings possible (includes Half-Life 2 and Lost Coast with HDR and Call of Duty 2) and I load levels in 2 seconds and connect to servers with absolutly no lag what-so-ever. I don't care if upgrading my RAM would help, I still say EA sucks at running this game.

And as someone said earlier I checked again and I actually have barely over 1000, I got 1024.

Last edited by Giant_Squid500 (2006-02-27 09:12:03)

Dr.Battlefield
Got milk?
+150|6752
With 1.2 patch users have some problems with certain videocards. I think this is the primary purpose of 1.21 patch to get rid of this problem. I run game on low, with 512Mb, but my loading time is about 1.0-1.5 mins. No point in upgrade, because I'm going to get 2nd comp soon. So do not upgrade until 1.21 patch. 1.21 might help.
siciliano732
+202|6649|New York
ive got a gig of ram, 2.4 ghz processor, and a ge-force fx 5500 256 mb graphics card.....i get lag more from my schools internet connection more than anything really....somtimes on special forces i get lag....

....can i put the processor i have in my comp now on a new/better motherboard that can hold more RAM if i was to buy one?
luckybaer
+10|6775| Going Feral
RAID 0 is nice from a HDD perspective, too.  However, I noticed a huge improvement upgrading from 1GB to 2GB.  BTW, I only have a 6800GT, FX-53, and 2GB of Crucial Ballistix.  My HDDs are two Seagate 160GB drives in RAID0.  Works nicely for me.
CrazeD
+368|6673|Maine
My friend has an eMachines, with a Windows AMD 64bit 3400+ (Maybe 3200, can't remember) with 2GB of Kingston 333MHz non-dualchannel RAM, and an ATi x800 PCI-e 256mb GPU.

He can play with all settings maxed, with 6x anti aliasing and lags only on servers with 50+ people.

Oh, and RAM definitly has a huge role in BF2. I had two pc2100 sticks of 256mb RAM in my eMachines. I only have two slots available, btw. I bought a stick of Kingston 512mb pc3200 RAM and threw it in with one of my 256mb sticks, totalling 768mb.

Now, when I had the two 256mb sticks in there.. I could do NOTHING. I spawned, took 30 seconds to select a class, couldn't fly because I got about a frame per minute, couldn't do squat. After buying the Kingston and running it with my 256 stick, I could do anything flawlessly (but on low settings unfortunatly). I now have a GB since my friend gave me another 512mb stick when he upgraded, but it's pc2100 and I didn't really see a difference since it sucks.

I have an ATi Radeon 9600 128mb, btw.
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6697|Germany

Mj.Blindfisch wrote:

=[4th]=SlayThem wrote:

BF2 = Resource hog.
Yeah,but a PCI-express 6600GT,so it's 256MB of graphics memory,or it is still a AGP like mine?
Sorry to bump this but SlayThem's inbox is full so I can't send a PM...

Maybe I'm running my BF2 on settings not good enough for my system...

I installed BF2,set everything to kinda high and it was unplayable,so I tuned down the settings,it was still unplayable,so I bought some new RAM,with 1 gig it runs quite ok on medium details.
But I haven't tried yet to set some settings back to high again,I always thought my 6600GT 128MB AGP is the culprit of this "mediumness" of details,not the lack of RAM.

My system specs:
XP64 3000+
GF 6600GT 128MB AGP
1 gig of RAM(I consider upgrading to 2 gigs)

I run BF2 at 1024x768@75Hz,the first 4 settings set to medium,all the lighting and stuff set to low and no Anti-Aliasing.

So that's why I have these questions for SlayThem (AGP or PCI-e?) or anybody else here:

Am I running BF2 on settings too low for my machine?
Is it all depending on just another gig of RAM?Or do the 256MB of the PCI-e cards the trick?

So,in short: What are the best possible BF2 settings for my system specs?
SunTzu
Playdough! Nope C4...
+6|6723|Toronto, ON, CAN
128MB AGP, plus the Ram (what speed is the Gig you have?) could be your culprit.  It could also be what is on your machine...
BTW: when you say "unplayable" do you mean it lags badly online, or that you can't even play single player mode... these are two different problems.

Is you HD defragged?
Do you have 70 items going on your taskbar?
Are your video drivers up to date?
Do you have enough space on your HD for virtual memory (it typically stretches to 10% total disk size)
do you have Anti spyware / Anti virus running when your trying to play?
Have you opened the ports on your router to allow faster data transfer?
What speed is your DSL / Cable?

Also make sure you have turned off all TSR's that you don't need... Messenger alone can cause your ping rates to fly off the board.

I am running a modest, to good machine, with all the settings on high, and Antialiasing at 4x, without lag on 64player servers.
(note: when I say without lag, I mean without lag that is caused by me... you can't control the lag caused by Joe with the 2.0GHz, Radeon X300, and 378MB ram... and he will affect everyone else on the server, which is why he'll be kicked 90% of the time).
Here are the specs:
3.2GHz Intel
800MHz FSB
2GB DDR2 Mem
6800GT 256 (PCI-E)
160GB HDD - 40% freespace
Wireless G Lan, to 256Mbps DSL
(I can get faster / lower pings by going wired, but not enough to want the cable running across the room)

BTW: why is this in the Chatter forum? shouldn't it be a help topic?
Havazn
+39|6694|van.ca

Giant_Squid500 wrote:

I dont get it, I can run every single other game on my computer at the highest settings possible (includes Half-Life 2 and Lost Coast with HDR and Call of Duty 2) and I load levels in 2 seconds and connect to servers with absolutly no lag what-so-ever. I don't care if upgrading my RAM would help, I still say EA sucks at running this game.

And as someone said earlier I checked again and I actually have barely over 1000, I got 1024.
It doesnt matter how you can run other games. BF2 is different entirely in where ALL of the graphics need to be loaded simultaneously. COD2 and Half-Life 2 load between maps too if you recall. Especiall HL2 where even walking between different rooms forces the game to load new textures.

Second, EA didnt write the code. And the only way this game could exist they way it does, is because the technology is available to provide all the graphics necessary.

Get a second job or something. And extra gig of OCZ PC3200 Gold only cost me around ~$150.
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6697|Germany

SunTzu wrote:

128MB AGP, plus the Ram (what speed is the Gig you have?) could be your culprit.  It could also be what is on your machine...
BTW: when you say "unplayable" do you mean it lags badly online, or that you can't even play single player mode... these are two different problems.

Is you HD defragged?
Do you have 70 items going on your taskbar?
Are your video drivers up to date?
Do you have enough space on your HD for virtual memory (it typically stretches to 10% total disk size)
do you have Anti spyware / Anti virus running when your trying to play?
Have you opened the ports on your router to allow faster data transfer?
What speed is your DSL / Cable?

Also make sure you have turned off all TSR's that you don't need... Messenger alone can cause your ping rates to fly off the board.

BTW: why is this in the Chatter forum? shouldn't it be a help topic?
My gig of RAM is DDR PC400 memory.

Unplayable means that there were horrible fps-drops close to zero on 64 player servers,never really extensively tested singleplayer.

HD defrags itself when it's time(O&O defrag),at least I hope it does.

No items on my taskbar except one folder so Alt+Tab works ingame,in the system tray there's only the Razor icon and the Norton autoprotect.

Video drivers should be up to date,I update them regularly.

5.53 of 9.76 gigs HD space free on C:,my D:-partition is 102 gigs big but there are usually only a few gigs free there(Is there virtual memory on D: ?).

I have Norton auto protect running all the time,wouldn't disabling it during online play let viruses and worms infect files without me noticing?

I don't use a router,it's my machine and the DSL-modem,so no ports opening there.

I have 1000er T-DSL with FastPath,125 KB/s down,16KB/s up,that's a common DSL-version here in Germany,on German on Austrian servers I get pings of 10-20,that's definetely not the problem.

No ICQ,Messenger or other stuff running while playing BF2,I'm busy at these moments.

And I don't know why it is in the chatter section,I just read it like all the crap that appears here on a daily basis and I thought I could get some nice tips from people with a similar setup like me.

So,what settings would you recommend after I answered all your questions?
Citizen One
한국 공주
+338|6649|South Korea.
Wow, some people have slow comps. It takes like 10 seconds to load the game for me, i press escape, then ea takes about 30 seconds tops to connect me. then i go to my FAVOURITES list, and choose a server, load it up which takes roughly one minute, experience the horrible lagg fart for about 5 seconds, then happily play the game in medium quality with high textures, usaly without any problems, at the same time i have xfire open and even my xtreme desktop on high setting running in the backround, I might also have a mic connection between me and my mate open as well, And sometimes a couple websites too. Unless I am playing Special Forces, oh boy thats a whole differnt ball game. I have like major crashes and video in game force changes whilke playing that, jesus.
spon
+2|6844|San Jose, CA
Maybe you should move away from dial up?

just kidding.

Have you looked/tried this tweak guide: http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_1.html

It has some interesting stuff in it.  it could help you tone down the video card to the necessary settings.

laterz
Sondar
701SQ Commander
+0|6716

the_heart_attack wrote:

DarkObsidian wrote:

Anything over a gig really doesn't do much of anything. It's all about the video card.
not true, my 6800 lagged when i first entered a round and more ram got rid of it, its no secret bf2 if very ram intensive.
LOL im still running good at 512 ^_^ low settings though but good also have 9600 pro 256MB(ati) and AMD 1800+ some lag now and then plays good, BUT if i get the opportunity i will upgrade to 1gig... now i was thinking of doing 2 x 1 gig since i only have 2 slots... but thats not cool is it ?
Rathji
+1|6683

Giant_Squid500 wrote:

Well I still play this and all my other games (which include Counter Strike: Source, HL2, Call of Duty 2) at full settings and I don't have any problems with slow load times or slow connections to servers on the other games.
BF2 is pretty much the most graphicly intensive games out there, it dwarfs Call of Duty 2 for sure, as for the rest I really can't say since I have never played them.

I had issues like you are describing with a very similar ram/video card , lower your settings and things get MUCH better. My resolution is maxed and about half of my settings are medium, all the lighting etc is off and the rest is low with veiwing distance maxed out and I have zero lag on my end, and exremely quick loading times.

Personally I dont give a shit how many blades of grass thier are, or the pattern on the side of a building.
Impaqt
+37|6638|Chicago, Il
I love how people claim they are running "Everything on High" but fail to mentionwhat Resolution they are running...   THis is a prime factor in settings folks.....   

Most previous gen card will happily run 1024x768 on high setting...   To me..  thats NOT high res....   

I run Dual 6800GS's in SLI on a Dell 20" Widescreen....   with 1 Gig of Ram, I lagged quite a bit starting up....  Now that I'm up to 2 Gigs it load much faster and plays smoothing.  Just a quick Glitch on startup...

I play at 1680x1050..  All High Settings, but No AA.

At 1024x768, 1 Gig is OK......  But anything higher and you NEED 2 Gigs.
DMFDxUconn
+8|6767|Kannapolis,North Carolina
I just bought a new PC. My last one had 512mb RAM. This one has 2g's. The guy who originaly started this thread, i had the same problem as him when loading Bf2. Almost exactly. Now its almost instant. I cut through all of it in less than a minute now. Im playing on max settings. Im even able to play DooM3 on Ultra High settings now. Amazing. Ive come out of the stone age and seen the light, no doubt.

2 gigs of RAM is a must.
SunTzu
Playdough! Nope C4...
+6|6723|Toronto, ON, CAN

Impaqt wrote:

I run Dual 6800GS's in SLI on a Dell 20" Widescreen....   with 1 Gig of Ram, I lagged quite a bit starting up....  Now that I'm up to 2 Gigs it load much faster and plays smoothing.  Just a quick Glitch on startup...
I play at 1680x1050..  All High Settings, but No AA.
At 1024x768, 1 Gig is OK......  But anything higher and you NEED 2 Gigs.
I was leaving out that I also have a 21" Widescreen (Gateway, not Dell) so I run at 1680x1050 - 60Hz... It seemed like I would be adding insult to injury, based on the "I can't play" comments.
Besides, I took a while to get used to the widescreening of everyone onscreen, (why won't EA add a native widescreen mode, it wouldn't let us see THAT much more of the field) !?!
I had to stop using the DVI cable though, because it was glitching with BF2, and nothing else... back to the crappy VGA connector...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard