2tuff
Positive Karma Here!
+357|6768
Such an upsetting read, but what a great man.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6560|Mountains of NC

https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p145/Medusa4Poseidon/memorialDay46.jpg
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6802|Nårvei

What i find strange is this line:

"America will always honor the name of this brave soldier who gave all for his country and was taken to rest at age 19," Bush said. "No one outside this man's family can know the true weight of their loss."

He didn't do it for America, he did it to save his friends - why the mix up to make it more patriotic ?

With that said it was truly a honorable act and he sure deserves to be remembered although i'm afraid he will soon be forgotten by those that wasn't there when it happened
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6612|Mhz

Varegg wrote:

With that said it was truly a honorable act and he sure deserves to be remembered although i'm afraid he will soon be forgotten by those that wasn't there when it happened
The loss of the individual is always forgotton by those not personally involved, it's the sacrifice of all serivce men as a whole that is always remembered.
Varegg
+2,206|6802|Nårvei

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

Varegg wrote:

The loss of the individual is always forgotton by those not personally involved, it's the sacrifice of all serivce men as a whole that is always remembered.
I think that has generally lost some of it's previous glory to die for ones country but that is another debate and i don't wan't to derail this thread with my thoughts on that issue ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Varegg wrote:

What i find strange is this line:

"America will always honor the name of this brave soldier who gave all for his country and was taken to rest at age 19," Bush said. "No one outside this man's family can know the true weight of their loss."

He didn't do it for America, he did it to save his friends - why the mix up to make it more patriotic ?

I'm betting his last thought was protecting his brethren while he yelled grenade also.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6699|67.222.138.85
The people that would do that die, and the people that wouldn't live. Not fair.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6485|N. Ireland
Like Varegg said, perhaps it is a mix up of friendship over patriotism.
Varegg
+2,206|6802|Nårvei

kylef wrote:

Like Varegg said, perhaps it is a mix up of friendship over patriotism.
I think the media and authorities underestimate what their soldiers are fighting for, you may enter a conflict on believes or motives but when you fight you fight for the man next to you, to protect him like you know he will protect you back - the brotherhood you get in a unit of fighting men is truly non political and is all about survival and sacrifice for that brotherhood ...

Like Kmarion said: The brethren.
logitech487
+16|6395|From The State Of Taxes
We will never forget
Marine Corporal Kevin T. Kolm of Hicksville who was killed in the line of duty in Fallujah, Iraq, will have a town park dedicated to his memory on Sunday, Oct. 21. The Town of Oyster Bay will conduct a public ceremony at 1 p.m. at the park, which is home to the Hicksville American Soccer Club and located at the corner of Old Country Road and Plainview Road (one block west of South Oyster Bay Road). As part of the ceremony, inscribed tablets will be unveiled at the park. The tablets will stand as a permanent tribute to a man who played on the ball field as a youngster and later died on the battlefield while defending this nation's freedom.

On April 13, 2004, 23-year-old Corporal Kolm was killed by hostile fire in Fallujah. He was serving in the First Marine Expeditionary Force, having volunteered for a transfer from the Third Assault Amphibian Battalion's Bravo Company to Alpha Company because he knew Alpha was bound for Iraq. He was the crew chief of an amphibious assault vehicle who volunteered his vehicle for an assault on an insurgent stronghold. Corporal Kolm, who was well-liked by all who served with him and often gave nicknames like "Jungle Jam" and "Shaky Jake" to his fellow Marines, was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star Medal for valor in combat. He was proud to stand side by side with his fellow Marines in battle.

Corporal Kolm was the third generation of Kolm men to serve in the Marines. His father, Thomas, served as a corporal in Vietnam and his grandfather, Ralph, served as a corporal in Japan during World War II. They are a family of heroes. Corporal Kolm was a graduate of Hicksville High School and enjoyed playing in local youth sports leagues with his friends and played in the Hicksville PAL lacrosse program. Just as he was on the battlefield in Iraq, Corporal Kolm was known by his peers as a team player and good friend.

"Kevin is a 'True American Hero.' He paid the ultimate price serving his country. This park, in the community where he lived for many years, will serve as reminder to all residents of his sacrifice," said Oyster Bay Town Supervisor John Venditto. "The Marine Corps motto, 'Semper Fidelis,' which means always faithful, signifies the dedication and loyalty Marines are expected to have for Corps and country. Kevin cared about this country, his friends, the community and everyone with whom he came in contact. This park dedication is the town's way of showing how much we cared about him."
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina
Are there guys like this IRL?  I thought that was a movies thing.  Rip.
<BoTM>J_Aero
Qualified Expert
+62|6457|Melbourne - Home of Football
Honour.

But moving all the same.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6521|Global Command
Hero.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

<BoTM>J_Aero wrote:

Honour.

But moving all the same.
Well, It's called the Medal of Honor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_of_Honor

Don't ever correct me again kid.

(lol)
Xbone Stormsurgezz
imortal
+240|6657|Austin, TX
I was going to make a seperate post for this, but it seems much more appropriate to post it in here.  I know it seems odd to post song lyrics in a D&ST thread, but those who "get it" will understand.  It is also to honor the purpose of this thread.

Winter Born, by the Cruxshadows
Dry your eyes and quietly bear this pain with pride
For heaven shall remember the silent and the brave
And promise me they will never see, the fear within our eyes
(my eyes are closed)
We will give strength to those who still remain

So bury fear, for fate draws near
And hide the signs of pain
With noble acts, the bravest souls
Endure the heart's remains
Discard regret, that in this debt
A better world is made
That children of a newer day might remember
And avoid our fate

(I've waited all day in the pouring rain, but nobody came, no, nobody came)

And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winter born
Without denying, a faith is come
That I have never known
I hear the angels call my name
And I am Winter born

Hold your head up high-for there is no greater love
Think of the faces of the people you defend
(you defend)
And promise me, they will never see the tears within our eyes
(my eyes are closed)
Although we are men, with mortal sins, angels never cry

So bury fear, for fate draws near
And hide the signs of pain
With noble acts, the bravest souls
Endure the heart's remains
Discard regret, that in this debt
A better world is made
That children of a newer day might remember
And avoid our fate

We will be your light
And I am Winter born
Without denying, a faith in God
That I have never known
And I am Winter born

I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born

We will be the light
And I am Winter born
Without denying, a faith in man
That I have never known
And I am Winter born

Within this moment now
I am for you, though better men have failed
I will give my life for love
For I am Winter born
And in my dying
I'm more alive, than I have ever been
I will make this sacrifice
For I am Winter born
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6758|Cambridge (UK)
The saving of numerous lives through the self-sacrifice of one.

Is there anything more tragic?

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2008-06-03 19:47:11)

Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6437|The Land of Scott Walker
Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends ...
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6521|Global Command

Kmarion wrote:

<BoTM>J_Aero wrote:

Honour.

But moving all the same.
Well, It's called the Medal of Honor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_of_Honor

Don't ever correct me again kid.

(lol)
Ya kid.
They don't call him " Banomatic" for nuttin'.
ReTox
+100|6491|State of RETOXification

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

The saving of numerous lives through the self-sacrifice of one.

Is there anything more tragic?
...anything more heroic?
Vax
+42|5844|Flyover country

sergeriver wrote:

Are there guys like this IRL?  I thought that was a movies thing.  Rip.
More than a few

Jason Dunham

https://powerlineblog.com/archives/corporaldunham.jpg 

Sometimes they are incredibly lucky as well as  brave

Matt Croucher

Last edited by Vax (2008-06-03 21:46:27)

BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6760
Seriously brave. Not sure I could do something like that.
FallenMorgan
+53|5906|Glendale, CA
I'd like to use this point to say that the army shouldn't be ridiculed like they often are.  Sure, there are fuckups, like the guy who threw a puppy off a cliff, but they largely still can be called a "band of brothers."  Sadly, 4,000 of them were killed by a complete moron, Bush.  Congress was blindsighted, stuck with a war, and they had a republican majority anyways, I think.  The soldier who saved his buddies deserves every little honor thingie, but Bush deserves an orange jumpsuit and a black bag over his head (I'm implying he should be sent to Gitmo).
CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6349|CA, USA

FallenMorgan wrote:

I'd like to use this point to say that the army shouldn't be ridiculed like they often are.  Sure, there are fuckups, like the guy who threw a puppy off a cliff, but they largely still can be called a "band of brothers."  Sadly, 4,000 of them were killed by a complete moron, Bush.  Congress was blindsighted, stuck with a war, and they had a republican majority anyways, I think.  The soldier who saved his buddies deserves every little honor thingie, but Bush deserves an orange jumpsuit and a black bag over his head (I'm implying he should be sent to Gitmo).
oh so Bush threw the grenade?

Let's place blame for the soldier's deaths squarely where it is - on the Terrorists.  we get it, alot of people hate Bush.  don't let it cloud the real problem - militant islam needs to be eliminated.  These brave men are doing us all a great service by taking the fight to the enemy instead of playing cops and robbers approach by your buddy clinton.
FallenMorgan
+53|5906|Glendale, CA

CaptainSpaulding71 wrote:

FallenMorgan wrote:

oh so Bush threw the grenade?

Let's place blame for the soldier's deaths squarely where it is - on the Terrorists.  we get it, alot of people hate Bush.  don't let it cloud the real problem - militant islam needs to be eliminated.  These brave men are doing us all a great service by taking the fight to the enemy instead of playing cops and robbers approach by your buddy clinton.
Bush didn't throw the grenade, but he wouldn't have died if Bush never sent troops to Iraq.  I could see the invasion of Afghanistan - we had evidence Osama was there, but we had no reason to invade Iraq.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard