OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6657|Washington DC

ZombieVampire! wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

They are effectively policed, at least in the US ... they are not as "cowboy" as some would imagine.   That stereotype is from the 1960s/1970s.  Today's intelligence agencies are highly political with much control.

Now, you may not like what they do or how they do it, but their activities are well-regulated.

BTW, I don't work in this stuff anymore for ethical/moral reasons (if that is a hint).
But how do they manage it?  How can you effectively review top secret papers, whilst keeping them top secret?
Obviously, not every top secret paper is reviewed.  Actually, most is shredded. 

But, around here we are the PowerPoint capital of the world.  Life is all "briefings" ... there is a constant flow of briefing material being produced to communicate what is going on and the conclusions that are being reached.  I should mention, that all political leaders in the administration (elected and appointed) have Top Secret clearances & tickets in the relevant areas from which they receive the briefings (Defense, Energy, State, etc), and that corresponding congressional oversight committee members have these same clearances.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5835
But how do they know the info is getting to the briefings?  Or do they have the intelligence agencies moniter each other?
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6402|The Gem Saloon

ZombieVampire! wrote:

How have you proven anything?  You've provided a Wikipedia source for a body who are supposed to look in on the CIA, and you've accused me of ignoring people because I'm so stubborn.  The efficacy of oversight is exactly what the discussion is about, the second claim is demonstrably wrong.

ZombieVampire! wrote:

OP:  I'd honestly wonder how far this is the CIA acting on their own.  The US government doesn't strike me as having a whole lot of control over the CIA.
you asked, a few people have delivered now.

but because you "dont trust intelligence agencies", it falls on deaf ears anyway........

so this:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

OP:  I'd honestly wonder how far this is the CIA acting on their own.  The US government doesn't strike me as having a whole lot of control over the CIA.
was just rhetoric at the end of the day

im done now, but please continue explaining the intricacies of the intelligence community.
im sure people are just awe struck at your knowledge
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5835
Again, you'll notice that I'm talking to people and asking questions.

Mod:  Personal attack removed.
OrangeHound

ZombieVampire! wrote:

But how do they know the info is getting to the briefings?  Or do they have the intelligence agencies moniter each other?
Not sure I know what you are talking about.  Obviously, not every detail is getting into the briefings or is revealed in Q&A with the briefers.  But, intelligence agencies are both a service to their superiors and an agent of their superiors.  I've never run into a rogue operation, and I've never encountered or heard of a portion of the agencies trying to be deceptive to their superiors or carry out some agenda that is contrary to their superiors.

Now, as I alluded to before (and is implied by this thread), the things that intelligence does might seem quite shocking to the average American; but, the administration AND congress is fully aware of what is being done within those agencies.

(This is one of the reasons I find the whole "Bush lied to us" phrase so humorous ... Congress saw the same intelligence briefings as the President and the administration). 

Finally, things may have changed in the last few years, but in the past the intelligence agencies do not interact with one another and they do not monitor each other.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5835
I'm essentially asking: what's stopping them from fudging the breifings?
OrangeHound

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Well, crap, sure ... anyone can lie to their superiors.  But the consequences in this arena are severe. 

You see, everyone with TS clearances gets regular batteries of lie-detector tests.  So, a few months later during the lie-detector screenings, they'll be flagged & investigated/interrogated.  They'll lose their clearance and their job.  If found to be sabotaging the US government's policies, then they'll be put in jail for 40-60 years.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6161|what

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Nothing, other than the fact there are other intelligence agencies which report to the same people. If your in office and smart, you won't just look to one Dept. for information anyway.

The CIA and FBI may operate differently but they do report to each other often as well. It benefits the other party to share resources from time to time. Any conflicting information is better sorted and confirmed for example.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6231|Escea

OrangeHound wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Well, crap, sure ... anyone can lie to their superiors.  But the consequences in this arena are severe. 

You see, everyone with TS clearances gets regular batteries of lie-detector tests.  So, a few months later during the lie-detector screenings, they'll be flagged & investigated/interrogated.  They'll lose their clearance and their job.  If found to be sabotaging the US government's policies, then they'll be put in jail for 40-60 years.
Can't you be shot for sabotaging stuff like that? Wasn't sure if it would fall under treason or something.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5835
Aussie:  Except OrangeHound said they didn't do that.

OrangeHound wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Presumably their accuracy is better than the commercial ones (which IIRC correctly aren't usable in court?)?  Or do they just make them likely to render false positives rather than negatives and then innocence is cleared up in the investigation?

Last edited by ZombieVampire! (2008-06-02 08:22:00)

OrangeHound

OrangeHound wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

I want to add something else ... if I hold a clearance, and notice a person being deceptive to superiors or breaking some other "trust" that is part of the clearances, I must report their activity.  Otherwise, I am in violation of my security clearance agreement.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5835
Right that starts to make more sense............

Obviously you're doing a better job than us.
OrangeHound

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Aussie:  Except OrangeHound said they didn't do that.

OrangeHound wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Presumably their accuracy is better than the commercial ones (which IIRC correctly aren't usable in court?)?  Or do they just make them likely to render false positives rather than negatives and then innocence is cleared up in the investigation?
I don't think it matters.  If you fail a question, you are in for an investigation at some level.

I failed a question once ... actually three times ...  (because it was so HORRIBLY worded) and the next thing I knew ....
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6501|N. Ireland

OrangeHound wrote:

[I failed a question once ... actually three times ...  (because it was so HORRIBLY worded) and the next thing I knew ....
What do you do for a living, anyway?
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5835

OrangeHound wrote:

I don't think it matters.  If you fail a question, you are in for an investigation at some level.
What if you pass one you should fail?
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6765|Argentina

kylef wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

[I failed a question once ... actually three times ...  (because it was so HORRIBLY worded) and the next thing I knew ....
What do you do for a living, anyway?
He sends under cover agents to Iran.
OrangeHound

ZombieVampire! wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

What if you pass one you should fail?
Well, then you pass.  I believe that Aldrich Aimes consistently passed his polygraphs. 

But with each one of these cases, they learn and strengthen the methods they use to discover those who violate their security clearances.  The background investigations cover most aspects about a person ... one gives up a lot of personal privacy to get a clearance.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5835
So, basically passing what you should fail is rare enough that it's covered by the other security measures.

You spy people and your redundancies.  Always one step ahead.
The#1Spot
+105|6548|byah

rammunition wrote:

We read about Iran apparently arming shia militia in Iraq to fight the U.S

BUT

Did you know the U.S is arming/funding/helping groups to kill Iranian soldiers and civilians???

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne … -Iran.html

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/200 … xclus.html

Yet again america makes one rule for themselves, and one for others, the hypocrisy of America doesn't surprise me anymore.
Knew about this for years. What else is new suicide bombing?
OrangeHound

ZombieVampire! wrote:

So, basically passing what you should fail is rare enough that it's covered by the other security measures.

There's a lot of redundancy, yes.  They talk to your friends, family ... they scrutinize all your travel ... they look at your sexual behavior ... they poke around in your bank accounts ... they want to know every foreign national friend you have, etc.  Of course, you give them permission to do all this.

BTW, my favorite question on the polygraphs is "Are you having an affair on your wife?" ... and if you answer yes, I've heard they ask "Does she know about it?"   

If she doesn't know, then I believe you have to tell her or lose your security clearance.  Why? Because it is something you could be blackmailed over.
SoC./Omega
+122|6549|Omaha, Nebraska!
https://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q195/Ara_044/homer_simpson_doh_02.gif

Usually those who worry about others, are the real ones who need to be worried about.

I'm talking about you people in Britain who worry so much about America, you have your own problems, worry about yours not ours.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6419|'Murka

OrangeHound wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

There's a lot of redundancy, yes.  They talk to your friends, family ... they scrutinize all your travel ... they look at your sexual behavior ... they poke around in your bank accounts ... they want to know every foreign national friend you have, etc.  Of course, you give them permission to do all this.

BTW, my favorite question on the polygraphs is "Are you having an affair on your wife?" ... and if you answer yes, I've heard they ask "Does she know about it?"   

If she doesn't know, then I believe you have to tell her or lose your security clearance.  Why? Because it is something you could be blackmailed over.
OH is spot on. Both House and Senate subcommittees provide oversight...plus there are audits done by people with the appropriate clearance levels to track the money and report back. If you screw up and go beyond your charter in the intel community, you spend a lot of time in central Kansas turning big rocks into little rocks.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6488|Somewhere else

As soon as you learn to properly debate or even stick with one thread YOU created, no one will take your comments into consideration.

You make an anti-american thread, respond to selected posts within a few hours time, and ignore any post that descredits you, only to never come back to it later.

Why don't you just make a new thread with in some america bashing comments, and ask a mod to close it for you.

OH SORRY YEAH->

rammunition wrote:

Stay on topic please, Amerifags
Anytime a post makes a good point, you ignore it or post "stay on topic".

blah blah blah and what the fuck ever Ram.  Learn to debate, and maybe i'll start to consider your dumb ass posts again.
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5869

RoosterCantrell wrote:

As soon as you learn to properly debate or even stick with one thread YOU created, no one will take your comments into consideration.

You make an anti-american thread, respond to selected posts within a few hours time, and ignore any post that descredits you, only to never come back to it later.

Why don't you just make a new thread with in some america bashing comments, and ask a mod to close it for you.

OH SORRY YEAH->

rammunition wrote:

blah blah blah and what the fuck ever Ram.  Learn to debate, and maybe i'll start to consider your dumb ass posts again.
what i love is that Americans think they are perfect and do no wrong, the dilution is laughable. Its no wonder why people in Britain, YES Britain are starting to get fed up with the yanks
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6231|Escea

rammunition wrote:

RoosterCantrell wrote:

OH SORRY YEAH->

rammunition wrote:

what i love is that Americans think they are perfect and do no wrong, the dilution is laughable. Its no wonder why people in Britain, YES Britain are starting to get fed up with the yanks
I'm not fed up with them, how many have you actually MET in person?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard