Should I get Xp or Vista?

Get Windows XP32%32% - 32
Get Vista 64 bit43%43% - 42
Get vista 32 bit15%15% - 15
Windows 95 ftw!8%8% - 8
Total: 97
The#1Spot
+105|6531|byah
Since every current game still works on xp and dx10 is just eye candy and there is far less chance getting a problem why get vista?
02fxnmaurer
+75|6473|Birmingham UK
64 bit vista
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6582|Reisterstown, MD

Vista because Microsoft will soon end support for XP and DX10 is only Vista so you won't be able to play games in the future that are DX10 related.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6820|Grapevine, TX

ghettoperson wrote:

Server 2008. (Y)
DirectX10 support/ capability??
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6757|Cambridge (UK)
You could put a little 'Built for Vista x64' logo on the front of your case, that's how much you should be buying 64bit Vista.

Well, that is, buy Vista Retail - whatever edition you want - but make sure it's Retail - I'd recommend Home Premium, but, with Ultimate Retail you get BOTH 64bit and 32bit in the box - however, with lesser editions, you only get 32bit in the box BUT Microsoft will send you the 64bit version (scroll right to the bottom of the page (oh and note I've not actually done this myself ever so dunno if you'll be charged or even if you'll get it (but I have requested things from Microsoft in the past of this nature (and they've always delivered (and any charge has been reasonable)))))

And, yes, yes, I know retail is like twice the price - but you are getting twice the product - and it's not tied to the hardware - so you can buy a whole new PC and not have to buy Vista again (but obviously you couldn't, well shouldn't, then use both machines with that one Vista license).

If you really can't afford retail, make absolutely 100% certain it is definitely 100% guaranteed 64bit (I believe it is possible to get 64bit Vista OEM - but you may have to search).

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2008-06-01 14:59:36)

Scorpion0x17
+691|6757|Cambridge (UK)

konfusion wrote:

Shouldn't Vista Ultimate already allow you to run up to 4GB of RAM (not sure exactly how much)?
Actually, check here, it confirms what I'm saying.
To confirm the confirmation of those figures (I never entirely trust yahoo answers) see here ('bout half-way down).

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2008-06-01 15:05:33)

jaymz9350
+54|6568

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

You could put a little 'Built for Vista x64' logo on the front of your case, that's how much you should be buying 64bit Vista.

Well, that is, buy Vista Retail - whatever edition you want - but make sure it's Retail - I'd recommend Home Premium, but, with Ultimate Retail you get BOTH 64bit and 32bit in the box - however, with lesser editions, you only get 32bit in the box BUT Microsoft will send you the 64bit version (scroll right to the bottom of the page (oh and note I've not actually done this myself ever so dunno if you'll be charged or even if you'll get it (but I have requested things from Microsoft in the past of this nature (and they've always delivered (and any charge has been reasonable)))))

And, yes, yes, I know retail is like twice the price - but you are getting twice the product - and it's not tied to the hardware - so you can buy a whole new PC and not have to buy Vista again (but obviously you couldn't, well shouldn't, then use both machines with that one Vista license).

If you really can't afford retail, make absolutely 100% certain it is definitely 100% guaranteed 64bit (I believe it is possible to get 64bit Vista OEM - but you may have to search).
yes you can get 64 bit oem and at least on newegg it's not hard to find, just look at the product name and it specifies 32 or 64.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6640

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Server 2008. (Y)
DirectX10 support/ capability??
Yup. It's Vista without all the shit no one wanted in the first place.
Brasso
+1,549|6621

Vista 64 bit tbh.

That's what I'm getting for my rig (ordered today!) VVVV
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Scorpion0x17
+691|6757|Cambridge (UK)

jaymz9350 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

yes you can get 64 bit oem and at least on newegg it's not hard to find, just look at the product name and it specifies 32 or 64.
Cool. I woulda said "(but I haven't looked recently)", but I thought I had enough brackets already.

I'd still go retail myself.
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6438|Boulder, CO
For the record if your a student then you can buy the student edition for alot less money than normal, still the retail edition but its about £60

http://www.software4students.co.uk/Micr … tails.aspx

Its the exact same one as the normal ultimate, though it is the upgrade edition.

oh, seems its actual an OEM version only. Still usefull to know about.
csmag
+92|6438|Canada
Windows 95!

Spoiler (highlight to read):
Seriously, Vista 64.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6528|Long Island, New York
Vista 64, no doubt. I have it, and I love it.

Warning, you may experience problems with BF2, but they're relatively easy to fix.
Stimey
­
+786|6111|Ontario | Canada

Poseidon wrote:

Warning, you may experience problems with BF2, but they're relatively easy to fix.
And USB problems
­
­
­
­
­
­
Wallpaper
+303|5985|The pool

Stimey wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

And USB problems
?

Im going to try to get my sister to get me Vista via her school (will only be $20 ) Are there THAT many problems with 64bit?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6528|Long Island, New York

Stimey wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

And USB problems
wat

I've never, not once, ever experienced USB problems.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6438|Chicago, IL
vista

microsoft will be phasing out xp support in coming years
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5895|CA
Best option would be to make two partitions, and Dual Boot XP & Vista.  That's what I do, so I don't have to go through loops trying to figure out older games on Vista. (BF2 gave me shit on Vista...)

I use XP for my older collection of games, and Vista for everything else.  (I made my XP partition 60GB out my 250GB, and devoted the remaining to Vista)
VicktorVauhn
+319|6383|Southern California

.Sup wrote:

jaymz9350 wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Just don't come moaning here when nothing works in Vista. Plz.
wow i didn't realize nothing works in vista.   I wonder how my pc works then.
Mine worked too, then it died.
EVERYTIME I heard people bad mouth vista on forums (often enough) I ask people to name a specific problems they are having with vista.

So far every single person has either not answered back, complained about person preference/being more accustomed to XP, or it was user error. Mind indulging me with the specifics of your problem (what service pack, how long ago, what happened ect...)

My vista laptop has had zero problems, I have never had a single problem with compatibility and it has been much better at handling/finding drivers (95% of the time it find everything automatically on the internet)

Go with Vista, you will have to upgrade eventually...DX10 support is good, and the only real reason not to is if your computer cannot handle it.

Linux offers a badass command prompt for advanced user, and is amazingly custimizable... but as a newb running ANYTHING (or even getting stuff installed) feels like a huge victory, and hardware support sucks a lot (all though it does an amazing job just recognizing some basic stuff, VP needed network card drives, linux just worked.) If your a gamer its a shit answere though,

Actually reading the last post, BF2 did have problems at first too...but turning off UAC fixed everything.
Stimey
­
+786|6111|Ontario | Canada

Poseidon wrote:

Stimey wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

And USB problems
wat

I've never, not once, ever experienced USB problems.
I finished building my computer on the weekend
But the first time I loaded Vista on to it it wouldn't recognize my USB mouse, or my headset.
Thankfully I had a PS/2 Keyboard and I had to reformat
­
­
­
­
­
­
Fosterthelegend
:)
+97|6606|Kent, UK
I assume I should go ultimate rather than home premium?
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6611|Mhz

Fosterthelegend wrote:

Personally I see no real reason for Ultimate, Home Premium has pretty everything you'd want for a gaming rig afaik.

I'm sure someone can point out anything useful in Ultimate if I'm wrong.
Fosterthelegend
:)
+97|6606|Kent, UK

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

Fosterthelegend wrote:

Personally I see no real reason for Ultimate, Home Premium has pretty everything you'd want for a gaming rig afaik.

I'm sure someone can point out anything useful in Ultimate if I'm wrong.
yes plez
Cause saves me about 40 quid doing home premium and tbh I have no idea what the difference is
Mitch92uK
aka [DBS]Mitch92uK
+192|6226|United Kingdom
https://img374.imageshack.us/img374/2350/vistacompare2v470741412oh2.jpg
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6611|Mhz

Well going by that, unless you're one of the tin foil hat brigade and are paranoid about data encryption on your hard drives, it's utterly pointless getting Ultimate

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard