Slickdawg8
Visit TAW.NET
+58|6780|Long Island
I've had Vista for a really long time.  However, out of nowhere now, it seems to randomly freeze for about 1 second, then it continues again.  For instance, I am listening to music with iTunes, and when it freezes, the mouse stops moving, and i hear repeating sound out of my speakers (the usual freezing symptoms).  It isn't THAT big of a deal, but it happens more frequently than I would like it to, so can anyone help me fix it?  I have service pack 1 if that helps, but installed it when it was first released, and had one internet problem with it but fixed it and haven't had a problem since.  Lol it just did it as I was typing this.
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6141|New Jersey
Hit CTRL + SHIFT + ESC to bring up task manager and check the CPU usage column.  Is any one process using over 50%?

There could be a million causes of this, but because it just started happening out of nowhere, I'm thinking virus.
Slickdawg8
Visit TAW.NET
+58|6780|Long Island

SpIk3y wrote:

Hit CTRL + SHIFT + ESC to bring up task manager and check the CPU usage column.  Is any one process using over 50%?

There could be a million causes of this, but because it just started happening out of nowhere, I'm thinking virus.
No single process is over 50% CPU usage, but as I went into task manager, it happened again.  I'm doing a virus scan now so we'll see how that goes, its picking up some spyware too so hopefully that solves it, but i doubt it.  I'll keep task manager open and wait for it to happen again and see how much CPU usage there is on apps.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6495|N. Ireland
Sounds like it could be your hard drive. Many drives can become slow and not-up-to-standard after a bit of use (and occasionally new). My Samsung has lasted me 4 years come Christmas, and is now starting to show its sign of age and possible death - things take about 3 or 4 seconds to respond occasionally, media sometimes skips and then plays again for a second etc.

The good thing is - there are numerous things you can do to ensure your drives safety:

1. Defrag
2. Run chkdsk

You'll be able to find a lot more information about both of these on the web, or even here as there have been a few hard drive threads recently. Hope this helps!
Slickdawg8
Visit TAW.NET
+58|6780|Long Island

kylef wrote:

Sounds like it could be your hard drive. Many drives can become slow and not-up-to-standard after a bit of use (and occasionally new). My Samsung has lasted me 4 years come Christmas, and is now starting to show its sign of age and possible death - things take about 3 or 4 seconds to respond occasionally, media sometimes skips and then plays again for a second etc.

The good thing is - there are numerous things you can do to ensure your drives safety:

1. Defrag
2. Run chkdsk

You'll be able to find a lot more information about both of these on the web, or even here as there have been a few hard drive threads recently. Hope this helps!
Thanks!  I'll look into that without a doubt.
And I couldn't help but see your sig, I can't wait for that!  Prison Break is my favorite.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard