Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6579|SE London

kylef wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

kylef wrote:

Sorry, the reason 'gas' is so high is that people are scared it will rise. And so it does. Just like the property market, contrary to what the buyers think, they are doing it themselves. The newspaper reports oil prices are rising so people get worried and expect prices to rise, so they do. I'm not saying they will magically fall again, but it isn't just that oil is running out.
No. Just like the property market, it is a matter of supply and demand.

UK house prices are currently falling because people cannot afford to buy them (due to credit crunch and rising mortgage prices). This creates a reduced demand and means the prices fall until the market stabilises.
The reason the market is unstable is because people are worried of your two-decadely market crash. Wasn't there one 20 years ago? And 20 years before that? Now, people take it as it comes like that - ie, it'll happen every 20 years. I was watching the news earlier when they asked some randomer on the street about what he thought of this and he said "don't buy, just rent. the market is going to crash!" - it's this that causes the crash.
No it isn't. It's to do with overlending in an economic boom. Something that has happened across the globe. The sub-prime property market in the US has also had a huge impact. It's got very, very little to do with future speculation.

People don't buy at the moment because the banks have very little money to lend, so rates are high. If you have a large deposit, you can get a decent mortgage, but if not, you can't. That's why there are so many big programs to lend the banks taxpayers money so more money is available for them to lend, so mortgages can be more affordable. Although the UK property market has been growing at far too high a rate and a crash has been predicted for a long time - it is just current economic weaknesses that have caused it to come about.

As with all economics, no matter how in depth and complicated it gets, it all comes down to the basic principles of supply and demand. People being worried and not spending is not a cause, it is a feedback effect and in the case of oil prices, is of negligible importance.
wensleydale8
+81|6767|LEEDS!!!!!, Yorkshire
Well with the housing market still falling and rising fuel prices oil gas ect I think that the present situation will get worse before its gets better what we need is for the for the; federal reserve, bank of england ect to pump more money into the economy this may not improve it much over the long term but if peaople can get the mortgages from the banks to buy houses ect and slow the rate at which the house prices are falling I think this may help a bit in the short term.

And also here in the UK 60% of what we pay for petrol and diesel is tax which increases each time the cost of fuel goes up and the Exchequer gets £24M a day.

But will the government reduce the tax will they hell theyll lose too much money for example you work and your wage gets taxed and if you buy a car you get taxed(VAT) again and you need road fund tax to put the vehicle on the road then when you buy petrol you pay fuel duty tax then VAT ontop of that fuel duty tax so by the time you have bought a car and filled it with petrol you have payed tax 5 times which is fucking digusting.

Oh yeah with oil prices being so high a (english) gallon is £5.20 (petrol) diesel is more expensive and they have said if oil prices continue to rise which they undoubtebly will petrol here will cost well over £6 a gallon.
Yet  in countries such as venezula petrol is 0.7p a litre and diesle in iraq is only 1p a litre 1p btw is about 0.5 of a cent.
Dear God please let my karma one day reach 100, whether it be tomorrow or 1000 years in the future i want it to happen.
topthrill05
+125|6575|Rochester NY USA
No. Flat out no to short term solutions, it's these that have led to the mess we are in.

It's time to suck it up and implement long term solutions that won't look good at all in the short run.

Throwing money at the problem is the absolute worst way to solve this problem, if anything the (US) Fed needs to raise interest rates and yes congress needs to raise taxes. In the long run this will be a good thing but because these bastards like their jobs they just keep lying to the sheeple, the best is McCain and Hillary's gas tax or the 600-1200 you get from the government. But people somehow follow blindly and think its all gonna be all right.

Yeah it's gonna be allright....
IRONCHEF
+385|6488|Northern California
Hey, finally got a pic of the prices I pay!  God bless King George!
https://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk103/lronchef/407.jpg
doug1988
spank that azz.
+146|5856|Nibiru in a far away galaxy
I'm getting sick and tired of hearing a NEW RECORD high for oil/gas , eveyday . got damn it. Government is hoarding oil for the next war in the mid-east
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6341|tropical regions of london
I paid 4.12 a gallon today for 87.  39 bucks to fill my tank up from half.
d4rkst4r
biggie smalls
+72|6451|Ontario, Canada

retro77 wrote:

Its simple: Weak dollar + lower oil demand + the oil refinery fires/shut downs = high gas prices.

I drive 2001 Yukon XL and its probably over $100 to fill up. I only put $30 in at a time so it doesn't hurt so much. My next car will not use gasoline at all.
how the fuck does a low oil demand give you higher gas prices????????????????
"you know life is what we make it, and a chance is like a picture, it'd be nice if you just take it"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard