ghettoperson
+1,943|6700

I'm looking at getting my mum a new laptop for her 50th birthday, and I've got about £400 to spend on it. What's the best deal I can get for that money? I've been looking at Dell, purely because you can get them with XP rather than Vista, but I'm sure you guys know some places that do them as well. I can reinstall XP over Vista, but I'd rather not have to do that due to laptops being a bitch with drivers etc. For the money, I can get something along these lines from Dell. CPU's a bit weak, but it should suffice. As I said though, better suggestions wanted.

Latitude D531 Mobile AMD Sempron™ 3600+ Processor (2.0GHz)
Genuine Windows® XP Professional (Service Pack 2)
15.4" WXGA LCD (1280 x 800 resolution)
2.0GB, 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM Memory (2 x 1024MB)
80GB serial ATA HDD 5400RPM
8x DVD 24x CD-RW Combo Drive
6 Cell 56WHr Primary Battery
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6489|King Of The Islands

Surely you could get a Core Duo (commercially Centrino Duo) for the same money. Not shur on what 400 quid gets you, about $1000 here which is Core Duo territory.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6700

Actually I can get an Inspiron with a 1,8Ghz C2D for £408. Thing is then I'm stuck with Vista (for some reason) then and they charge me 60 quid shipping (included in the 408) which could be better spent elsewhere.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6489|King Of The Islands

euro.dell.com doesn't show me any option for XP, fags. They also don't offer the Centrino Duo, and PentiumDC is ratshit.

If you front up some cash for petrol monies you could possibly find something.

Your proposed machine is fine, but Dual-core is the Future™.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6618|NYC / Hamburg

ghettoperson wrote:

Actually I can get an Inspiron with a 1,8Ghz C2D for £408. Thing is then I'm stuck with Vista (for some reason) then and they charge me 60 quid shipping (included in the 408) which could be better spent elsewhere.
When you have a C2D I see no reason to not get vista. Old software that's never been updated that she has to use?
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6190|New Jersey
A C2D and 2GB of RAM will be able to handle 32 bit Vista fine.  Don't worry about performance issues.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6544|N. Ireland
Definitely a DELL. My mum got one herself not so long ago and it is actually way to powerful for what she does, yet it was the cheapest one on DELL! Just get 2GB of RAM and at least a 1.8GHz processor and you should be set

Edit: http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/produ … &s=dhs

Last edited by kylef (2008-05-21 00:35:58)

.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6504|The Twilight Zone
I recommend HP. I have one for 5 years now and my dad also has one for 3 and they both work flawlessly. HP also has very good tech and driver support.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6700

max wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

When you have a C2D I see no reason to not get vista. Old software that's never been updated that she has to use?
I probably wouldn't care if it were for myself, however you have to remember this is for someone that still struggles with an OS she's been using 6~ years.
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6700
Whatever happened to flowers and a bottle of wine?
Mitch92uK
aka [DBS]Mitch92uK
+192|6286|United Kingdom
what about;

https://img376.imageshack.us/img376/7631/vostro1400ov8.jpg

Vostro 1400

I know there's only a gig of ram but they want £50 to add another gig! If you desperately want a second gig you could get it elsewhere for a fraction of the price.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6618|NYC / Hamburg

ghettoperson wrote:

max wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

I probably wouldn't care if it were for myself, however you have to remember this is for someone that still struggles with an OS she's been using 6~ years.
Well my parents <3 vista and they are complete computer nubs
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Kashmir
The J-10 is my J-10
+39|6744
ghettoperson
+1,943|6700

Think I'll just get an Inspiron with Vista then. Seems like the best deal for the money.
sinnik
+16|6048|@defamations pad taking notes.
Not sure if you've bought already but this deal doesn't seem too bad

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/143899

£349.97 - seems like agood price
ghettoperson
+1,943|6700

I haven't actually bought it yet, due to Dell taking 10 days to ship and I'm leaving the UK in 2 days. I'll just get one when I get home. Cheers for the link though, I'll consider it when I'm back.
Brasso
+1,549|6681

.Sup wrote:

I recommend HP.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard