krAzi
+17|5968|Some Strange town
i bought a truck(as a project)...but the previous owner had cut and spliced into wiring (ignition harness) to have a ghetto toggle to start and run the truck because he was to lazy to pay the small amount to get a new ignition cylinder...i think he cut out the ignition switch but I'm not sure...I need help figuring out what he removed and also identifying what is what pics to follow ( 90 Chevy s10 2.5l 5speed) any help will be appreciated and awarded with karma if useful

https://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8859/s10001lt7.jpg
https://img137.imageshack.us/img137/9947/s10002ip6.jpg
https://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9535/s10003ot7.jpg
BlackKoala
+215|6337
Nobody can tell you which wire is which without looking at either a schematic or the terminating ends, but this can.

http://www.haynes.com/products/searchTy … ductID/243

Get it.  Love it.
krAzi
haynes or chilton doesnt help...but thanks ne ways
jsnipy
+3,276|6534|...

Cut the red one! ... oh wait ..
krAzi

jsnipy wrote:

Cut the red one! ... oh wait ..
at the moment it sounds good but no lol
Benzin
+576|6010
I would recommend looking up one of the S10 forums. From there, you'll need a wiring schematic of the car, you should be able to download an FSM for your car. FSM = Factory Service Manual

Those maintenance manuals are nothing compared to having an FSM in your hands and those can be bought (with a high price) or downloaded from the Internet (most of the time) from someone that scanned it all into PDF files.

Good luck and I hope that you get your truck working. Electronics on cars are hellish.
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6661|Washington DC

Benzin
+576|6010
He's trying to find out what was cut and where. Knowing the colors and what it all is won't help. He needs the wiring schematic for the wiring harness.
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6661|Washington DC

CapnNismo wrote:

He's trying to find out what was cut and where. Knowing the colors and what it all is won't help. He needs the wiring schematic for the wiring harness.
Well, it has the colors of the wiring harness, so that was at least a start.

Anyway, here is a 1987 S-10 Schematic (1987 is in the design range of the 1990 truck):

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/ … 1241b1.gif

https://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d801241b1.gif
krAzi

OrangeHound wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

Well, it has the colors of the wiring harness, so that was at least a start.

Anyway, here is a 1987 S-10 Schematic (1987 is in the design range of the 1990 truck):

It helps in a sense but i still cant figure out what the blue box is or what the black box is either some thing connects them together or they go to seperate things??? HALP!!! lol
LOG
dain bramaged
+51|6133|Punta Gorda,Florida
if your not restoring it to cherry condition then just leave it the way it is as long as it works. you can always use a club steering wheel lock to keep it from being stolen.

go buy the ignition harness it usally clips into the main wiring harness and replace that and the ignition cylinder or use the ignition harness  as a guide to fix what ya need then return the ignition harness  and get your money back.

go to junk yard and  take pics of the wiring harness then use  pics to compare and fix yours  or cut out a ignition harness  off another s-10 and use it to replace  old one.

some of those connectors you will find go to nothing. for that model truck. they make the harness universal for s-10's the connectors might be extra for your model but used in others.

after looking at those pics again it looks like he didnt cut any thing out. but he unplugged the wires for the sterring column. do the turn signals work ? ive seen that done and they usally take toggle switchs and wire them up for turn signals. does the horn work ? reason i ask is if the plastic parts for the horn and or turn signals go bad some people will do a rewire. basically they just unplug everything form the column and

they find the wires needed to make their own turn signals,horn,ignition etc. because to tear apart a sterring column to replace those parts is too much for them. its a alt fix to keep you running. i had a 86 ranger the pre owner tore the column apart to fix those parts but couldnt do it. he put it back together and sold the truck. i took it and made my own push boutton starter, used toggle switchs  for turn signals etc. ran it for 2 yrs till i sold it.  was a work truck so i didnt care about how it looked as long as it got me to and from work.

Last edited by LOG (2008-05-19 07:50:21)

you learn the true meaning of life when you see houses and cars blow by like leaves on a windy day.
krAzi
horn, turn signals work...Where i live (NH) a car has to pass inspection to be on the road and there a tad bit picky about toggles and switches like what i have at the moment...I also think he didnt cut ne thing but he did splice into wires. i bought a new ignition cylinder and installed it but the wiring is so messed up and confusing ugh...but good idea tho so thanks and 1+ to you...any other help is atill appreciated
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6821|Nårvei

If you know someone with an identical car that would help ... if he didn't cut anything you can leave the splices like they are, just insulate the loose wires and tape them so it looks good ...

Did the new ignition lock work btw ? .. you didn't say ... or isn't it installed yet ?
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
krAzi
the new ignition cylinder is in but it doesnt work and im assuming its becuase those boxes need to be plugged into something or wires are not where they belong...
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6821|Nårvei

krAzi wrote:

the new ignition cylinder is in but it doesnt work and im assuming its becuase those boxes need to be plugged into something or wires are not where they belong...
Nomally there is one fat red wire going from the ignition to the starter assy ... see if you can find and follow that one from start to finish ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
krAzi
will do...going to run into town aswell and ask around at a couple of auto shops
krAzi
So any one want a truck? no one seems to know what they go to or what they are...
Reciprocity
+721|6592|the dank(super) side of Oregon
if that's like most GM steering columns there should be an ignition switch bolted to the top of the steering column about a foot and a half down from the steering wheel.  The blue and black connectors plug into the ignition switch.  The ignition cylinder controls an actuator rod that which in turn contols the ignition switch.

It looks like he did some splicing with speaker wire, so if your lucky nothing was actually cut.
krAzi

Reciprocity wrote:

if that's like most GM steering columns there should be an ignition switch bolted to the top of the steering column about a foot and a half down from the steering wheel.  The blue and black connectors plug into the ignition switch.  The ignition cylinder controls an actuator rod that which in turn contols the ignition switch.

It looks like he did some splicing with speaker wire, so if your lucky nothing was actually cut.
How sure are you of this? becuase if your very sure then you are

Last edited by krAzi (2008-05-19 18:40:08)

Reciprocity

krAzi wrote:

How sure are you of this? becuase if your very sure then you are
That's how most older model GM ignition systems are set up.
krAzi
ok, so in order for me to get to my ignition switch i would have to take my dash apart to get to it becuase i see no other way of doing it lol
Reciprocity
Drop the steering column.  remove the plastic covers on the lower side of the dash.  There should be two nuts, probably 15mm, holding the column to the support.  If the truck is an automatic, with a column shifter you will have to disconnect the PRNDL indicator cable.  That should give you enough space to see what's going on and fix it.
krAzi
can i fly you to my garage lol...ill report back as soon as i find it
Reciprocity

krAzi wrote:

can i fly you to my garage lol...ill report back as soon as i find it
forgot:
you may also have to remove some nuts or bolts from the base of the steering column, on the firewall.
krAzi
Ok did what u said and low and behold thats where they went...wont find out till tommarow if she will start up...but your a life saver!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard