CameronPoe
+2,925|6554

m3thod wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

I don't see why this is a story. One braindead douche bag, probably representative of a small minority of the US armed forces, uses a Q'uran for target practice. Big wow. This story making the headlinges is an example of CNN bias, equal and opposite to that of Fox.
The potential wider repercussions that will emanate from the the actual ill thought out event.  And not to mention many seem to have the inability for many to grasp why this has consequences.
I know why this will have consequences but it is the same as publicising some rabid irrelevant imam saying something stupid and malicious in order to generate general anti-muslim sentiment.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-05-19 01:52:29)

loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6577|Columbus, OH
The U.S. Army should of shown Private dumbass aptitude test. Everyone would of lulz instead of getting angry.
rawls2
Mr. Bigglesworth
+89|6559
Would I don't get is why people care. I mean most of the people against the US are also against religion. So how is this a bad thing. On this very forum the bible has been called a fictional collection of stories. So how is the Quran different and why should it matter what the soldier did to it.
Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6361|Vancouver

rawls2 wrote:

Would I don't get is why people care. I mean most of the people against the US are also against religion. So how is this a bad thing. On this very forum the bible has been called a fictional collection of stories. So how is the Quran different and why should it matter what the soldier did to it.
The Quran is absolutely no different. I enjoyed the thought of a Quran being shot, but its implications reach farther than an anti-Islamic act. This is not something the United States Army would want publicized, nor would the politicians relish the results of reactionary forces against the United States. It is a situation of a foreign soldier committing an act such as this in another country whose people and society he is meant to protect.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6670|UK

Drakef wrote:

rawls2 wrote:

The Quran is absolutely no different. I enjoyed the thought of a Quran being shot, but its implications reach farther than an anti-Islamic act. This is not something the United States Army would want publicized, nor would the politicians relish the results of reactionary forces against the United States. It is a situation of a foreign soldier committing an act such as this in another country whose people and society he is meant to protect.
Why would the thought of a a book of religious text of which is revered by many people being shot be pleasurable? I don't get it.  I wouldn't be too impressed to see the bible being shot or indeed the Torah.  Why do people focus on the negative i.e. the people who use faith for their own personal political and financial ends?

Its entirely possible the Quran , Bible and Torah have been used to help people, i absolutely guarantee that the message in these books which you people despise have helped the poor, fed the malnourished and helped provide a heaven against an oppressor.  But no its destruction is a source of morbid gratification.  The religious texts go beyond a fairytale.

Last edited by m3thod (2008-05-19 12:59:17)

Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6554

Drakef wrote:

I enjoyed the thought of a Quran being shot
???

I'm an atheist and I don't find someone urinating on the bible, farting on Buddhist scriptures, shooting at the Quran or shitting on the Torah in the least bit enjoyable. It's playground nonsense - not what one would expect of an adult. Your view on this really is quite moronic, uncultured, immature, vacuous, senseless and repugnant. Insulting people simply for the sake of insulting people is not clever, it's not big and it's not 'the grown up thing to do'.
m3thod
+2,197|6670|UK

rawls2 wrote:

Coz the US went into Irak to liberate and declare freedom.....and not to riddle the shit out the personal faith of the millions of the people it had came protect from them there imaginary bombs.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6554

m3thod wrote:

rawls2 wrote:

Coz the US went into Irak to liberate and declare freedom.....and not to riddle the shit out the personal faith of the millions of the people it had came protect from them there imaginary bombs.
I don't think many Americans really know what the fuck the US are supposed to be doing over there tbh...
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6342|tropical regions of london

rawls2 wrote:

youre about as smart as a sack of hammers.
Enzzenmachine
+20|6344
well to me it's just a book, not better than bible. I don't have an high opinion of these books anyway. But I do admit that it's counter productive to act like the soldiers acted. It's not worth of it tbh.

Last edited by Enzzenmachine (2008-05-19 13:23:24)

Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6361|Vancouver

CameronPoe wrote:

Drakef wrote:

???

I'm an atheist and I don't find someone urinating on the bible, farting on Buddhist scriptures, shooting at the Quran or shitting on the Torah in the least bit enjoyable. It's playground nonsense - not what one would expect of an adult. Your view on this really is quite moronic, uncultured, immature, vacuous, senseless and repugnant. Insulting people simply for the sake of insulting people is not clever, it's not big and it's not 'the grown up thing to do'.
It is not the act itself that impressed me, but the nature of the act. In that action, it is withholding the 'holiness' of the Quran and recognizing it as a mundane object. In the particular way that the soldier acted does not strike me as anything fantastic, if not "playground nonsense" as you put it well. I see no value in firing at a Quran particularly, but as a social statement, there is an interesting essence to it that intrigues me. It is well known that I am anti-religious, and that I view Islam as a repulsive, violent religion. Functionally, this act is definitely misguided, as I have clearly stated, for practical reasons of the situation; however, it is not necessarily wrong if viewed within the single context of a man firing at a book.

Perhaps I wrote too quickly in my initial post that did not fully explain my position, but I somehow doubt that even this will clear it up. We will likely still disagree at the day's end. I never thought that I would find myself at the end of one of CamPoe's tirades, but that is one particularly vicious statement you have made. Fuck you too, buddy.
God Save the Queen
Banned
well, soldiers arent there to make their own personal, social statements.  especially non commissioned officers.
Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6361|Vancouver

God Save the Queen wrote:

well, soldiers arent there to make their own personal, social statements.  especially non commissioned officers.
It is not advisable to save time by only reading every other line. You might miss a sentence.

Drakef wrote:

Functionally, this act is definitely misguided, as I have clearly stated, for practical reasons of the situation.
Or two.

Drakef wrote:

Its implications reach farther than an anti-Islamic act. This is not something the United States Army would want publicized, nor would the politicians relish the results of reactionary forces against the United States. It is a situation of a foreign soldier committing an act such as this in another country whose people and society he is meant to protect.
Obviously, I supported the act (end sarcasm).
God Save the Queen
Banned
wow, another guy who hates religion.  rare around these parts.
Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6361|Vancouver

You speak as if that were wrong.
m3thod
+2,197|6670|UK

Drakef wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Drakef wrote:

???

It is not the act itself that impressed me, but the nature of the act. In that action, it is withholding the 'holiness' of the Quran and recognizing it as a mundane object. In the particular way that the soldier acted does not strike me as anything fantastic, if not "playground nonsense" as you put it well. I see no value in firing at a Quran particularly, but as a social statement, there is an interesting essence to it that intrigues me. It is well known that I am anti-religious, and that I view Islam as a repulsive, violent religion. Functionally, this act is definitely misguided, as I have clearly stated, for practical reasons of the situation; however, it is not necessarily wrong if viewed within the single context of a man firing at a book.

Perhaps I wrote too quickly in my initial post that did not fully explain my position, but I somehow doubt that even this will clear it up. We will likely still disagree at the day's end. I never thought that I would find myself at the end of one of CamPoe's tirades, but that is one particularly vicious statement you have made. Fuck you too, buddy.
Religion cannot be violent unless practised to be violent.  It is man who is repulsive and violent.  If the concept of religion was never created do you really think we would have peace.  Some fucker would find another limp excuse to go on a slaughtering rampage.  Is it innate to hate? To kill? To conquer? Or do you need a book to tell you what to do?

Last edited by m3thod (2008-05-19 14:08:00)

m3thod
+2,197|6670|UK

Drakef wrote:

Drakey your a nice bloke but your hate is misguided.
God Save the Queen
Banned

Drakef wrote:

its just trendy.  I question whether or not most people who say that they hate religion, really do.
Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6361|Vancouver

m3thod wrote:

Drakef wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

???

Religion cannot be violent unless practised to be violent.  It is man who is repulsive and violent.  If the concept of religion was never created do you really think we would have peace.  Some fucker would find another limp excuse to go on a slaughtering rampage.  Is it innate to hate? To kill? To conquer? Or do you need a book to tell you what to do?
I would tend to agree on that tenet. Men are repulsive and violent, and we will always have violence. I tend to disagree with those who believe that religion is the ultimate evil. However, there is much I do disagree with about religion, particularly philosophically and logically. Religion is merely an extension or tool for men to act immorally, and that is why religion has its reputation. We can claim religion its purest form is non-violent, but its use by men produces so much violence and hatred. There cannot be religion practiced as meant to be. Thus, we must blame the religion that allows for justifications of these excesses of men.
m3thod
+2,197|6670|UK

Drakef wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Drakef wrote:

I would tend to agree on that tenet. Men are repulsive and violent, and we will always have violence. I tend to disagree with those who believe that religion is the ultimate evil. However, there is much I do disagree with about religion, particularly philosophically and logically. Religion is merely an extension or tool for men to act immorally, and that is why religion has its reputation. We can claim religion its purest form is non-violent, but its use by men produces so much violence and hatred. There cannot be religion practiced as meant to be. Thus, we must blame the religion that allows for justifications of these excesses of men.
Religion can be practiced safely and peacefully.  Statistically it is only a very small minority who pervert the interpretation of a religious faith to meet their agenda.  There is no wholesale blood thirty religious cult that demands the death of millions of people (not least to my knowledge).  It only requires a small quantity of individuals to create an interpretation of a faith of which is marketed to what can only be described as the uninformed as their "resistance".  It becomes logical to assume everyone with this faith behaves and shares their 'ideals'.  You only have to read the anti-Muslim tirades on this forum to see how Al Qaeda has transformed Islam into a monstrous entity that wants to either force everyone to convert or die.  It is human nature to use a benevolence in order to further ones campaign.  Man doesn't need religion as a justification, it's just religion has always been easy to use as justification due to its hazy and extremely Interpretatious nature.

Last edited by m3thod (2008-05-19 15:19:02)

13rin
+977|6478

chittydog wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/05/17/iraq.quran/index.html

CNN wrote:

The U.S. military on Saturday formally apologized to an Iraqi village after a soldier admitted using the Quran -- Islam's holy book -- for target practice.

Maj. Gen. Jeffrey Hammond apologizes after a soldier admitted using the Quran for target practice.
.....  ... the Quran" and "America out, out."
Come on. It's because of stuff like this...    ....  I hope he thinks long and hard about the ramifications of his actions and how many new recruits the insurgents will get from this.
Meh, they burn our Flag and effigies of our leaders, we shoot their book... Who cares.  I would have called their police guy a liar and been done with it.  If he wouldn't shut up I tell everyone that for the last two weeks he'd been eating pork with the troops in the barracks.

How many new recruits?  Again who cares.  If they were gonna join it isn't really because of that.

What this should do is illustrate (cartoon reference) how fucked up Muslims in general are.  But does this happen? NOOOoooo.  The media and muslim radical sympathisers alike attack the good guys.  How about getting pissed off at decapitated hostages or something for a change?  Where was the outcry then?  Old news?
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6404|North Carolina

CameronPoe wrote:

Drakef wrote:

???

I don't know...  jizzing on the Rig Vedas is kinda hot.

But seriously, I think Christopher Hitchens has it right about mocking religion.  http://www.slate.com/id/2135499/

A choice passage is the following:

"Islam makes very large claims for itself. In its art, there is a prejudice against representing the human form at all. The prohibition on picturing the prophet—who was only another male mammal—is apparently absolute. So is the prohibition on pork or alcohol or, in some Muslim societies, music or dancing. Very well then, let a good Muslim abstain rigorously from all these. But if he claims the right to make me abstain as well, he offers the clearest possible warning and proof of an aggressive intent. This current uneasy coexistence is only an interlude, he seems to say. For the moment, all I can do is claim to possess absolute truth and demand absolute immunity from criticism. But in the future, you will do what I say and you will do it on pain of death.

"I refuse to be spoken to in that tone of voice, which as it happens I chance to find 'offensive.' ( By the way, hasn't the word 'offensive' become really offensive lately?) The innate human revulsion against desecration is much older than any monotheism: Its most powerful expression is in the Antigone of Sophocles. It belongs to civilization. I am not asking for the right to slaughter a pig in a synagogue or mosque or to relieve myself on a 'holy' book. But I will not be told I can't eat pork, and I will not respect those who burn books on a regular basis. I, too, have strong convictions and beliefs and value the Enlightenment above any priesthood or any sacred fetish-object. It is revolting to me to breathe the same air as wafts from the exhalations of the madrasahs, or the reeking fumes of the suicide-murderers, or the sermons of Billy Graham and Joseph Ratzinger. But these same principles of mine also prevent me from wreaking random violence on the nearest church, or kidnapping a Muslim at random and holding him hostage, or violating diplomatic immunity by attacking the embassy or the envoys of even the most despotic Islamic state, or making a moronic spectacle of myself threatening blood and fire to faraway individuals who may have hurt my feelings. The babyish rumor-fueled tantrums that erupt all the time, especially in the Islamic world, show yet again that faith belongs to the spoiled and selfish childhood of our species."

I think he's spot-on.  And the more I think about this issue, the more I get the feeling that it may come down to something like what Lotta posted earlier.  Maybe we just have to offend as many Muslims as possible, so that we can separate the crazies from the rational ones, and when the crazies show themselves, we can just kill them in self-defense, since they will try to attack us anyway.

Of course, I know that's not gonna happen, but it is rather amusing.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5826
Or you could try not needlessly antagonising them.

But hey, why let common sense get in the way of a violent solution!

rawls2 wrote:

I'm not anti-religion.  Some of the people I most respect are Christian.  I get upset when they're needlessly attacked.

Last edited by ZombieVampire! (2008-05-19 18:50:14)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6404|North Carolina

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Or you could try not needlessly antagonising them.

But hey, why let common sense get in the way of a violent solution!
If they wouldn't get needlessly offended, it would be much easier.  But hey, a little population control might not be so bad.  I mean, if their god is here to protect them, then they'll prevail against our superior weapons, right?  What have they got to fear?
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5826
There has only ever been one serious issue related to Islam, and it was the cartoons which were drawn up specifically to attack it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard