Microwave
_
+515|6656|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
I've got a really strange problem here but I'm guessing there's a fairly simple solution.

I cannot connect to the internet at all, (it's not the browser - I've tried with IE, firefox, opera). I've also tried clearing all the temp intenet stuff with CCleaner. And also unplugging and plugging back in my router. I'm on a wired connection.

However, I can browser all the computers in my home network and most strangly... I can play steam games online, like css, so it can't be a hardware problem. (When I load steam I can also talk to friends but I can't see any of the community pages).

I'm on my xp boot at the moment hence the internet. But this problem is all on vista.

I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the DNS related stuff.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited by james@alienware (2008-05-18 05:13:16)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6495|N. Ireland
Try rebooting your router? Before doing that, try typing 'ipconfig /flushdns' (minis quotations) into CMD.
Microwave
_

kylef wrote:

Try rebooting your router? Before doing that, try typing 'ipconfig /flushdns' (minis quotations) into CMD.
Yeah, I've tried both of those already
']['error
Banned
+630|6645|The Netherlands
reformat

j/k

Have you tried right mouseclick on network thingy in system tray and "diagnosis and repair" ?
motherdear
+25|6653|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)
had the same problem on one of the computers in my house, turned out that it was the anti-virus program that had rooted itself in the operating system and then cutting off the browsers, could still play games but when we had to access the internet we would do it through my computer->address bar and then use that as the browser (it's kinda weird but it should work) but try to access the internet that way and then reinstall all your browsers and anti-virus programs.

hopefully this should work
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6455|The Twilight Zone
Sometimes i loose all of my Internet connections except TeamSpeak connection->i can still chat with my friends= its usually ISPs fault.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
jamiet757
+138|6624
Yeah it is probably something to do with your firewall/AV programs.
Microwave
_
I doubt it's anti virus or firewall because it just randomly happened after a reboot.

I didn't change any settings on either of them.

I've tried all the diagnose and repair stuff, vista seems to know there's a problem but can't do anything about it.
[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober
mmmm...Toasty!
+91|6723|Oregon
my isp was the culprit last time this happened to me, but the time before that my nic went bad and started blocking ports at random.
motherdear
+25|6653|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)
james it was exactly the same thing that happened to our computer here though, so if you can access it through my computer then it is properly the same problem. if not then it's properly something else.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard