Rick Astley Concert19%19% - 19
Other14%14% - 14
Total: 98
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6648

Spearhead wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Personally, I'm OK if I'm wrong about the spiritual sanctuary thing. Would suck to believe otherwise (and behave accordingly), then find out you were wrong afterward.
Why do religious people always assume that if you don't believe in god or an afterlife, you have no morals? 

Just because you believe there's no point to anything (like me) doesn't mean you treat everyone else like crap or anything.  Morality has nothing to do with spirituality.
I don't think he was even making that point. I generally behave in a much more moralistic manner than most church goers I know.
FallenMorgan
+53|5916|Glendale, CA
Why is it that religious people assume in general that people who don't believe in god/the afterlife generally would have no purpose in life?  It seems like the three dogmas of the desert are death-obsessed.  In my opinion Heaven and Hell were only ancient fairy tales taken out of proportion.  Maybe a thousand years from now there'll be a religion worshipping Santa Clause...
Laika
+75|5945
It seems obvious that brains are needed in order for us to operate our bodies. Science has also shown us that neurological signals from our bodies make us sense things. From this we can conclude that we are at least partially linked to the material world through material connections in our bodies.

However, science cannot tell us from which mechanism consciousness arises. This leaves us with the question of whether we are brain matter or something spiritual. It seems easier to assume that our brains are the sole cause of our Being, but this assumption leaves us with the responsibility of understanding exactly how something that is made up of only atoms and molecules can experience things such as thought and emotion.

I think what this question boils down to is whether or not consciousness is something spiritual or material. Are we brains or are we consciousness that lives within our brains? If the former, then it seems likely to me that we entirely cease to exist upon death. If the latter, then it seems likely to me that our journey does not end with the death of our bodies.

Last edited by Ataronchronon (2008-05-14 14:07:17)

Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6845|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Eaten by worms.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6413|'Murka

Spearhead wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Personally, I'm OK if I'm wrong about the spiritual sanctuary thing. Would suck to believe otherwise (and behave accordingly), then find out you were wrong afterward.
Why do religious people always assume that if you don't believe in god or an afterlife, you have no morals? 

Just because you believe there's no point to anything (like me) doesn't mean you treat everyone else like crap or anything.  Morality has nothing to do with spirituality.
First, I'm not what one would call "religious".

Second, I was speaking more to behavior counter to most monotheistic belief systems, not implying that atheists or agnostics are inherently immoral or amoral.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina

CameronPoe wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigor_mortis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decomposition
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6447|The Land of Scott Walker
The journey is just beginning at death.  We will arrive at Heaven or Hell, depending on whether or not we accepted Christ's free gift of salvation as forgiveness for our sins.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6448|Chicago, IL
eternal rickroll...

your "soul" is a complex compilation of electrochemical impulses and neuron interaction, that ceases to function shortly after the heart stops beating, due to lack of oxygen required to fuel the energy intensive neuron activity.

Shortly thereafter, the immune system fails, due to lack of oxygen and neural command, allowing bacteria to multiply unchecked, which then proceed to rapidly metabolize the basic sugar and proteins in soft tissues.

these bacteria release the nutrients in your body back into the environment, where they are used to nourish some other form of animal, so some part of you will live on forever, just not how most may picture it.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6572|Portland, OR, USA
Your soul drifts from your physical self and you rise into everlasting bliss in a setting more beautiful than anything you can imagine.

Unless of course you jumped onto the ever logical "god doesn't exist" or "whoops I didn't accept Christ as my savior" boat, in which case your creator -- who loves you very, very much -- denies you entry to the aforementioned "Heaven" and you spend all of eternity in hellfire.

/sarcastic religious lulz
dan673
+46|5984

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Your soul drifts from your physical self and you rise into everlasting bliss in a setting more beautiful than anything you can imagine.

Unless of course you jumped onto the ever logical "god doesn't exist" or "whoops I didn't accept Christ as my savior" boat, in which case your creator -- who loves you very, very much -- denies you entry to the aforementioned "Heaven" and you spend all of eternity in hellfire.

Might want to put this on:

https://img513.imageshack.us/img513/1489/flamesuitbl0.jpg
Bevo
Nah
+718|6523|Austin, Texas

Ataronchronon wrote:

It seems obvious that brains are needed in order for us to operate our bodies. Science has also shown us that neurological signals from our bodies make us sense things. From this we can conclude that we are at least partially linked to the material world through material connections in our bodies.

However, science cannot tell us from which mechanism consciousness arises. This leaves us with the question of whether we are brain matter or something spiritual. It seems easier to assume that our brains are the sole cause of our Being, but this assumption leaves us with the responsibility of understanding exactly how something that is made up of only atoms and molecules can experience things such as thought and emotion.

I think what this question boils down to is whether or not consciousness is something spiritual or material. Are we brains or are we consciousness that lives within our brains? If the former, then it seems likely to me that we entirely cease to exist upon death. If the latter, then it seems likely to me that our journey does not end with the death of our bodies.
Yay evolution! Do you think we came to be as humans, from single celled organisms? From a little nucleus floating around... receives data about the outside, adapts, reproduces... adapts, reproduces. It's kind of cool to think about.

However, I'm going to admit that it seems odd to make a leap from, say animals' base functions (eat, sleep, care for pack, reproduce) to logic, reasoning, analyzation. Perhaps there was an outside stimulus so great that our response-to-surroundings times greatly increased to what we now call reasoning, which allowed us to make assumptions... which.

Anyway. The poll... rot in the ground. Hopefully not, but either way.
liquix
+51|6456|Peoples Republic of Portland
you worry about where you go after death, I'll worry about bettering the world we live in already.

Last edited by liquix (2008-05-14 20:56:34)

CommieChipmunk
+488|6572|Portland, OR, USA

liquix wrote:

you worry about where you go after death, I'll worry about bettering the world we live in already.
That the truth.

Life is so much more precious when you come to realize that there's a massive chance that there's nothing afterwards.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6768|Cambridge (UK)
I believe that, after you die, a purple hippopotamus, called Gerald, takes you to the Land of Green, where animals called radgangers skip, and jump, amongst the orange fnargleberry bushes, and all is prendrous.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6708

AutralianChainsaw wrote:

72 virgins.
What happens when you run out of virgins?
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6708

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

I believe that, after you die, a purple hippopotamus, called Gerald, takes you to the Land of Green, where animals called radgangers skip, and jump, amongst the orange fnargleberry bushes, and all is prendrous.
No acid 4 U!
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6768|Cambridge (UK)

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

No acid 4 U!
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6683|Disaster Free Zone
Pointless thread. It doesn't matter what you believe because you'll be dead, and that will be the end of it.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

A man's dying is more the survivors affair than his own.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6580|Columbus, OH

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

AutralianChainsaw wrote:

72 virgins.
What happens when you run out of virgins?
72 infant mouths to feed after getting the virgins knocked up
howler_27
+90|6689
Personally I believe that there is a spiritual afterlife out there.  I mean, what would be better than spending some quality time with Rick James while snorting a line off of a hookers ass?
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6185|Ireland
We have all missed Hale Bop and will be forced to decay with the rest of the mortals.  Nah-New Nah-New.
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6579|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

^*AlphA*^ wrote:

nothing

hard for me to believe that a "soul" can live on.

on a more serious note:

"Rick Astley Concert"
FallenMorgan
+53|5916|Glendale, CA

CommieChipmunk wrote:

OMG for a minute I thought you were serious.

Lol.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6683|Disaster Free Zone

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Just because you are rich does not give you access to anything you want, you still need to pay the admission price. If not you can wait out in the gutter like every other bum.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard