ATG
Banned
+5,233|6531|Global Command
Because if you do you will be forced to use the new ' environmentally sound ' gas cans.
I was gonna say the inventor and/or politicians that mandated this bullshit should be dragged to the street and shot through the skull, ya know, ATG style. But, I'm covered in gas, there is a half gallon on the floor and this old koot said it better;
I DETEST the new five-gallon gasoline container spouts.
Each spout has a push-it-back sleeve on the outside, and a lip on that sleeve. The idea is that you hoist up the can, hook the lip onto the bottom edge of the gas tank you are attempting to fill, then push against the bottom of the can. The idea is that the sleeve slides back, exposing holes that (1) allow gasoline to pour into the tank, and (2) allow air to vent into the tank, equalizing the pressure and keeping the gasoline flowing.
Hogwash. More hogwash.
The idiot(s) who decided that these tops ought to be used on five-gallon cans of gasoline should be fired. If they are elected officials, impeach them.
The spouts do not work as advertised.
They CAN work as advertised.
But more often than not, I spill enough gasoline to create more fumes than ever escaped when I used the old-style containers with the take-it-off caps and the vent buttons at the other side of the can's top.
One of our mowers has a gas tank with a semi-flexible opening. So when one pushes down on the can, the spout disengages abruptly as the rim bends, spilling gasoline onto the ground and onto my clothing.
My shoulders and elbows are arthritic. Hoisting a five-gallon gasoline container is now tricky business. It can be done, but precision balancing, never my forte, is darn near impossible.
Yes, vapor emissions from gasoline cans pose environmental problems. They also are bad for us, and for our equipment. We all know that gasoline degrades over time, gets gummy, and mungs up our engines' carburetors, fuel injectors, etc. Common sense dictates that evaporation of volatile particles speeds up that process.
So the logical solution should be: BAN STUPID PEOPLE FROM BUYING CONTAINERS OF GASOLINE! And allow the rest of us to use, with care, containers with open-at-the-end capped spouts. We'll remove the caps, then replace them.
Someone, somewhere, decided to penalize every buyer of new gasoline containers by equipping them with sleeves that allow more pollution than they were designed to prevent. You can't find an old-style spout on a gasoline can anywhere.
May I suggest that the shit-for-brains that mandated this actually try to put gas in their car. Then light a match.
IRONCHEF
+385|6492|Northern California
Got a picture of this new thingy?  Hard to imagine what it looks like.  And for what it's worth, you can use water containers at Big5 (they have sizes from 3 to 7 gallons, with spouts, air hole, and heavy food grade plastic).
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6623|London, England
Sounds more like something the Oil companies pushed for (behind closed doors)

More spilt petrol = sucka's have to buy more
ATG
Banned

IRONCHEF wrote:

Got a picture of this new thingy?  Hard to imagine what it looks like.  And for what it's worth, you can use water containers at Big5 (they have sizes from 3 to 7 gallons, with spouts, air hole, and heavy food grade plastic).
https://www.autobarndeals.com/catalog/5spprplcacan.gif
IRONCHEF
+385|6492|Northern California
oh.. so i don't get it.  what's the big deal?  is it hard to use or something?
ATG
Banned
Spills gas everywhere.
Unreal.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6673|UK
use a funnel?
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
howler_27
+90|6689
And just what might you hit the lip of the nozzle on?  The problem is that the nozzle needs to hit the outer lip in order to put enough pressure on the valve to open.  Since the valve leaks like a POS, the gas spills onto the ground because your near the outer edge of the filler, and not the center of the filler as with the Older style setups.  I had one of these as well, and it's a total POS.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6345|tropical regions of london
to the original poster:

we get it, the USA sucks.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6572|USA
is it possible to just work the fucker with your hand? otherwise that sucks ass.
topthrill05
+125|6579|Rochester NY USA

God Save the Queen wrote:

to the original poster:

I don't think that was what he was going for.

But you already knew that, just wanted to be an ass today?
JahManRed
wank
+646|6629|IRELAND

We have had them for years...... pure rubbish! Seams the 'health and Safety', politically correct crowd are catching up with you now.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6132|North Tonawanda, NY
ATG, I agree.  These things are terrible.  I truly hate them.
Commie Killer
+192|6388
I went to a junkyard and pulled 3 old cans out of it. Problem solved for me..
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6570|Mountains of NC

I've realized my gas cans are mobile

I wait for my little light to come on ............. pull up next to someone

https://www.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/2041839/SiphoningGas_Full.jpg
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
CommieChipmunk
+488|6571|Portland, OR, USA

SEREMAKER wrote:

I've realized my gas cans are mobile

I wait for my little light to come on ............. pull up next to someone

http://www.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/ … s_Full.jpg
I'm hoping you're pulling up to a parked car, because it'd be rather difficult to do that in traffic.

Last edited by CommieChipmunk (2008-05-17 16:46:10)

Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6708
Yea... because so much of our air pollution is gas fumes that were created from people filling up portable tanks.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

to the original poster:

Wow, you seem incapable of making a single useful comment.

Did you even read the OP?

---

I hope they fix this. Gas is by far the best alternative fuel currently available (that is, until we manage to unlock methane clathrates... but then we still have the CO2 vs. Methane problem), but any benefits would be quickly neutralised and even offset by spillages. Methane is an incredibly powerful greenhouse gas, remember.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
Looks like an ORVR gas can I guess. (On board refuelling vapour recovery)
This is seriously OTT.
I know well refuelling at a service station generates a lot of vapour - and in the US this is captured by the ORVR system.
But people don't often refuel from a portable can, and the single gallon is hardly a big deal.
So really its trivial.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6345|tropical regions of london

Spark wrote:

to the original poster:

Wow, you seem incapable of making a single useful comment.

Did you even read the OP?

---

I hope they fix this. Gas is by far the best alternative fuel currently available (that is, until we manage to unlock methane clathrates... but then we still have the CO2 vs. Methane problem), but any benefits would be quickly neutralised and even offset by spillages. Methane is an incredibly powerful greenhouse gas, remember.
you seem incapable of reading more than one thread it seems.  why dont you get off the douche bag band wagon that everyone seems to be jumping on in this thread and read my other posts before you start criticizing my style.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard