Guy.Buddy.Friend
coks
+71|5872
I've been messing around with it for close to a year now to find the right settings. So I thought I'd share my knowledge with others in the BF2s community to help them hit targets better. I know there is already a thread like this, but I've got some different information.
(Just a forewarning, none of this is fact or proven knowledge as far as I know. This is all past experience. I've been playing for a long time and have had a lot of league play experience as well.

Usersettings CON file
Direct path ->"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\Settings"

As long as I've been playing I've heard people (including me) complain about not hitting their targets, even though they clearly did. This is due to the fact that your hitbox ( Note:this is what determines whether or not you get hit. Think of as the polygon that your skin is wrapped around) drags behind you as you move, usually depending on how fast your moving.

Example, you're walking. Your hit box is only slightly behind you.
Example, you're running. Your hit box is slightly farther behind you than it was before.
Example, you're dolphin diving/jumping around like a loon. Your hit box and possibly your interface (if you're the "jumpee") will be glitched and the hit box won't respond the right way.
The problem is the time it takes for information to reach the server from your computer. If your computer is slower due to either hardware/software issues or settings within the game can affect how you hit targets in game.

Now, to help fix this problem lies in one of your game folders. To my knowledge, this is still legal. I wouldn't care if it wasn't legal anyway because it improves game performance. Not to mention EA hardly cares. It doesn't necessarily give you an edge, because you are also more likely to get hit, but it will help you hit your targets more. Back on topic. Go to your folder that contains the Battlefield 2 (Note: you can do this for mods as well, like PR or Sandbox) mod.

https://i25.tinypic.com/2heexhh.jpg

(Note: The Battlefield 2 folder should be in your Program Files folder, not in My Documents.)

Open the circled folder, then open the "Settings" folder. Look around in there and you should find a file called "Usersettings", it's a CON file.

There will be a few lines of information. It should look like this.

Code:

rem
rem Settingsfile automatically saved by bf2
rem
SettingsManager.boolSet GSClPunkBuster 1
SettingsManager.floatSet GSDefaultLatencyCompensation 0.100000
SettingsManager.boolSet GSExtrapolateFrame 0
SettingsManager.U32Set GSExtrapolationTime 1200
SettingsManager.U32Set GSInterpolationTime 100
SettingsManager.U32Set GSPerfLogAtPlayerCount 30
SettingsManager.stringSet GSPlayerName "[Replace With Player Name]"
SettingsManager.boolSet GSShowNetGraph 0
SettingsManager.boolSet GSUseObjectCache 1
The "secret" to getting better hit reg is to mess with the numbers a bit. I got my information from Wikipedia one day while searching for variations and suggestions, because my current settings still weren't good enough.
Here's what I came up with after reading explanations of what each did
By the way, paste this into your Usersettings CON file. Just replace the player name line with your EXACT player name

Code:

rem
rem Settingsfile automatically saved by bf2
rem
SettingsManager.boolSet GSClPunkBuster 1
SettingsManager.floatSet GSDefaultLatencyCompensation 0.045000
SettingsManager.boolSet GSExtrapolateFrame 1
SettingsManager.U32Set GSExtrapolationTime 60
SettingsManager.U32Set GSInterpolationTime 40
SettingsManager.U32Set GSPerfLogAtPlayerCount 60
SettingsManager.stringSet GSPlayerName ".Genera|-Idea."
SettingsManager.boolSet GSShowNetGraph 0
SettingsManager.boolSet GSUseObjectCache 1
After this I noticed a major difference in my hit registration. Although these settings may work for me, they may not work for you. If they don't please PM me and I'll send you a different set of lines to try.
I can't stress this enough though, it is extremely important thing that you  set your latency (ping) in the server that your on.
You do this by pressing the tilde (~) in-game on a multi player server. I suggest writing this down. You type the following code into the console screen that pops up after hitting tilde in-game.

Code:

SettingsManager.floatSet GSDefaultLatencyCompensation 0.050
This stands for a ping of 50ms (0.050). Notice how the original setting was at 1000ms (1.000), which I assume EA set as the highest you could go before disconnecting as a precaution to help (sarcasm tags) stabilize (end sarcasm) BF2.

I plan to put up videos to show the difference between default settings and fixed settings sometime in the near future. I'm also expanding the guide to fix other hit reg issues, such as resetting your recoil and "shot styles". If you'd like to help please send me a tell.
P.S., I'll be updating this quite a bit. So I'll fix grammatical errors and such.

Last edited by Guy.Buddy.Friend (2008-04-15 19:02:18)

Adamshannon8
+94|6190
old....
Guy.Buddy.Friend
coks
+71|5872
It may be "old" but there are many new players who probably don't know about this.
I appreciate the input though, if you guys have questions or concerns just ask and I'll help you as best I can.
Adamshannon8
+94|6190
AIO HITREG-Tweaker Guide By PentaDemos (Posted: 1 month, 1 week ago (Today is April 15, 2008))

What are your usersettings? (Posted: 3 months, 2 weeks ago (Today is: April 15, 2008 ))

but w/e, i guess chuy wont mind more spam....
Guy.Buddy.Friend
coks
+71|5872
Well, I look like a numb nuts then. I haven't ever seen that. Sorry for the spam. Mods can delete if you wish.

Last edited by Guy.Buddy.Friend (2008-04-15 18:52:21)

Flonster
Karma Ratio whore
+178|6552|-removed you know why- mod
adamshannon fail.
Runs_with_sciss0rs
Well butter my buscuit
+121|6197|14072
Yea Adam you don't have to be such a dick.. Guy.Buddy.Friend is just helping us out. He put a lot of work into this as you can see...

I'll try this later.. Will this help me with the tv rockets going through other helicopters?
Guy.Buddy.Friend
coks
+71|5872

Runs_with_sciss0rs wrote:

Yea Adam you don't have to be such a dick.. Guy.Buddy.Friend is just helping us out. He put a lot of work into this as you can see...

I'll try this later.. Will this help me with the tv rockets going through other helicopters?
It should. I've had buddies who say it helps when they fly jets. I'm not sure if it works like it would for TV missiles because that and the eryx aren't very functional.

Last edited by Guy.Buddy.Friend (2008-04-17 12:36:19)

TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5910|CA
...Thanks for posting, really makes the difference.

Last edited by TopHat01 (2008-04-18 22:11:21)

Shaftoe
+4|6742
This is - without a doubt - cheating.  Modifying your game to give you an advantage that is not enjoyed by the rest of the community is a violation of the ROE:

3.1 Use of Cheats or Hacks

3.1.1 Players may not change (hack) any core games files or effectively change game settings by employing external programs or cheats for the purposes of giving themselves an unfair advantage over other players.
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6387|the land of bourbon

Shaftoe wrote:

This is - without a doubt - cheating.  Modifying your game to give you an advantage that is not enjoyed by the rest of the community is a violation of the ROE:

3.1.1 Players may not change (hack) any core games files or effectively change game settings by employing external programs or cheats for the purposes of giving themselves an unfair advantage over other players.
im pretty sure all of this is legal... correct me if i'm wrong, but people have been doing this since the game has been out, and PunkB doesnt kick for it, right?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
Shaftoe
+4|6742
Doesn't mean it's not cheating...
steelie34
pub hero!

Shaftoe wrote:

Doesn't mean it's not cheating...
well if it's any consolation, i've never used any of these modifications and i handle myself pretty well on the battlefield.  the only thing that will truly make you better is practice! 
BeerzGod
Hooray Beer!
+94|6575|United States

Shaftoe wrote:

This "rule" has nothing to do with modifying your settings files to decrease your ping, reduce lag, or attempt to better your hit registration. It clearly says that it's "illegal" to use an EXTERNAL PROGRAM to modify core game files. "Hacks" ARE external programs that change the game files in BF2 to give you aimbots, wallhacks, etc. etc.

Modifying your settings is not considered cheating and this debate has gone on forever. It's not an unfair advantage because any player with half a notion to get the most out of their game could spend five minutes and google "battlefield 2 tweaks" and get pages of websites dedicated to helping players with their settings. If changing your personal settings wasn't considered legit then EA wouldn't allow you to change them in the first place.
Flonster
Karma Ratio whore
+178|6552|-removed you know why- mod

Shaftoe wrote:

also a perfect mouse / screen / GFX?

this imho is a real advantage to other with a 386....
Shaftoe
+4|6742

BeerzGod wrote:

Shaftoe wrote:

This "rule" has nothing to do with modifying your settings files to decrease your ping, reduce lag, or attempt to better your hit registration. It clearly says that it's "illegal" to use an EXTERNAL PROGRAM to modify core game files. "Hacks" ARE external programs that change the game files in BF2 to give you aimbots, wallhacks, etc. etc.

Modifying your settings is not considered cheating and this debate has gone on forever. It's not an unfair advantage because any player with half a notion to get the most out of their game could spend five minutes and google "battlefield 2 tweaks" and get pages of websites dedicated to helping players with their settings. If changing your personal settings wasn't considered legit then EA wouldn't allow you to change them in the first place.
"external programs OR CHEATS"

it's 100% cheating
Shaftoe
+4|6742

Flonster wrote:

Shaftoe wrote:

386 doesn't meet BF2 min requirements.  Those are there to put everyone in the same ballpark of playability.

It's cheating.
I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6138|Scotland!

Shaftoe wrote:

Flonster wrote:

Shaftoe wrote:

386 doesn't meet BF2 min requirements.  Those are there to put everyone in the same ballpark of playability.

It's cheating.
Well, all I know is that on default settings I can't hit people while they move, at all. Only after trying hundreds of settings combinations did I find one that allows me to hit people while they move parallel to me, but still 1/4 of my bullets dust close range, and headshots never work.  I guess it's the curse that comes with having a UK ISP, cause I don't know a single UK player who does well on default settings.

Maybe you consider it cheating, but I'm not going to handicap myself to please you, because your ISP probably gave you some nice sexy hitreg on default, and that's lucky for you. Move to the UK and see how well you play.
Wallpaper
+303|5999|The pool

Shaftoe wrote:

Not a core game file..?

Last edited by Wallpaper (2008-05-01 17:03:19)

steelie34
pub hero!
it seems like the server really determines how well my shots register.  if i get a low ping, all is well, but when i go overseas i definitely get a lot of dusties.
Blueteam21
+5|5869

BeerzGod wrote:

Shaftoe wrote:

+1 for you
Blueteam21
+5|5869
Dumb question but what program should i use to open the con file?
jsnipy
+3,276|6528|...

Blueteam21 wrote:

Notepad.exe will work
Blueteam21
+5|5869

jsnipy wrote:

Blueteam21 wrote:

Notepad.exe will work
Thanks  +1 for your help
Blueteam21
+5|5869

Guy.Buddy.Friend wrote:

IAfter this I noticed a major difference in my hit registration. Although these settings may work for me, they may not work for you. If they don't please PM me and I'll send you a different set of lines to try.
I can't stress this enough though, it is extremely important thing that you  set your latency (ping) in the server that your on.
You do this by pressing the tilde (~) in-game on a multi player server. I suggest writing this down. You type the following code into the console screen that pops up after hitting tilde in-game.

Code:

SettingsManager.floatSet GSDefaultLatencyCompensation 0.050
do you have to do this every time you connect to a server?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard