Maj.Do
+85|6759|good old CA
Hey guys im having some difficulties with my cdrom.  Recently it decided to just not open anymore. : \ Some people have been telling me that its dead but i can still strangely read the files on the disk.  Do you guys have any ideas on how to open it without resorting to the small pin button? Thanks!
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6613|Greenwood, IN
Nope there is no other way.  That's why they put that pin hole there.  Exactly for this reason.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6400|Southern California
Why do you want to avoid the pin hole? it works and is easy...shove something in there...

Ive had drives that "jam" as they start to open...You see the tray start to move but then it just sticks. It turned out it was from having screws that were too long...
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6501|N. Ireland
Open up your computer when it is off completely. Make sure all the cables connected to the optical drive are fully connected. Take them out, blow on them to get rid of any excess dust and pop them back in.

Last edited by kylef (2008-04-26 02:18:34)

De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6535|Belgium

just take a paperclip and stick it in the little pinhole next to the button, works like a charm...

Else, right click on the cdrom in my computer and choose eject, if that's still possible.
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6692|West Yorkshire, U.K
Just tell me, why do you not want to push the pinhole button?
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6598|Reisterstown, MD

kylef wrote:

Open up your computer when it is off completely.
I can't stress this statement enough.  For the love of goodness, never open your cdrom via the pin hole while the computer is still on.  I've seen several times where people have done this and the cdrom opens with the disk still spinning and it come flying out.  It's like have a razor blade thrown at you. 
Nessie09
I "fix" things
+107|6678|The Netherlands

killer21 wrote:

kylef wrote:

I can't stress this statement enough.  For the love of goodness, never open your cdrom via the pin hole while the computer is still on.  I've seen several times where people have done this and the cdrom opens with the disk still spinning and it come flying out.  It's like have a razor blade thrown at you. 
If that wasn't so dangerous, I'd do it.
Brasso
+1,549|6638

killer21 wrote:

kylef wrote:

holy crap, that's pretty scary.

never thought of that before actually.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
prototype
+52|6319
use the pin hole mang

DO IT !! 

DO IT NOW !!!!
Shadow893
lel
+75|6700|England

haffeysucks wrote:

killer21 wrote:

kylef wrote:

holy crap, that's pretty scary.

never thought of that before actually.
and i thought he forgot the /sarcasm
CrazeD
+368|6680|Maine

killer21 wrote:

kylef wrote:

My Vista DVD wouldn't come out one time while I was trying to boot to another disc so I did that, didn't figure it'd be spinning on the BIOS screen.

It was.
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6121|SC | USA |
Either a restart, or the pin hole maneuver usually works.
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6692|West Yorkshire, U.K
Should I suggest pinhole?
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6604|Michigan, USA
If you wish to have a backup way of opening via power(ie it slides out onits own, not via pinhole or pulling) you can reroute the power for the tray motor to the outside connect to a 9v battery or the like tray should pop right out.  However dont expect it to respond to program commands to eject the disc(after burning a cd for example).

Very simple to do if you know what to look for, and provided your tray motor isn't broken(i.e the thing causing your tray not to open)

You can really have fun when you start cranking the volts up   3 12v power supplys daisychained pumping out 36v, tray will shoot out of the drive like a rocket   I miss that class so much.

Last edited by r2zoo (2008-04-29 14:58:04)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard