Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6677|67.222.138.85
How do most fan controllers work as far as connecting the fans to them?

I bought a 5.25" panel that expects you to get the three pin fan wires all the way to the very back of the controller, meaning my back fan has to go a distance of two feet across the entirety of my case. Right.

So are they all like this, or if I get something else will there be some other method of connecting fans?
Brasso
+1,549|6600

thats how they work
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6100|North Tonawanda, NY
I think mine came with extension cables for powering fans.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6677|67.222.138.85

haffeysucks wrote:

thats how they work
I find that hard to believe. There is no way you can get fan cables across most decently large cases, and there is no way across this case without making my own extensions.
jamiet757
+138|6592

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

thats how they work
I find that hard to believe. There is no way you can get fan cables across most decently large cases, and there is no way across this case without making my own extensions.
extension cables, or cut the wires and splice in your own to make the cables longer.
Volatile
+252|6675|Sextupling in Empire

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6812189006

If you don't want to make your own, just add a couple of these to your basket the next time you pick up something from the egg.
Brasso
+1,549|6600

jamiet757 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

thats how they work
extension cables, or cut the wires and splice in your own to make the cables longer.
i meant that the fan cables had to come from the fans to the fan controller.

not that they reach the controller on their own most of the time.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6538|NYC / Hamburg

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

thats how they work
what do you expect? wireless energy?

You'll have to buy or make your own extensions
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6590|Mhz

My Scythe Kama fan controller had very long extention cables with it, I'd expect it with any other brand TBH.
jamiet757
+138|6592

haffeysucks wrote:

jamiet757 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Where else would they go? Magically connect to your ass?
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6167|Winland

Sorry to say, but not realizing that you might need extension cables makes you look kinda stupid, FM...
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Brasso
+1,549|6600

jamiet757 wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

jamiet757 wrote:

Where else would they go? Magically connect to your ass?
hey, i'm not the one with the fucking question.

i fully realize that the fan controllers need to be in phuysical contact via cable with the fans.  that's common sense.

thanks for the clever insult.

Last edited by haffeysucks (2008-04-25 08:50:46)

.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6424|The Twilight Zone

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

How do most fan controllers work as far as connecting the fans to them?

I bought a 5.25" panel that expects you to get the three pin fan wires all the way to the very back of the controller, meaning my back fan has to go a distance of two feet across the entirety of my case. Right.

So are they all like this, or if I get something else will there be some other method of connecting fans?
Which fan controller? Link plz.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6497|Portland, OR USA
TBH, all fan controllers I have ever seen are like this with the exception of those integrated into the mobo.  If you think about it, it kinda makes sense as that's really the only way to regulate them is with some manner of hard wired control (the yellow wire is the rpm sensor).

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard