Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6707|67.222.138.85
Clothing has three purposes.

1 - To protect one from the elements

2 - To cover one's self

3 - Fashion, self-image

Apparently, however, we're trying to add one more reason to the list.

4 - Advertising for companies that you don't like and certainly don't give a rat's ass about you.

The second part is more important.

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g44/Flaming_Maniac/vae.jpg

Good god why. What has gotten into people's heads that they proudly strut company logos across their bodies, I have no idea. Your favorite sports team, company you work for, or professional designer label? Somewhat shallow in a variety of ways, but certainly acceptable because you at least are proud to stand behind that idea. But why on earth do people enjoy screaming company logos everywhere when they represent at best mediocre clothes at a wide range of prices, worn by no one successful?

Last time I checked I was paying the clothing company for a piece of cloth, not the right to advertise for their company to every single person I see.  They should be paying me for that.

Today at my school there was a promotional lady hocking "free" t-shirts for an upcoming movie release. All the kids cried "Really? They're really free, straight up?" and proceeded to go mental once they realized there was no monetary cost to get a $5 t-shirt. No kids, you don't have to pay a dime, because you just sold your soul to that movie for an old woman showing too much cleavage and a piece of fabric that you don't need. How can someone so easily walk into a school with $500 worth of t-shirts to get extremely effective, targeted advertising on 500 kids, duping every single one without them even realizing it?

Damn people, self-respect, get some.
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War
+303|6479|Communist Republic of CA, USA
Seems to me that it's hard to avoid some marketing. 

But I have no qualms against wearing my Major League Infidel shirt in public.
Copyright Crye Precision.

https://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2530/mewhitecastle1ja4.jpg
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5965|London, England

I wear my MLG Shirt all the time, but im not going to not wear a shirt just because it has a company logo on it. its a shirt and i look pretty in it.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina
Interesting points...  I just like my Panthers hat, but I need to get some Flying Spaghetti Monster wear.

May you be touched by his noodly appendage....
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5962|Washington DC
How'd they get duped? They're shirts dude. Free is free. Assuming they're not made of paper... I'd grab one even if it was just for ad purposes. I'm already advertising a fair amount of bands with my shirts
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6780|Great Brown North
the same reason my cousin will only wear a certain brand name, because it has "status"
Flaming_Maniac

HurricaИe wrote:

How'd they get duped? They're shirts dude. Free is free. Assuming they're not made of paper... I'd grab one even if it was just for ad purposes. I'm already advertising a fair amount of bands with my shirts
So, do you get sheared annually or biannually?

krazed wrote:

the same reason my cousin will only wear a certain brand name, because it has "status"
I don't understand how it American Eagle or Abercrombie and Fitch (god how do they even fit that on a shirt) even denotes any sort of status. I mean I understand expensive designer brands, they're stupid but I understand them. These stores aren't even quality, they're at best mid range clothes. There is only "status" because they shockingly got so many people to wear the little bastards with the brand plastered all over it it became a status symbol before there was even a status behind it.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6780|Great Brown North

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I don't understand how it American Eagle or Abercrombie and Fitch (god how do they even fit that on a shirt) even denotes any sort of status. I mean I understand expensive designer brands, they're stupid but I understand them. These stores aren't even quality, they're at best mid range clothes. There is only "status" because they shockingly got so many people to wear the little bastards with the brand plastered all over it it became a status symbol before there was even a status behind it.
fucked if i know, but people do it
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5962|Washington DC

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

So, do you get sheared annually or biannually?
Biannually

Seriously dude, why do you have such a thing against clothing with logos on them? If it makes you feel better, the only clothing I can think of that has the company on it is a Gap hoodie I have. Gap isn't exactly upscale or anything. The hoodie was comfortable, it was on a good price, so I got it.

What about shoes? That Nike Swoosh or the 3-stripes of Adidas certainly tell people what kind of shoes you wear.
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6597|Michigan, USA
In some case maybe people wear clothing with logos for the pride.  Ill gladly where my schools shirt or what not, because im proud of it, not to advertise, although it may be a side effect
Flaming_Maniac
There is nothing wrong with a logo if you are proud of what it stands for. If you are proud of what GAP stands for or what AE stands for, there is something wrong.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5962|Washington DC

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

There is nothing wrong with a logo if you are proud of what it stands for. If you are proud of what GAP stands for or what AE stands for, there is something wrong.
I'm not "proud" of what they "stand for." I just don't give a damn if it has a logo or not.
Flaming_Maniac

HurricaИe wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I'm not "proud" of what they "stand for." I just don't give a damn if it has a logo or not.
Because you don't respect yourself enough to care what message you are sending to the world.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5962|Washington DC

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Because you don't respect yourself enough to care what message you are sending to the world.
Yeah. Exactly. Spot on. You read me like a book.

Honestly, what message am I sending? If someone is shallow enough to assume I'm some 'corporate tool' just because my hoodie says "Gap" I probably don't want to associate with that person.
Flaming_Maniac

HurricaИe wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

Honestly, what message am I sending? If someone is shallow enough to assume I'm some 'corporate tool' just because my hoodie says "Gap" I probably don't want to associate with that person.
Not that you're a corporate tool, you're an ignorant person who doesn't understand he's being used.
thtthht
maximum bullshit
+50|6331|teh alien spaceshit

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Not that you're a corporate tool, you're an ignorant person who doesn't understand he's being used.
I agree with flaming.
My school had a no logo day.
Damn, you really don't know how much shit you are advertising until you look at it.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6569|Mountains of NC

I wear alot of Carhartt but thats bc I get them free

I do have alot of Marines tees, mostly units tees and some off the shelf Marine tees

Oh and camo
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6682|Disaster Free Zone

thtthht wrote:

Damn, you really don't know how much shit you are advertising until you look at it.
If you (or anyone else) didn't know before 'looking' at it, how is that 'advertising' anything?
Flaming_Maniac

DrunkFace wrote:

thtthht wrote:

If you (or anyone else) didn't know before 'looking' at it, how is that 'advertising' anything?
When Coka Cola pays to replace one frame every thirty at a movie that says "Drink Coke", is that advertising?
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6131|North Tonawanda, NY

SEREMAKER wrote:

I wear alot of Carhartt but thats bc I get them free
Carhartt makes good clothes.  Most of their stuff isn't plastered with their logo, either.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

When Coka Cola pays to replace one frame every thirty at a movie that says "Drink Coke", is that advertising?
Subliminal advertising ftw!

That's only a rumor, by the way.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6682|Disaster Free Zone

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

thtthht wrote:

obviously it is. But that does not mean its going to work. When coke cola pays for a billboard to be put into the Amazon where no one is going to notice it... is it advertising?

Last edited by DrunkFace (2008-04-24 21:18:32)

Flaming_Maniac

SenorToenails wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Subliminal advertising ftw!

That's only a rumor, by the way.
Oh I know, but it's the same idea. They're sneaking in to plant ideas without us even realizing it.

And honestly, I am suprised companies haven't already been selling these rights. I mean the marketability is astounding, it's effective, the audience is captive, and they don't even realize they're being influenced. Either there are more ethics in big business than I think, or the deal has already been signed.

edit: well after reading it it says it isn't effective, but then again people also claim not to be influenced by commercials, despite obvious trends in sales...

DrunkFace wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

obviously it is. But that does not mean its going to work. When coke cola pays for a billboard to be put into the Amazon where no one is going to notice it... is it advertising?
Bad analogy. People consciously don't notice logos and such on shirts, but that doesn't mean it isn't influencing them unconsciously. Never being exposed to something at all isn't the same as supposedly ignoring it.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Oh I know, but it's the same idea. They're sneaking in to plant ideas without us even realizing it.

And honestly, I am suprised companies haven't already been selling these rights. I mean the marketability is astounding, it's effective, the audience is captive, and they don't even realize they're being influenced. Either there are more ethics in big business than I think, or the deal has already been signed.
The FCC made it 'illegal' to do broadcast such advertising, and I'm betting no company wants to risk getting caught doing it in movies.

More companies could always do this.  She tattooed "Goldenpalace.com" on her forehead for $10,000.  How dumb is that?
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6569|Mountains of NC

SenorToenails wrote:

More companies could always do this.  She tattooed "Goldenpalace.com" on her forehead for $10,000.  How dumb is that?
awwwwwwww she did it for her son to education

how much education does she think he needs for him to realize he has an idiot for a mother
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard