ATG
Banned
+5,233|6548|Global Command

NooBesT wrote:

ATG wrote:

So humans observing matter change the way that matter acts.

That's all the proof I need:

God exists because enough people believe. Collected conscious thought creates a divine power and after life.
If human kind becomes extinct, does this god and after life vanish?
Depends on whether we effect matter like the experiment shows.

If thought can create, it would require thought to uncreate. No people, no thought.
Heaven stays open for businesss.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6544|South Florida

ATG wrote:

NooBesT wrote:

ATG wrote:

God exists because enough people believe. Collected conscious thought creates a divine power and after life.

If thought can create, it would require thought to uncreate. No people, no thought.
Your logic scares me.
15 more years! 15 more years!
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6488

ATG wrote:

NooBesT wrote:

ATG wrote:

But then again atheists don't belive in heaven. Wouldn't that close it down?
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6548|Global Command
When there are more non believers than believers, Heaven closes for business.
CanadianLoser
Meow :3 :3
+1,148|6527
we should all start believing something totally unbelievably amazing, then see what happens.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6646|UK
I remember watching that video in one of my physics classes. Wasn't as good as my 'nutty professor-ish' teacher's explanations.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6785|Cambridge (UK)

Mitch wrote:

One video is about entanglement, and one video is about the slit experiment. First, watch the slit experiment. I garentee you'll be saying 'Oh my god, what the fuck' at the end of this video...

Basic explaination of this vid, to grab your attention: 'An electron acts differently simply because its being watched by humans'

Mind blowing isn't it.

However, note that in the video they don't actually say that 'An electron acts differently simply because its being watched by humans', rather that 'An electron acts differently simply because its being watched by an observer' - that observer need not be human, it need not even be conscious - it may simply be a machine.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2008-04-21 16:39:18)

IonYou
+3|6653
The detector is slowing down the particle, thereby causing it to lose coherence with any other particles with which it would normally interact. This is why the wave function collapses, because it is no longer interfering with the particles from the 2nd slit, they are off in time.

Did they bother putting detectors on both slits and include the results from that experiment in this video or did they just want to keep you guessing so that you'll be inspired to try your hand at a career in science because this country is severely lacking in that dept. thanks to the morally bankrupt society that has no doubt stemmed from the lackluster public education system we have?

Holy goddamn run on sentence batman. And..bitter much? Yeah I saved you the trouble. Now you can go back to talking about the science you know oh so little about.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6726|67.222.138.85

IonYou wrote:

The detector is slowing down the particle, thereby causing it to lose coherence with any other particles with which it would normally interact. This is why the wave function collapses, because it is no longer interfering with the particles from the 2nd slit, they are off in time.

Did they bother putting detectors on both slits and include the results from that experiment in this video or did they just want to keep you guessing so that you'll be inspired to try your hand at a career in science because this country is severely lacking in that dept. thanks to the morally bankrupt society that has no doubt stemmed from the lackluster public education system we have?

Holy goddamn run on sentence batman. And..bitter much? Yeah I saved you the trouble. Now you can go back to talking about the science you know oh so little about.
Thanks for saving me a lot of typing.

When you observe a particle you must alter it in some fashion, that is one of the most basic principles of quantum mechanics. You cannot know both the position and speed of a particle at the same time. You can know some about both, but you can only absolutely know one. With that in mind, the first video is cool, but not mindblowing.

The second video is terrible. They didn't even talk about entanglement, they just started sounding like a cult.

The really cool part about entanglement is the experiment where two sister particles that have the same spin are brought a significant distance apart. Then, without any apparent links between the particles, the spin of one particle is artificially changed, and then the spin of the other changes to math. That is freaky.
Trigger_Happy_92
Uses the TV missle too much
+394|6668

IonYou wrote:

You have no idea what you are talking about. This test has been done numerous times, taking into account the "interference" you state. Cmon now, scientists are smarter than that.

Video on a different way to test the double slit experement (rules out detector interference)

The detector, unlike in the video, is placed AFTER the splitting occurs, so the particle had to have decided which path to take already. Rules out interference.

More advanced video that explains how scientists can detect the spin of the photons, proving which slit they went through, and by adding an erasing screen to match up the direction of the spin, preventing anybody from telling which way the photon was spinning, the interference pattern is brought back

Another video, which reinforces all the links ive sent above, and concretes the evidence as undeniable
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6726|67.222.138.85

Trigger_Happy_92 wrote:

IonYou wrote:

You have no idea what you are talking about. This test has been done numerous times, taking into account the "interference" you state. Cmon now, scientists are smarter than that.

Video on a different way to test the double slit experement (rules out detector interference)

The detector, unlike in the video, is placed AFTER the splitting occurs, so the particle had to have decided which path to take already. Rules out interference.

More advanced video that explains how scientists can detect the spin of the photons, proving which slit they went through, and by adding an erasing screen to match up the direction of the spin, preventing anybody from telling which way the photon was spinning, the interference pattern is brought back

Another video, which reinforces all the links ive sent above, and concretes the evidence as undeniable
Bravo for the first ever YTMND links used to reinforce a serious argument. Though I must admit, I was thrilled to have that bitchin' techno music while reading about quantum physics.

You cannot observe a particle without interfering with it, period.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5984|London, England

Very fun Mitch, i like
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
IonYou
+3|6653

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Trigger_Happy_92 wrote:

IonYou wrote:

Bravo for the first ever YTMND links used to reinforce a serious argument. Though I must admit, I was thrilled to have that bitchin' techno music while reading about quantum physics.

You cannot observe a particle without interfering with it, period.
it is you (and the guy that made those ytmnds) that has no idea what you are talking about. Other than that last sentence you wrote about not being able to observe without interfering with the outcome, none of the other statements are true.

The guy that made those YTMNDs will have you believe there is some sort of magic going on. He is the same type of folk that parroted that thunder and lightning is caused by god instead of trying to find the real reason behind it for centuries. Today it's obvious to us what the real cause is. Don't be so quick to claim god did it when there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for what's going on.

Now instead of "God did it" we've got pseudo scientists on YTMND telling us "the photons did it". Like photons are intelligent and can tell when you are (or will at some point) observe them so they collapse the wave function. How silly does that sound! Well that is exactly what he is saying in those videos!

The reality of the situation is that the detector changes how the photons interact. Yes it's really that simple. The detector decoheres the photons and they no longer form the interference pattern expected.
Ryan
+1,230|6862|Alberta, Canada

I've seen this on here before.
ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6659
That was awesome. I'm glad I picked physics over chemistry for next year. I think we need an "Official Physics Thread" or something. That would be cool.
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6804|Perth, Western Australia
Carter! In English please...
(HUN)Rudebwoy
+45|6774
another mind blowing vid for you science junkies

Description from youtube:
This is an excellent demo of super conductivity. The liquid is liquid nitrogen. The disk is a magnet. The black block is the super conducting (SC) material (but becomes SC only below its critical temperature, somewhat higher than liquid nitrogen).

When warm, the block has no particular magnetic / electric properties. When cooled, it becomes a SC. One of the properties of a SC is that magnetic fields can be pinned in place in the SC.

A moving magnetic field generates eddie currents within conductors, and can be felt as a resistance to relative motion. In most materials, this current quickly decays due to electrical resistance. In SC, eddie currents do not decay, but instead will tend to hold the magnetic field in place.

Last edited by (HUN)Rudebwoy (2008-04-22 06:37:42)

Mitch
16 more years
+877|6544|South Florida

(HUN)Rudebwoy wrote:

another mind blowing vid for you science junkies

Description from youtube:
This is an excellent demo of super conductivity. The liquid is liquid nitrogen. The disk is a magnet. The black block is the super conducting (SC) material (but becomes SC only below its critical temperature, somewhat higher than liquid nitrogen).

When warm, the block has no particular magnetic / electric properties. When cooled, it becomes a SC. One of the properties of a SC is that magnetic fields can be pinned in place in the SC.

A moving magnetic field generates eddie currents within conductors, and can be felt as a resistance to relative motion. In most materials, this current quickly decays due to electrical resistance. In SC, eddie currents do not decay, but instead will tend to hold the magnetic field in place.
Thats cool, but explainable. I love hearing the unexplainable stuff about how electrons are clouds of probability and such unbelievable science-fiction sounding stuff
15 more years! 15 more years!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard