mantisboy sniper
+1|6776
Ever realize that you're the last person on your team that's alive and kickin'?  I was playing on Mashtuur last night and came to the realization that all the radio chatter had slowed down for my team.  I quickly hit my map key and found that I was the only blue dot left on the map and that we only MEC flags were flying.  Where did my army go?

First, I know people want the last guy to go cap a flag but I must say that as a sniper it's almost pointless to try and take a base at this point.  Low armor and a single shot rifle aren't any match for Vodniks, tanks, GLs, auto-rifles, let alone 10-15 of them all at once.  So I decided to have some fun and try for the flag anyway.  I left my perch and found my way to the power plant.  Just as I got close to the flag I heard a Vodnik in a distance.  Quickly I climbed onto the power transformer box, went prone and waited.

https://img239.imageshack.us/img239/9133/mashtuurpowerplant4bz.jpg

The first Vodnik pulls up and the turret starts spinning.  He knows that I am somewhere in the shadows but not sure exactly where.  It's too late, he took a round from my L96A1 straight to the melon from 10M.  One Shot One Kill.  Then one after another, the Vodniks arrived, with their turrets panning.  Each gunner scanning for a lone sniper, somewhere up in the hills.  Is he on top of one of the buildings, over in a bush somewhere maybe?!?  No.  They looked everywhere but on top of the power box.  I took them out one at a time, each only victim only meters away from the wrong end of my rifle.  They were even trying to hide in the back of the transports and looking around but I still managed to get a good angle on them.  When I had finally died I had killed 9 guys from my new hiding spot before the UAV pinpointed my location.  I ended up with a 17-1 K/D for the round!  Not too bad.  (That was one lucky round – I was pretty tense by the end and my hands were a bit shaky)

Anyone else been 'An Army Of One'?  Has anyone successfully deflected an enemy onslaught until the ticket counter runs out?  I would be very interested to hear any stories.
fungus020
+0|6814|London - England
usually when im the last man alive i become a squad leader and have people spawn on me
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6802

fungus020 wrote:

usually when im the last man alive i become a squad leader and have people spawn on me
I thought that only works if you have a flag left?
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6811|AUS, Canberra
ill often be in the zone sniping and then look up and there is a heaps "go get a flag you tosser" messages typed by my dead team, i always do my best to get one but it never once has paid off.

fungus020 wrote:

even if you are a sqaud leader your team cant spawn on yo if you have no flags.
[1MI]CriticalFailure
+0|6822|Wisco

usmarine2005 wrote:

fungus020 wrote:

I thought that only works if you have a flag left?
Quite right.  You cannot spawn, even on a squad leader, if your team has no flags left.  Some people can't understand this.  They continually spam at the last guy left to make a squad
bob_baur
+5|6812|UK
Yeah had a game like that couple of nights ago on Kubra Dam.

Everything was quite even ticket drain was slow so all making nice points then for what ever reason the Americans had started to turn the map around to the point where we (MEC's) where left with only one flag left on the dam at the power station. We then proceeded to defend the flag for a few minutes with not much success (couple helicopter kills with the tank) as the Americans where bleeding the tickets fast so when I died I changed to a sniper for its ability to run quickly and camo and made a run for the lower dam flag, I had got there in say 15 seconds, doing a base jump from the top of the dam and running, by which time the American onslaught had proven to be too strong at the power station for the MEC army and they capped the flag.

I was situated under the dam with claymores either side of me waiting for the yanks to finish the job off (quite nervous, getting quite twitchy) when the flag changed neutral then went MEC, I thought great here we come the MEC come back and loads of blue dots started to fill my HUD map, the silence had been filled with chatter.

With this I then decide to run off and cap another flag the one nearest the American base (Bridge Base) as it was the easiest to keep hidden.

I had reached the refuel station flag at the top of hill dodging a few stray bullets from an American on the way and grabbed one of those dune buggies (fantastic cars by the way). With the dune buggy I had made in no time to the flag (in hindsight I wish I stayed at the refuel station with its capable building). But as soon as I jumped out of the buggy I noticed the enemy had put UAV on me, which seemed a bit odd just being a single person (felt honoured) flicked the map on only to find that the rest of my team had already gone and lost the other flag. As soon as I took the map off and proceeded to go down the ladder, I saw two attack helicopters coming in hot firing missiles and guns. Did I survive did I heck not a chance with those quick machines.

Felt cool to be of help for my side keeping the game going and giving us a fighting chance but to have an army that can not then get on with job and cap a few more flags pissed me off. Seemed a wasted effort for a couple of points, but at the same time quite rewarding!
Dr.Battlefield
Got milk?
+150|6793
When I'm the last man alive, I just go and die fast. Even if I cap the flag, my team will be raped, because of arty and stuff. So it is better to start a new round.
FirePhoenix
+18|6680|hamilton, scotland
i so didnt know this, i remember repeatidly screaming across to this guy to make a squad etc, im so sorry whoever i did it too , woops
-EcS-Blade
Mr.Speakman
+153|6681|Manchester UK

fungus020 wrote:

you need a flag to do tht
$kelet0r
+16|6723
happened to me on wake once - fact was I was so pissed that my team had thrown away my hard work that i said to hell with it and i'm not suiciding for them so I walked around the edge of the island where the US infantry and armour couldnt get me
+0|6789
A while ago , i dont remeber when, i was in a wake server and ended up being alone 3 times.  I was in a mig all 3 times so i just bailed out over the least populated outpost and capped it.  I hate the people that just sit there and pretend they can take on the enemy by themselves and not even go for a flag. so lame. 9 out of 10 times they get nailed by artillery because they think uav's cant see them.
FSFGrimes
+1|6782
I had an experiance like that. Wasn't really the last person alive but I was lonewolfing and no friendlys were nearby.

Karkand pre 1.2 patch. I was on the MEC Most the round I was getting irritated by people and their grenade launchers. I had spent most my time as a special forces guy, but that wasn't panning out so I switched to assault. The suburb was just taken so I was heading that way from the south. I see a squad full of baddies in the area. It was the same group that has been killing me from the get-go. They were heading out on foot toward the train wreck down the road. My commander thoughtfully placed a UAV over the area. I was gaining on them. I noticed two dots stop and start heading toward me, but it was too late. Armed with my trusty AK-101 I turned the corner and the two were running my way. I jumped and fired a nade at their feet to put them at the recieving end of my retribution. They both die. The others become aware of my precesnce. The first one I see I fire a short burst and take em down. The medics frantically running toward his fallen comrades a squeeze of the trigger takes him down. I pop two more guys who were a little farther away. I begin to reload my Ak, but an engineer comes out of nowhere, I pull out my pistol and eventually kill him. I was heavily wounded. So I grabbed the medics kit and self-mediacated then switched back to my AK.

After this I went and hid behind the Suburb as I reloaded my weapons and recollected myself. The went after me one at a time it seemed like. In the end I had exausted my AK and the Gl completely of rounds and I was rather low on pistol rounds. I eventually died, but not before I went on a 11 + kill streak by myself on Karkand.
DeadboyUSMC
+65|6740|NCFSU2
I feel like the only player doing anything at any given time. Unless of course I'm playing with my friend LongShot99, then it's two people doing everything...
M1-Lightning
Jeepers Creepers
+136|6772|Peoria, Illinois
Playing anti-tank, I took on five infantry, one vodnik, and two tanks (they stole ours) on the Cement Factory at Karkand while the rest of my team and commander was only interested in the Hotel. I couldn't get anyone to join my squad, couldn't get UAV, couldn't get a box to resupply my ammo, and once I had the flag, I couldn't get a single teammate to spawn on the new flag and help me defend it. 3 bars of health and no AT rockets left...yeah I died pretty fast trying to defend that flag. But I used every resouce availablle, the TOW, MG and the empty vodnik.

Now you know why clanmates tend to stick together on pub servers. It's not to stack sides and rape the other players but rather to play with some really nice teamwork that you don't get from the average, self-interested pub players. When I'm playing with my clanmates wheter it's 6-8 of them or just 2-3 of them on a ranked server, my team never loses all of its flags like in the stories above.
bob_baur
+5|6812|UK

M1-Lightning wrote:

Playing anti-tank, I took on five infantry, one vodnik, and two tanks (they stole ours) on the Cement Factory at Karkand while the rest of my team and commander was only interested in the Hotel. I couldn't get anyone to join my squad, couldn't get UAV, couldn't get a box to resupply my ammo, and once I had the flag, I couldn't get a single teammate to spawn on the new flag and help me defend it. 3 bars of health and no AT rockets left...yeah I died pretty fast trying to defend that flag. But I used every resouce availablle, the TOW, MG and the empty vodnik.

Now you know why clanmates tend to stick together on pub servers. It's not to stack sides and rape the other players but rather to play with some really nice teamwork that you don't get from the average, self-interested pub players. When I'm playing with my clanmates wheter it's 6-8 of them or just 2-3 of them on a ranked server, my team never loses all of its flags like in the stories above.
Spot on! its a team work game and the only way it seems to achieve this at times is to form a clan. Must be sweet playing in a clan. I have had teams at some games, but usually its only one maybe two people.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6708

M1-Lightning wrote:

Yeah.  Karkand 64, as USMC, capturing main MEC base.  Captured flag.  Only one teammate spawns on me.  Entire enemy armor convoy comes back and reclaims the base.  Capturing and holding that base 99% guarantees a USMC victory, but everyone was too busy at he hotel.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6708

My last man standing, no flag experience:  Mashtuur MEC main base.  Moved the two transports next to the flag. Crawled under one, hoping that artillery would not get me.  Captured the flag.  Team rallied and we won the round.
fungus020
+0|6814|London - England
yeh i just realised i was wrong. it happened today and it turns out you have to have a flag. hmm i never knew that til now..
M1-Lightning
Jeepers Creepers

bob_baur wrote:

Spot on! its a team work game and the only way it seems to achieve this at times is to form a clan. Must be sweet playing in a clan. I have had teams at some games, but usually its only one maybe two people.
You don't even have to be in a clan. Just find some players that you enjoy playing with and stick with them. Get in on the Xfire ring. Anyone here is always welcome to join whatever team and squad I'm in. I don't like playing the Army of One routine.

Last edited by M1-Lightning (2006-02-22 13:06:31)

bob_baur
+5|6812|UK

M1-Lightning wrote:

bob_baur wrote:

You don't even have to be in a clan. Just find some players that you enjoy playing with and stick with them. Get in on the Xfire ring. Anyone here is always welcome to join whatever team and squad I'm in. I don't like playing the Army of One routine.
Know what you mean I know a couple of people locally but there just looking for points and not a good game. So far only found one guy/girl online who was up for playing teams and was quite firendly. Seemed to gel and played the maps well together. But it is so hard to find people make up your squad and then retain there names to track them down again. Will have to look at this x-fire thing, heard a lot about it!
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6815|Noizyland

I've been in a similar spot to mantisboy, except I was sporting the M95, (before I realised what a crap gun it was.) it was also on Mashtuur actually, except I was on that tall building near the low bridge accross from the Mosque. I was the second to last guy on our team but unlike mansticboy I decided to stay where I was. Thing was, as anyone will tell you, that tall building is a really obvious Sniper spot. Soon every enemy was on me. I placed some Claymores, one on the first ladder, one on the seconds, and got ready to defend myself.

It was mostly from foot soldiers running towards me, and anyone will tell you that those are really easy shots. There were a couple of Vodniks, one Hummvee and a Tank marking my position, but the only useful tools were the top guns, where the enemies soon became easy targets.
People were shooting at me from the ground, but without any effect. There were no Snipers on the other team, but it seemed an easy road to take. If someone spawned as a Sniper would have been screwed as my attention was so focused in other directions. The two Claymores quickly took out two targets, but people had still made it round to my backside. I caught them climbing the ladders and shot them down with my pistol. I now ignored the square and focused my attention at keeping people from climbing up to me, as I was no longer attributed with Claymores. I used up my pistol ammo fairly fast, so amused myself dropping grenades and firing what remaining .50 cal ammo I had. I'm sad to say that I didn't completely run out of ammunition before I was taken out. Some clever bastard had climbed a building accross from me, and thus given himself a beter target of me, so I was taken out by a few pot-shots from a F2000.

I managed to kill 18 people - I honestly thought it was more than that, but it took the top spot as my best kill streak, (until replaced by a commander kill streak.)
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
pohoudini
+1|6685

the_heart_attack wrote:

ill often be in the zone sniping and then look up and there is a heaps "go get a flag you tosser" messages typed by my dead team, i always do my best to get one but it never once has paid off.
Im almost always a sniper and make it a point to always be aware, i bet i watch my HUD as often as anything else on the screen, alotta times if you see a control point under atttack its easy sniper kills because you knwo they will all be within distance of the flag usually hiding( or think they are) andyou get aloot of flag defense points etc. I get in the zone but im never unaware of the battle.
CTD-CaptainBuck
BLEEDING BLUE
+71|6808|Tenn
i remember a Mashtuur i was playing a while back...im just noobed out on top of the roof with the M95(of all guns,pre 1.2 i might add). picking ppl off left and right...i wasnt paying much attention to flags and tickets at the time due to the fact i was 26-0. by the time i realized we had lost all but one of the flags i decided to make a run to the power plant. laid my clays at the ent. to the fence and tried capping the flag. 1 claymore blows(killing a mec)...flag goes neutral and im frantically watching the unprotected entrance... flag almost goes up and a mec comes in and i luckily pistol'ed his brains on the fence...alright 28-0 and a flag capture...then of course u all kno what happens when a loner takes a flag....here comes the arty with 1 ticket left. 1 manages to hit before the round was over but it didnt kill me...muhahaha flawless victo...loss i mean
M1-Lightning
Jeepers Creepers
I play on a server called the Meatgrinder. It's the only server I play on 98% of the time since November because the admins are great and the punish feature is disabled so the admins always watch for TKs. It's run by Zero Point Games which is not a clan but just a group of friends from BF'42 that started a server a while back. Start playing with these guys and I guarantee you will have a good time and see real teamwork. No one should ever have to be the last guy trying to get a flag for his team. The teams are balanced well and it's always a good fight for either side. I'll never get the war college ribbon because it seems to go back and forth with the wins and losses there. You can get their server info on their site forum: http://www.zeropointgames.com/forum/index.php
KineticDeath
+2|6713
I have been in this situation dozens of times and nearly everytime I can cap a flag. How you might ask? Well you have to have a plan of attack. First, know two flags that you can quickly hit on foot or in a vehicle that are generally as far away from each other as possible. Make sure that the second flag - the one you will actually cap - is covered or nearly artillery-proof. Then when you become that "army of one" - neutralize your first flag, and as soon as you do - MOVE - as quickly as possible to your second flag. The opposing force will typically flood to the neutralized flag while you have time to take out the other flag. The success of this does depend alot on the competency of their commander - but even with some of the best commanders you can still have success. Try it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard