Announcement/beta/release of BF339%39% - 34
Total: 87
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6450|Somewhere else

In your opinion..when?

I made one poll- http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=98940

that asked if you still play BF2. 

So I started wondering, when do you guys think the Stats will be over.

Since online play will never die for years, making a poll about that is kinda pointless.

And even though alot of people don't give a shit about stats, alot of people still do.

So, I am curious.

I am aware that the last option isn't really a time frame, but that, other than a certain decided date, seems to be a logical answer to my question.

EDIT:btw. late 2008 for me

Last edited by RoosterCantrell (2008-04-14 21:06:58)

VicktorVauhn
+319|6362|Southern California
With Battle Field 3...
That way they can be like "with this new release we are moving forward, this unfortunately means we will no longer be able to offer..."
eaglecorps
shotguns
+23|6214|TEXAS

VicktorVauhn wrote:

With Battle Field 3...
That way they can be like "with this new release we are moving forward, this unfortunately means we will no longer be able to offer..."
Phrozenbot
+632|6585|do not disturb

I believe they will discontinue support shortly after BF3 is released.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone
Fuck me, not another one of these threads.

When the costs exceed the (potential) income. When EA stop making a profit.
**LiLp-DeFiNeD
Banned
+54|6125|Vancouver, BC, Canada
Personally, I don't think BF3'll play a direct role in the time it dies,
ie, I think that stat's'll be shutdown about 6ish months after it launches.

My guess is sometime in last half of '09
thepilot91
+64|6206|Ă…land!
why would they be so curious taking stats system away?...okey there's lot of hackers...but still...i dnt think anyone who plays bf2 wants it to go away and what do EA gain taking it away?...
Nikola Bathory
Karkand T-90 0wnage
+163|6756|Bulgaria

Phrozenbot wrote:

I believe they will discontinue support shortly after BF3 is released.
That's what I think too.
apdshep
+0|6388
theyve not long released the collection advertising the stats if they pulled them soon wouldnt that be wrong?
Markooo*Est
Previously known as CC-Marley
+334|6118|Estonia
People still play 1942 and Vietnam. Why shouldnt bf remain about 3 years more. As long as stats are the people are playing.
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6318|Belfast
null vote

when it dies
that could be well after BF3 comes out

look at BF1942

Last edited by henno13 (2008-04-15 12:51:47)

**LiLp-DeFiNeD
Banned
+54|6125|Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yeah, but don't BF1942 and BFVietnam not have stats systems in the first place? The servers are run by 3rd parties that still see something in the game, Our stats are run by the EA servers that are prolly gonna get repurposed wayyy before the active server count goes down to 10.

So As far as this question goes, Yes, the stats are going down...Sorta soon, not too soon, but not in like 20 years.
As far as people still playing, I'm positive that there'll still be servers and some people playing 5 years from now, BUT, there are gonna be no stats, and those people are just gonna be playing for the fun.

SO again, STATS are NOT the GAME, they're going down soonish, but the game will live long after that.
0akleaves
+183|6583|Newcastle UK

**LiLp-DeFiNeD wrote:

Yeah, but don't BF1942 and BFVietnam not have stats systems in the first place? The servers are run by 3rd parties that still see something in the game, Our stats are run by the EA servers that are prolly gonna get repurposed wayyy before the active server count goes down to 10.

So As far as this question goes, Yes, the stats are going down...Sorta soon, not too soon, but not in like 20 years.
As far as people still playing, I'm positive that there'll still be servers and some people playing 5 years from now, BUT, there are gonna be no stats, and those people are just gonna be playing for the fun.

SO again, STATS are NOT the GAME, they're going down soonish, but the game will live long after that.
You do realise EA stopped paying for the right to just have EA servers ages and ages ago ie around 1.2 i think. I.E. when UK servers were just Multiplay etc and had to have EA in them.
You have to learn the rules of the game and then you have to play better than anyone else.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria

DrunkFace wrote:

Fuck me, not another one of these threads.

When the costs exceed the (potential) income. When EA stop making a profit.
You speak the truth.
Who on earth would continue their server subscription when there are no more stats?

Stats are basically the only reason people pay extra money for a server.
With a flat-rate broadband connection and a cheap second computer everyone can run a dedicated server from his own home.

I'd say that not long after the cumulative costs (stats server hardware and connection, human resources,...) are exceeding the net income from the ranked server program and the EA bosses see a continuing trend in that direction they'll shut it down.
aj0404
It'll just be our little secret
+298|6320|Iowa...
whenever BF3 comes out.this will force the stat whores to move on and buy a new game for their precious stats.
spuddy1981
+10|6332|england
I would even rather they brought in a small charge to keep stats going than scraped them. (v.small)
Rofl_My_Waffle
+11|6661
They threatened to take down stats when BF2142 came out until they noticed BF2 was still more popular. So if there is a sustainable amount of servers hosted then they would keep stats.

EA charges a fee to have a server ranked BTW, for those people who only play the game.

Last edited by Rofl_My_Waffle (2008-04-16 20:45:01)

Slickfish
+24|6593
I have no idea, I've lost interest in stats now TBH, it was nice to play and see things changing showing your progress but over the last month or so many people I know have been hacked and re-set.

Stats mean nothing to me now, where's the point in pushing on for the next rank when some ass hats just going to hack you.
Drunk_Musketeer
To be honest I don't care anyway..
+57|6708|Great Wall
I think EA should stop reseting hacked stats and just let them be. We will have only 4-star generals and everyone will be happy.
_Dominiko_PL
TITS or gtfo.
+97|6491|Polish state of EU
Cant waint for battlefield 3 release omg ! ! !
0akleaves
+183|6583|Newcastle UK

_Dominiko_PL wrote:

Your going to be waiting a long time....
You have to learn the rules of the game and then you have to play better than anyone else.
Psycho
Member since 2005
+44|6746|Kansas, USA

thepilot91 wrote:

why would they be so curious taking stats system away?...okey there's lot of hackers...but still...i dnt think anyone who plays bf2 wants it to go away and what do EA gain taking it away?...
What do they gain?

It's not free for them to maintain the stat servers and they don't have much in the ay of new BF2 sales to offset those operating costs.
jason85
Banned
+58|5967|Mesa, AZ

Psycho wrote:

thepilot91 wrote:

What do they gain?

It's not free for them to maintain the stat servers and they don't have much in the ay of new BF2 sales to offset those operating costs.
That's true, but there are still an ass load of ranked servers, and all of those are being rented. So they still get their share of money.
Collateralis
Beep bep.
+85|6340|Stealth on Grand Bazaar
When EA get bored and don't give a shit....o damn, they've been doing that for 3 years already....

Fucking embarrasment, should have been done after the first lot of resets, then there is no point hackers playing. They can't screw much up without stats, PB/admin kick/ban does the rest. Problem solved.
HSG
+23|6444|British Columbia, Canada

_Dominiko_PL wrote:

cus stats are life

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard