blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6635
A stabbing attack last week on four guards at one overcrowded state prison and a racially sparked brawl at another mark the type of violence that guards, inmates' attorneys and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger have been worried about for years.

The violence comes at a critical juncture for the nation's largest state-prison system.

Later this year, a panel of federal judges will consider whether the crowding has become so severe that the state must cap the inmate population or release some prisoners early.

Lawmakers are considering a Schwarzenegger proposal to save money for the deficit-ridden state by releasing more than 20,000 inmates."For the last two years, we've said something worse than this was inevitable," said Chuck Alexander, executive vice president of the California Correctional Peace Officers Association, referring to last week's prison unrest. "It's just a matter of where and when it's going to hit. In our view, it's a precursor of what's to come."On Thursday, two inmates armed with homemade knives attacked guards at the California Correctional Institution about 40 miles southeast of Bakersfield. One of the guards was hospitalized with a skull fracture and stab wounds.A second attack erupted Friday. A dozen inmates were injured during a brawl in a crowded dormitory at the California Institution for Men in Chino, about 40 miles east of Los Angeles. A statewide lockdown was lifted Friday afternoon.

Schwarzenegger opposes a federally mandated population cap. But the Republican governor is proposing to release of some 22,000 inmates and eliminate about 4,500 prison-guard positions to help save $400 million from the budget of the state corrections department.California's 33 prisons have a capacity of roughly 100,000 inmates but hold about 170,000.

sourcy
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6519|Global Command
?

How many empty beds would be available if they executed all the illegals serving time for capital crimes and deported the rest?

About 75%

But, we can't have controversy here, move along.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5951|Washington DC
Put the death row folks on the express lane?
logitech487
+16|6393|From The State Of Taxes
ATG  You forgot about their families deport them also, California would save millions on all the free services their giving to those parasites
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6519|Global Command

logitech487 wrote:

ATG  You forgot about their families deport them also, California would save millions on all the free services their giving to those parasites
Preaching to the choir, my friend.
CloakedStarship
+76|6555
Ok, let 20,000 prisoners go, especially the ones that have been stabbing the guards causing all of this concern in the first place.  Over crowding at prisons, its not supposed to be a Hilton, let them rot.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6697|67.222.138.85

CloakedStarship wrote:

Ok, let 20,000 prisoners go, especially the ones that have been stabbing the guards causing all of this concern in the first place.  Over crowding at prisons, its not supposed to be a Hilton, let them rot.
Overcrowding is cruel and unusual. Lethal injection however, isn't.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6635

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

CloakedStarship wrote:

So should we let the 20,000 prisoners go since its so expensive to execute them. Its costs more to execute because you have to go through a huge procedure as far I know, all the paper work and everything.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6314|New Haven, CT
Dropping them into Iran naked would solve a lot of problems.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6437|Chicago, IL

blademaster wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

CloakedStarship wrote:

So should we let the 20,000 prisoners go since its so expensive to execute them. Its costs more to execute because you have to go through a huge procedure as far I know, all the paper work and everything.
good old American bureaucracy...

It costs the Chinese government $400 to execute someone, it costs us $4000000, and KClO4 isn't all that expensive, so god only knows where the rest of that money goes.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6726|Salt Lake City

I suspect many of those released will be those in prison for minor drug offenses.  However, I agree that if we deported those illegals that are in our prison system, you would free up a whole bunch of beds.
PureFodder
+225|6276

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

I suspect many of those released will be those in prison for minor drug offenses.  However, I agree that if we deported those illegals that are in our prison system, you would free up a whole bunch of beds.
Reducing or removing the excessive sentencing for non-violent drug offences would go a whole long way to solving the problem.

I remember seeing a discussion over which will cripple the US faster, the prisons or the healthcare system.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6726|Salt Lake City

PureFodder wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Reducing or removing the excessive sentencing for non-violent drug offences would go a whole long way to solving the problem.

I remember seeing a discussion over which will cripple the US faster, the prisons or the healthcare system.
Decriminalizing low end drug offenses, such as small quantities of marijuana, would likely go a long ways in reducing the amount of inmates in our system.
jord
+2,382|6668|The North, beyond the wall.
Need to make a new Australia tbh.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6611|London, England

jord wrote:

There's still plenty of space left in Australia
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6539|San Diego, CA, USA

HurricaИe wrote:

Put the death row folks on the express lane?
That's Texas.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6395|North Carolina

nukchebi0 wrote:

Dropping them into Iran naked would solve a lot of problems.
Agreed...
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6635

jord wrote:

Are Aussies willing to give us half of their to store ALL of our criminals there.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6470|Somewhere else

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

CloakedStarship wrote:

desperate times call for desperate measures.  I think that "cruel and unusual" is in the constitution, yes?  which protects the CITIZENS of this country...

but..giggle, what if they aren't citizens of this country?

I say A nice little GITMO type camp for the illegals.  Fuck,   If mexico wanted to save face, isn't thier some way, through some type of leasing, we can skirt certain laws by opening a "base" in mexico for the illegals, similiar to what they did to make GITMO operational and barely, but still legal?

OPTION 2: just fucking LEGALIZE marijuana for gods sake.  Tax it, stop worrying about it, reap the tax benefits.  End of story.

Last edited by RoosterCantrell (2008-04-09 12:32:15)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6752

just let them have a huge fight to the death.   have it on pay per view also so the victims could get some money.

As for the potheads, deport them to jamaica and mexico.

Last edited by usmarine (2008-04-09 12:33:44)

Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6742|Toronto, ON
Prisons overcrowded?  That's what West Africa is for, ship these losers-of-life over there and hopefully some National Geographic documentary will pop up showing them getting eaten by a tiger.
Alpha as fuck.
<BoTM>J_Aero
Qualified Expert
+62|6455|Melbourne - Home of Football

jord wrote:

You really want another country that kicks your ass at every sport under the southern sun?
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6219|NSW, Australia

blademaster wrote:

jord wrote:

Are Aussies willing to give us half of their to store ALL of our criminals there.
dont even need to build prisons just dump em in the outback and the abbos can eat them (or sniff them to get high).... just like petrol

(i think they litterally banned abbos from buying petrol/ spraypaints / other things like that if they didnt have a licence or something)

Last edited by Nappy (2008-04-13 05:04:59)

Hunter/Jumper
+117|6345
Liberals in charge with the usual results. Case 9575454556433. E

Last edited by Hunter/Jumper (2008-04-13 05:18:26)

mikkel
+383|6591
https://www.laurelcanyonthebook.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/map.australia.jpg

or

https://www.spacejunk.org/spacejunk/wp-content/images/movies/escapefromlaposter.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard