blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6616
The Pentagon will issue hand-held lie detectors this month to U.S. Army soldiers in Afghanistan, pushing to the battlefront a century-old debate over the accuracy of the polygraph.

The Defense Department says the portable device isn't perfect, but is accurate enough to save American lives by screening local police officers, interpreters and allied forces for access to U.S. military bases, and by helping narrow the list of suspects after a roadside bombing. The device has already been tried in Iraq and is expected to be deployed there as well. “We're not promising perfection — we've been very careful in that,” said Donald Krapohl, special assistant to the director at the Defense Academy for Credibility Assessment, the midwife for the new device. “What we are promising is that, if it's properly used, it will improve over what they are currently doing.”

An interpreter will ask a series of 20 or so questions in Persian, Arabic or Pashto: "Do you intend to answer my questions truthfully?" "Are the lights on in this room" "Are you a member of the Taliban?" The operator will punch in each answer and, after a delay of a minute or so for processing, the screen will display the results: "Green," if it thinks the person has told the truth, "Red" for deception, and "Yellow" if it can't decide.

The device cannot be used on U.S. personnel.The Army has bought 94 of the $7,500 PCASS machines, which are sold by Lafayette Instrument Co. of Lafayette, Ind. The algorithm, or computer program that makes the decisions, was written by the Advanced Physics Lab at Johns Hopkins University. Besides the Army, other branches of the U.S. military have seen the device and may order their own. The total cost of the project so far is about $2.5 million.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23926278/
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6614
no fucking way.  this seriously makes me laugh.  rather not say why.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6471|so randum
Does it still plug into you and shit?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War
+303|6448|Communist Republic of CA, USA

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Someone's still sore.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6471|so randum

Major.League.Infidel wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Someone's still sore.
Cavity Search.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
FallenMorgan
+53|5884|Glendale, CA

FatherTed wrote:

Does it still plug into you and shit?
No, they just call upon Jesus Christ to come down and put a knife to his neck and say "You lyin' you sonabitch?"
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6513|Texas - Bigger than France
I really thought the hand-held lie detector was going to be a gun.  I really did.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6381|'Murka

They should deploy that in the Pentagon during budget drills.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6614
doesnt have to work to get the job done.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6677|67.222.138.85
I highly doubt its technical effectiveness, but...

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

doesnt have to work to get the job done.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6738
i doubt its accuracy. Even a polygraph in a controlled environment has an accuracy rate of 61% and this product is "Less accurate than a polygraph"

Money best spent elsewhere I think.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6614
thats what you think
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5970|The Mitten

blademaster wrote:

The device cannot be used on U.S. personnel
Umm.... wat?

Oh, and:

blademaster wrote:

and "Yellow" if it can't decide
https://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb285/Morpheus1229/loldetector.jpg
EE (hats
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Let's see, five guys loaded to the ears with intimidating gear shove a box in your face and it isn't going to influence test results?
PureFodder
+225|6256
Delayed april fools joke or insanity? Lie detectory barely work under carefully controlled curcumstances and can easily be fooled. How exactly does anyone propose they'll work in a battlefield?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard