CameronPoe
+2,925|6553

usmarine wrote:

usmarine wrote:

I watched the first clip brad, and all I saw was people giving their opinion.  they are allowed to do that in this country you know.  this isn't state run media like china or NK.  I see plenty of left views on fox.  but all you tin foil hat people do is yank out the right wing clips and group them together.  you are not exactly being fair and balanced yourself.
Free speech?

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-04-09 17:00:03)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6759

CameronPoe wrote:

usmarine wrote:

usmarine wrote:

I watched the first clip brad, and all I saw was people giving their opinion.  they are allowed to do that in this country you know.  this isn't state run media like china or NK.  I see plenty of left views on fox.  but all you tin foil hat people do is yank out the right wing clips and group them together.  you are not exactly being fair and balanced yourself.
THATS COMMENTARY OPINION SHOW,  NOT NEWS FFS.  god damn what is wrong with you people.

way to pull out the clips like the rest of the muppets.

Last edited by usmarine (2008-04-09 17:00:11)

FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6408|'Murka

Braddock wrote:

FEOS wrote:

When I said "you" it was a generic term...didn't mean "Braddock". Sorry about that.

Have you watched the actual news broadcasts on Fox (as opposed to the morning show and opinion shows)?
It's still a bit of a generalisation, people left of the political spectrum are human you know
I call bullshit. They are all aliens with acid for blood.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6288|Éire

usmarine wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Did you only watch the first clip? Did you watch the clip where Rupert Murdoch cagily admits he uses his media outlets to follow his own particular agenda and admits FOX news was openly supportive of the Bush administration? Now if I found out that RTÉ news were openly supportive of any incumbent Irish government I would be unable to trust them on any news regarding Government or domestic politics. It's not the job of a News company to pick sides, it's their job to scrutinise everything in the public interest...that's what's so fucking wrong with most American news.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6759

Braddock wrote:

...that's what's so fucking wrong with most American news.
ya ok.  your news is so awesome.  I bow to bbc.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6553

usmarine wrote:

I was just addressing your 'I saw was people giving their opinion.  they are allowed to do that in this country you know.' quote with a demonstration of some really petty and immature mic-cutting. Pathetic.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6759

CameronPoe wrote:

usmarine wrote:

I was just addressing your 'I saw was people giving their opinion.  they are allowed to do that in this country you know.' quote with a demonstration of some really petty and immature mic-cutting. Pathetic.
And that has to do with news how?  How does that affect the reporting of "Bus flips over on highway."  ?????????????  It doesn't.  They report the actual news like everyone else.  You just do not like their opinions.  well boo hoo,
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6288|Éire

usmarine wrote:

THATS COMMENTARY OPINION SHOW,  NOT NEWS FFS.  god damn what is wrong with you people.

I've raised the point before usmarine...there's little or no major distinguishing factors between the news segments and opinion segments. It all looks, feels and sounds the same and merges into a blurry whole e.g. the sets look the same, the graphics look the same. You and I may be able to distinguish the difference but the less discerning member of the public might not. You know that until Sky News (FOX's sister station in the UK) started bringing in opinion sections there was no such thing as that in UK news...it has no place on a news channel in my opinion. Opinions are not the news, the opinions of people involved in the stories are news but the presentation of the news should not be adding any opinion or slant, it should be objective.

There's really no point arguing with you on the issue because you will watch FOX regardless because it panders to your political mindset, it probably makes you feels all warm inside when you watch it and that's fair enough but if you want to actually break down the presentation style, the themes, the choice of interviewees, the use of graphics and the actual wording of the reporters and examine these factors in terms of semiotically you will see that FOX News is very far from objective. I'm not saying that makes all the liberals biased networks blame free but I definitely see more bias on FOX (in terms of semiotics) than any other station.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6553

usmarine wrote:

And that has to do with news how?  How does that affect the reporting of "Bus flips over on highway."  ?????????????  It doesn't.  They report the actual news like everyone else.  You just do not like their opinions.  well boo hoo,
Well not really marine. They report a lot of news stories, many of them either trivial or exaggerated, specifically designed to alienate viewers against Muslims, news stories regarding Palestine do not show the plight of Palestinians in any way, shape or form whilst magnifying the plight of the Israelis, they seem obsessed with religion based stories and report them as if the world is gonna fucking end because some silly 14 year old pitch got a zero in school for painting a picture of a crucifix.... It's pathetic. They will also flat out not run reports on items that don't fit their agenda if they can get away with it.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6288|Éire

usmarine wrote:

Braddock wrote:

...that's what's so fucking wrong with most American news.
ya ok.  your news is so awesome.  I bow to bbc.
Sounds like someone's a little jealous.

I'm from Ireland by the way, BBC stands for British Broadcasting Corporation...our state news is called Nuacht RTÉ.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6644
I can't be assed to watch the news but the few times I've seen Fox news the bias is obvious. I don't pay enough attention to the other stations to see if it balances out the liberal bias.

I remember in one of my sociology classes the prof was saying that the liberal bias was a myth.
FEOS
+1,182|6408|'Murka

CameronPoe wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Well not really marine. They report a lot of news stories, many of them either trivial or exaggerated, specifically designed to alienate viewers against Muslims, news stories regarding Palestine do not show the plight of Palestinians in any way, shape or form whilst magnifying the plight of the Israelis, they seem obsessed with religion based stories and report them as if the world is gonna fucking end because some silly 14 year old pitch got a zero in school for painting a picture of a crucifix.... It's pathetic. They will also flat out not run reports on items that don't fit their agenda if they can get away with it.
Because the other news channels don't "not report" things, do they? Unequal treatment of people within this country is only newsworthy if it's a non-Christian or a minority? The fact that Fox reports things that others don't is some kind of grand conservative brain-washing conspiracy and not just reporting FACTS that point out the hypocrisy of many programs and policies?

If you live in a cave your whole life and someone shines a flashlight in your face, you cringe.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FEOS
+1,182|6408|'Murka

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

I remember in one of my sociology classes the prof was saying that the liberal bias was a myth.
Most liberals do.
― Albert Einstein

Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6704|67.222.138.85

SenorToenails wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Left out. As I said in the other thread, there is no reason English is to be preferred over Spanish, as long as the whole crew is speaking the same language. Limiting it to English is a right view, though granted an obvious and popularly held one.
Virginia has been speaking english for 400 years.  This country has 230+ years of english tradition.  While it may not be an nationally ordained language, it is the language of the law and the majority of the country.

These firefighters should speak english.  What if they need to communicate with another citizen while on duty?  How can they do that effectively?
What if they have to communicate with a non-English speaking citizen, and everyone speaks English?

Besides, chances are if they all spoke Spanish, the majority of the citizens would speak Spanish.

Again though, we're getting into the territory of opinion, which is exactly what the question is asking. Neither side is exactly right or wrong, they both have their merits, and as such don't deserve to be on a news service.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6641
god damn fox news banner ad
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6377|MN
I get my news from here: http://forums.bf2s.com.

The news is unbiased and even includes wonderful commentary from all over the world.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6146|'straya

usmarine wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

usmarine wrote:

So u dont find it alittle interesting that the only opinions given on FOX are right wing? that any left wing views or "liberal pussies" as you would say are told to shut up, cut off or just not put on the show? but hey after all they are "fair and balanced"

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2008-04-09 18:23:18)

Hunter/Jumper
+117|6352

SenorToenails wrote:

I watch Fox News.  I think a lot of people have a hard time separating their commentary from their news, though I really don't know why.  They are pretty obviously separate.
You nailed it ! Some people took the short bus to school I guess ....
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6128|North Tonawanda, NY

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Again though, we're getting into the territory of opinion, which is exactly what the question is asking. Neither side is exactly right or wrong, they both have their merits, and as such don't deserve to be on a news service.
I still don't see how asking the state about their language policy is not newsworthy.  In fact, omitting that side of the story contributes to bias.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6759

Braddock wrote:

There's really no point arguing with you on the issue because you will watch FOX regardless because it panders to your political mindset, it probably makes you feels all warm inside when you watch it and that's fair enough but if you want to actually break down the presentation style, the themes, the choice of interviewees, the use of graphics and the actual wording of the reporters and examine these factors in terms of semiotically you will see that FOX News is very far from objective. I'm not saying that makes all the liberals biased networks blame free but I definitely see more bias on FOX (in terms of semiotics) than any other station.
Too bad you are WAY off babe.  I watch MSNBC and read Janes.com and aljazeera.net.  So you keep thinking what you want.  Apparently I seem to be the only one who is being objective.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6759

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

usmarine wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

So u dont find it alittle interesting that the only opinions given on FOX are right wing? that any left wing views or "liberal pussies" as you would say are told to shut up, cut off or just not put on the show? but hey after all they are "fair and balanced"
You ever watch hanity and colmes?  That is left and right.  And keep using that shutting off the mic example, like that has any bearing on anything.
Flaming_Maniac

SenorToenails wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I still don't see how asking the state about their language policy is not newsworthy.  In fact, omitting that side of the story contributes to bias.
They should be asked about the policy, but the way they worded how the State does not have a response was biased. If they couldn't contact the State about it, why not "The State could not be reached for comment at this time" or something. Asking "Why shouldn't all the firefighters have to speak English?" is not a journalistic question.

This is really starting to get in to some inane stuff now, the point is Fox, as with all news services are biased. All of them are significantly biased, but I doubt any of them are consciously spinning their reports. (well, maybe, but we can only make conjectures to that) You aren't going to get any less-biased news going through CNN or something, only something where the bias is opposite your political stance. Just don't try to say that the news source that aligns with your political views isn't biased - trust me, it's there, even if you can't see it.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6128|North Tonawanda, NY

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

They should be asked about the policy, but the way they worded how the State does not have a response was biased. If they couldn't contact the State about it, why not "The State could not be reached for comment at this time" or something. Asking "Why shouldn't all the firefighters have to speak English?" is not a journalistic question.

This is really starting to get in to some inane stuff now, the point is Fox, as with all news services are biased. All of them are significantly biased, but I doubt any of them are consciously spinning their reports. (well, maybe, but we can only make conjectures to that) You aren't going to get any less-biased news going through CNN or something, only something where the bias is opposite your political stance. Just don't try to say that the news source that aligns with your political views isn't biased - trust me, it's there, even if you can't see it.
I know the news is biased.  My argument is that that particular segment was not anywhere near as biased as you claim.  Though, I suppose saying "the state did not comment" would be a better phrase. 

I don't think there is much else to say about this anymore.
Flaming_Maniac

SenorToenails wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I know the news is biased.  My argument is that that particular segment was not anywhere near as biased as you claim.  Though, I suppose saying "the state did not comment" would be a better phrase. 

I don't think there is much else to say about this anymore.
Agreed.

The blank karma earlier was mine, was trying to tell you I had to leave for school. Nice chatting with you.
<BoTM>J_Aero
Qualified Expert
+62|6463|Melbourne - Home of Football

SenorToenails wrote:

<BoTM>J_Aero wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

I watch Fox News.  I think a lot of people have a hard time separating their commentary from their news, though I really don't know why.  They are pretty obviously separate.
Didn't you already point that out two pages ago?
I'm glad you noticed.  Was that before or after you posted a video about commentary?
- The video is a joke, I hope you watched, it's funny, maybe showing a little why the Fox News Network has such a bad reputation?

- Every news network has what you could call analysis or commentary as part of it programming. Please don't tell me that you've defined the topic as to mean "Fox News", only the segments on the Fox News Network where actual news is relayed to you, which still imo carries a bias anyway. I know you'd like to define things that way, but you can't: Wolf Blitzer is a part of CNN, Bill O'Reilly is a part of Fox News, he certainly doesn't help give them credibility or balance.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard