DasCapital
+0|6726|Melbourne, AUS
I've searched for this and found nothing so pls excuse me if it has been raised:

One feature I'd like to see is giving Squad Leaders the ability to request an air strike, in the same way as requesting supplies/arty from the commander.

Apon requesting a little icon could appear on the commander's display and, if accepted, a broadcast could order anyone on the team in a chopper/jet to strike that position. The minimap could show the location and direct the air support in.

So many times a squad gets bailed up by a tank or apc that could be easily handled by air assets but the flyboys are somewhere else, oblivious to the carnage.
Refused
+0|6682|South Sweden
I agree, that would be awesome.
Kratos Aurion
+36|6663|Sweden
I agree.
Would be very usefull for a squad and I think the pilots would enjoy it to.
$kelet0r
+16|6703
you mean like using a laser designator?
twas cut from the original version
Crypto_420
+25|6864|Portland
I would love to see that feature added.   That would help out alot,    MAKE NOTE EA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DasCapital
+0|6726|Melbourne, AUS
Not quite like a laser designator, which would have to be aimed at a target constantly.

More like radioing in a request for a strike on a particular location, which would then be marked by the commander's acceptance of the request and broadcast to all teammates in the air.

...with a nice clear icon on the mini map for all flying types to see and say 'if i want to help the team I'll bomb that'.
JimKong
+31|6663|Ohio
They need to add more bombs to the planes then.
minus_2
+0|6673
THats an exellent idea (WE WANT IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Methos_Tribun
+0|6760
That would be a nice feature. The only way a squad leader can communicate with a pilot is through the chat or when he is in the same squad.
I always ask my commander over VOIP to spot targets for me or tell me where to bomb. Help us both (to hold a point and give me a lot of kills an flag defend points). That's the reason why I allways become a squad leader when I'm a <<flyboy>>
schakl
+21|6710
Hmm, you have that feature. Just mark with Q/space. When I fly helos or bombers and I hear 'APC/tanK' spotted I am on my way ASAP (next points, lol).

Hawk

Last edited by schakl (2006-02-21 04:35:34)

schakl
+21|6710

Methos_Tribun wrote:

That would be a nice feature. The only way a squad leader can communicate with a pilot is through the chat or when he is in the same squad.
I always ask my commander over VOIP to spot targets for me or tell me where to bomb. Help us both (to hold a point and give me a lot of kills an flag defend points). That's the reason why I allways become a squad leader when I'm a <<flyboy>>
I also helps other members to join and use the secondary weapons.

Last edited by schakl (2006-02-21 04:36:55)

DasCapital
+0|6726|Melbourne, AUS

schakl wrote:

Hmm, you have that feature. Just mark with Q/space. When I fly helos or bombers and I hear 'APC/tanK' spotted I am on my way ASAP (next points, lol).

Hawk
Many pilots aren't quite as responsive as you!

Also the 'spotted' highlight applies only for a short time and could be missed by a pilot.  An order from the commander that says 'Place an air-strike at this location' could be much more compelling.

Last edited by DasCapital (2006-02-21 14:38:07)

PFCStenzel
Check your AA alarm...
+82|6815|Idaho, USA / Age 30
I love the idea, but what about the maps without air support or helos in it.  How would you do that?
howler_27
+90|6708
When I fly, I consider ground support my primary duty.  Especially when in a bomber.  I live to try and help the ground pounders.  When I do hear the "APC or ARMOR SIGHTED", I try and get there ASAP.   Now, the only benifit that I see from the idea of having a directed airstrike request over the standard sighting is that when the grunts on the ground hear "REQUESTING AIRSTRIKE" and a "ROGER THAT, Dog 1 Inbound" , they will get their asses out of the area due to an impending strike, as opposed to flocking to that position to take it out with Anti-Armor Infantry.  In either way, it would be benificial to lock out TK abilities when a target hit by said airstrike takes out team members who don't get out of the area.
MardukeV
+0|6857|Washington, DC
That would be a great feature. I could just imagine 2 tanks in Wake Island sitting on a road blasting the hell out of North Village and a sniper designates the tanks for airstrike. Something like a green or blue icon on the minimap, and maybe even an arrow on the HUD (like there is for squad members) would be good.

Snipers and squad leaders should be able to mark it, and a "accept request" prompt could come up, asking if you are up to the task. And you could get the kills, along with some teampoints.
Mike_J
+68|6690
nah.  ground troops spotting vehicles is fine enough.  although i must say, IF YOU'RE GOING TO SPOT ARMOR AND EXPECT A JET TO TAKE IT OUT, THEN GET THE HELL AWAY FROM STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO THE ENEMY ARMOR OR ELSE REMOVE YOUR DAMN FINGER FROM THE PUNISH BUTTON!!!!

Last edited by Mike_J (2006-02-22 16:41:23)

the_ubernoob_
+8|6764

PFCStenzel wrote:

I love the idea, but what about the maps without air support or helos in it.  How would you do that?
Any calls for airstrikes would be ignored in a situation without air vehicles...much like the "Enemy boat spotted" in the middle of a city or "Enemy AA vehicle" on maps with no AA vehicles.

When I fly I feel that I can help the ground troops out more by keeping the skies clear for them instead of trying to bomb their targets (unless I'm in the bomber...then I bomb).  As a result I rarely find those few tanks that annoy the ground troops (but those troops can't say the same thing about choppers ).  An airstrike command would let me know to switch to bombs and do my best to take out the tank.

I would assume that the airstirke command would be an addition to the commander/squadleader specific commands (attack, defend, move).  It would be easy enough to add/replace one of the existing order commands (one of the ones never used. like mines or repair).

We could do this without EA/DICE's help with a little talking to the commander.  Just tell him to give your squad (the air squadron) one of the useless orders (my vote is for "mine this position") the little mine on the map would be the approximate location of the tank.  Although this won't achieve the same effect as allowing all squadleaders to call in their own airstrikes; A skilled commander (one that knows how to do more than spot every #@&*ยง unit every 1/2 second) could easily notice that a squad just sighted several vehicles and give the air squadron the keyword command (mine this position) to call in an airstrike.

edit:
-----------------------------------------------------------
the airstrike command would be a beacon to get friendly air units to engage ground forces in that area.  Sighting the vechicles in conjuction with the airstrike would assist in precision bombing.  (think of an airstrike as a pin on the briefing map to let the planes know where to bomb and the sighted command as the laser designator to let the planes know what to aim at.  The bombing run can be accomplished with only one or neither but both in conjuction with each other make for a trully amazing fireworks display )

Last edited by the_ubernoob_ (2006-02-22 17:11:45)

twood375
+16|6669|Washington, D.C.
Has anyone else played SOCOM II online? The machanic for airstrikes in that were pretty sweet; just go up to the humvee and click call airstrike

The only thing is the airstrike target is stationary; you cant select any spot on the map to bomb- thatd be unbalanced.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard