So, Has It All Been Worth It?

Yes29%29% - 30
No70%70% - 71
Total: 101
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6303|Éire
The Invasion Of Iraq...

Pro's: Saddam Hussein, the brutal dictator, is gone, the Iraqi people are free to try and form some form of alternative Government for themselves.

Con's: 4000 American deaths and counting, between 150,000 and 1,033,000 Iraqi deaths and counting, no weapons of mass destruction, an incredibly weak dollar, oil at over 100 dollars a barrel, a US economy on the verge of serious meltdown, around 501 billion dollars of tax payers money spent, widespread criticism from the International community, a tarnished image on the world stage and an Iraq that now has a strong Al-Qaeda presence and appears to be sympathetic to Iranian interests.

...was it all worth it?

Please give reasons for your opinion.

Last edited by Braddock (2008-03-30 16:02:46)

Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6719|67.222.138.85
There was no other choice, barring invading a different ME country after Afghanistan.

Was the invasion botched, both in presenting it to the people and in politics getting in the way of military action, definitely, even to the point of setting us backward in the goals that led to the invasion. However, the fact at the time was not opening up another front in the Middle East was not an option.
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6461

Obviously not, please refer to your OP, if you want the reasons. As you pretty much, summed up everything...

the Iraqi people are free to try and form some form of alternative Government for themselves.
Wake me up, when that happens.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6303|Éire

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

There was no other choice, barring invading a different ME country after Afghanistan.

Was the invasion botched, both in presenting it to the people and in politics getting in the way of military action, definitely, even to the point of setting us backward in the goals that led to the invasion. However, the fact at the time was not opening up another front in the Middle East was not an option.
I don't follow you. How was there 'no other option' exactly? What has this second front in the Middle East achieved in the name of US security or financial interests?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6656
I fought there for a year, aside from 2006, the second bloodiest.  I thought it was bullshit to invade from the start.

But, I fought there for a year, which I think is the reason why I cant support a withdrawal with good conscious.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6568

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Erm, wut?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6613|132 and Bush

This post lacks historical context. It's like asking a women in labor if shitting out a kid is worth it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6423|'Murka

Interesting that you chose to tie every negative in the economy to the Iraq war.

Braddock wrote:

Con's: 4000 American deaths and counting, between 150,000 and 1,033,000 Iraqi deaths and counting, no weapons of mass destruction, an incredibly weak dollar, oil at over 100 dollars a barrel, a US economy on the verge of serious meltdown, around 501 billion dollars of tax payers money spent, widespread criticism from the International community, a tarnished image on the world stage and an Iraq that now has a strong Al-Qaeda presence and appears to be sympathetic to Iranian interests.
There.

The Iraq war had nothing to do with either the credit crunch or the subprime mess.

As the Iraq war did nothing to impact oil production or supply worldwide, its impact on the price of oil is questionable. The price of oil is likely more due to increased consumption in emerging markets like India and China.

As to things that are related to the Iraq war:

- AQ's presence in Iraq is actually at the weakest it has been since the foreign fighters started entering.
- Not sure where you're getting "sympathetic to Iranian interests", as Iraq's primary interest is a stable government and economy, while Iran's primary interest is in continued chaos in Iraq. Seem to be exactly the opposite...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
CameronPoe
+2,925|6568

FEOS wrote:

- Not sure where you're getting "sympathetic to Iranian interests", as Iraq's primary interest is a stable government and economy, while Iran's primary interest is in continued chaos in Iraq. Seem to be exactly the opposite...
The opposite argument can be made on that count. Iran has a strong interest in the Shia majority consolidating power in Iraq. A strong representative Iraqi government will actually play into their hands.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6568
The invasion of Iraq set a horrible post-Cold War precedent that made the entire rest of the world take a step back and say 'Frankly I'm a little scared of the USA now. They seem to be comfortable destabilising the world in an extremely poorly thought-through fashion for no discernibly good reason'. We all then went off and read about the Cold War conflicts in a different light and thought 'We should have realised what the US stood for sooner. They certainly don't stand for true freedom, sovereignty and democracy in countries they have a strategic interest in or where they just want to make a bloody point.'
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6303|Éire

FEOS wrote:

Interesting that you chose to tie every negative in the economy to the Iraq war.

Braddock wrote:

There.

The Iraq war had nothing to do with either the credit crunch or the subprime mess.

As the Iraq war did nothing to impact oil production or supply worldwide, its impact on the price of oil is questionable. The price of oil is likely more due to increased consumption in emerging markets like India and China.

As to things that are related to the Iraq war:

- AQ's presence in Iraq is actually at the weakest it has been since the foreign fighters started entering.
You're right that the war is not responsible for the economic mess at home but is it conscionable to spend upwards of 500 billion dollars on war in a foreign land that poses no security threat while your own economy goes down the toilet?

That's a fair point that the war's impact on oil cost is questionable but my mentioning of it is still valid in that the invasion had no ostensibly positive effects on oil prices either.

AQ's presence may be at a low level now but it was virtually nonexistent prior to invasion, it's a bit like saying "darn, I lost a million dollars but hey I found 50'000".

Iraq and America's old enemy Iran were arch enemies during the Hussein era whereas now you have a young Iraqi Government susceptible to external interference that appears to be opening itself up to warm relations with the Iranians, who like yourselves are always keen to keep their foot in affairs for their own interests.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6847|Kubra, Damn it!

FEOS wrote:

That's the stupidest argument I've heard in a while. You can't call that an achievement when we let them in there in the first place.
FallenMorgan
+53|5926|Glendale, CA
No it is not worth it.  Here's what happened:

The World Trade Center was attacked by al-Quida, which was being backed and whatnot by the Taliban.  We went in and kicked the shit out of the Taliban, and it was believed that Osama fled into Pakistan, so we invaded Iraq.  WTF?
chittydog
less busy
+586|6847|Kubra, Damn it!

FallenMorgan wrote:

No it is not worth it.  Here's what happened:

The World Trade Center was attacked by al-Quida, which was being backed and whatnot by the Taliban.  We went in and kicked the shit out of the Taliban, and it was believed that Osama fled into Pakistan, so we invaded Iraq.  WTF?
This man said it all right here.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6770|Argentina
Yes, for Halliburton, Texaco, Shell, BP, Exxon, etc.
FEOS
+1,182|6423|'Murka

CameronPoe wrote:

The invasion of Iraq set a horrible post-Cold War precedent that made the entire rest of the world take a step back and say 'Frankly I'm a little scared of the USA now. They seem to be comfortable destabilising the world in an extremely poorly thought-through fashion for no discernibly good reason'. We all then went off and read about the Cold War conflicts in a different light and thought 'We should have realised what the US stood for sooner. They certainly don't stand for true freedom, sovereignty and democracy in countries they have a strategic interest in or where they just want to make a bloody point.'
Don't take the actions of this Administration to be an example of what the US stood for in the past or what it truly stands for today. Taking the position you lay out is cynical in the extreme and at least partially blind to historical fact...particularly since it's based on a seven year period from our entire 232 year history.

chittydog wrote:

That's the stupidest argument I've heard in a while. You can't call that an achievement when we let them in there in the first place.
OK smartass. I was addressing a specific point raised by Braddock, not justifying the invasion of Iraq based on a lower amount of AQ in-country today. I know full well they weren't there beforehand. The argument was over his use of the word "strong" in the present tense WRT AQ in Iraq, which is not the case.

And for the record: No. I don't think it was worth what has been spent in lives and treasure.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Flaming_Maniac

Braddock wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I don't follow you. How was there 'no other option' exactly? What has this second front in the Middle East achieved in the name of US security or financial interests?
In my opinion, the entire invasion of the ME was to show the Islamic extremists the strength of the U.S. to prevent further attacks. After we successfully armed, and then proceeded to piss off a lot of people in Afghanistan in the tail end of the Cold War, the U.S. could not be seen as a sleeping giant to the rest of Islam. The people we trained knew they could strike the U.S. to make us look weak to their bretheren halfway across the world from the U.S., making us look like incompetent has-beens.

What are the two choices after that? Do the short-term sensible thing, nothing, because on paper the U.S. has far more to lose in a conventional military attack half-way across the world than to gain? The problem is once the blood is in the water, recruitment to these terror organizations would only increase when people see how weak the U.S. really is, people who want to see the only world super power left, who twenty years ago just screwed over their area of the world, crumble.

So the only option was to have a strong show of strength in the ME, and the only real influence on where was what would sound the most plausible to the American people. Al-Queda is a baseless organization (lol irony) that can operate from anywhere, with little contact from superiors, so there is no  way to really strike one place and expect a significant result against the organization itself. The special forces teams sent very shortly after 9/11 had just about the best effect against them possible, conventional attacks are nearly useless.

As we have found out they are, for the most part, counterproductive, because of the inspiring effect they have on the enemy. The U.S. is vastly technologically superior in every way, has the advantage of armor, air support, better recon, etc., but the fact is when it's one on one, a U.S. soldier with his M16 and a freedom fighter with his trusty AK, the odds are pretty much even. By no stretch of the imagination could the resistance ever completely "beat" the U.S. in a military sense, but as the world sees the U.S. bleed, more join the war against us and we become more and more demoralized on the homefront.

Which is why the U.S. is put in a painful position. We can't just "win" in the usual sense, there has to be a decisive victory. Once any hope of that was gone in Afghanistan...move right on to the next one. Obviously the whole ordeal has become rather counterproductive, but that's how I see it, and honestly I don't know if reacting any differently would have made things better.

It's a shitty situation in the shitty world, all we can do is do the best we can, and whining about it after the fact doesn't help. If anyone has a really good idea of what we should have done from December 2001-present, or really good analysis of exactly where we went wrong, great, lets learn from history. Saying "The Iraq war is bad, pull out, GWB looks like a monkey" is not productive at all.
FEOS
+1,182|6423|'Murka

Interesting theory, but I'm wondering just how the US screwed over the ME 20 years ago.

Are you referring to Afghanistan? Please explain how is helping them fight off a Soviet invasion of their country "screwing them over"?

I do agree with your final point. We've made a mess...it's up to us to clean it up.
― Albert Einstein

Tetrino
International OMGWTFBBQ
+200|6743|Uhh... erm...
Iraq was better off in Saddam's hands. He might have screwed over the Iraqis, but he made sure that terrorism was at an all-time low.
Flaming_Maniac

FEOS wrote:

Interesting theory, but I'm wondering just how the US screwed over the ME 20 years ago.

Are you referring to Afghanistan? Please explain how is helping them fight off a Soviet invasion of their country "screwing them over"?

I do agree with your final point. We've made a mess...it's up to us to clean it up.
I am referring to Afghanistan.

When the Soviets were preparing to invade, we sent special teams (I don't think necessarily special forces teams, though I'm sure there were some there, I think it was mostly CIA) to Afghanistan to arm and supply the local militias. Basically, we went and said hey good buddies howya doin, how about we give you a whole shitload of money and weapons and you help us fight them commies?

So we armed the local forces to fight against the U.S.S.R. in much the same style as current Iraq or Vietnam. The problem is we didn't particularly care about the people there, only about beating the Soviets, so some time after the Cold War ended we stopped sending aid, and they started to have military problems of their own. That was when the Taliban were coming to power, and the forces we had equipped, though experienced, didn't have the supplies to stop them. So the Taliban ended up in the control of the country, the people we equipped (later to become Al-Qaeda) were extremely angry at us, and then later went back to Afghanistan as friends with the Taliban.

Most of the history of this is from the book America's Secret War, a book about the present war in Afghanistan that I think I read in 2004. The same principles that applied in Afghanistan apply to Iraq, Iraq is just a second try for that elusive decisive military victory.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6774

it will be worth it when the world starts running out of oil.
Liberal-Sl@yer
Certified BF2S Asshole
+131|6468|The edge of sanity

FEOS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Thank you! That needed to be said.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6613|132 and Bush

Tetrino wrote:

Iraq was better off in Saddam's hands. He might have screwed over the Iraqis, but he made sure that terrorism was at an all-time low.
Chemical attacks ftw?
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/16/world … ghdad.html
Xbone Stormsurgezz
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6664|USA
Nope, it was not worth it. I support the troops so I support their efforts and since the decision was made to go to war I think not enough is/was done to win it decisively. That means, screw PC and go in and get the job done, but no, I wish we had not gone in.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6613|132 and Bush

The question is has it weakened us.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard