0akleaves
+183|6583|Newcastle UK
Im startin today in tesco on the checkouts to help me save up for a car and was wondering if any of you worked on some checkouts and whats it like.
You have to learn the rules of the game and then you have to play better than anyone else.
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6643|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
I shop a hell of a lot for food, 5 of us in the house so I got the same experience of someone who works there.

Im suprised you never been to a supermarket before but there will be a row of about 20 of you, some girls some boys.  Customers will walk into your shop, fill the trolleys up and come to your aisle. They will load there food on a conveyor belt and it will convey itself to you. You simply look for the barcode on it, and zap it past this like laser window thing on the desk infront of where you are sat.  You may be required to say "Hello, would you like a hand with your packing"?  I usually say "No thanks".

After you have zapped it and they have packed you will need to tell them how much they are going to pay, they pay, you put the cash in your pocket they leave.  If they want to pay by card tell them "I'll forget the whiskey and vodka if you pay by cash" and wink at them.

You will also be required to ask them "Do you have a clubcard"?  Try not to sigh and say "ohh well, give it here then", if they say they do.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6654|Espoo, Finland
You: "Good morning/afternoon/evening"
Customer: "..."
*ding* *ding* *ding*
You: "$2.99"
You: "Thank you, have a nice day!"

Never worked there, but I'm sure that's a fairly accurate description.
tiptopT
+72|6551|Scotland's Capital
Yup, worked in Asda on the Checkouts for nearly 3 years when at uni.  Honestly it sucked!  Only good thing was the banter with the customers, which was also the worst thing.  Summer time is good, everyone is generally happier, just wait till its pissing it down and you get the brunt of wet customers who have been walking round a packed store for a few hours, YEY!! 12 hours on a till then going into a 10 hour nightshift on the shop floor is not fun

"im happy to help"...am i fuck!
0akleaves
+183|6583|Newcastle UK
lol ive been before lol am not stupid just wonderin wot its like 2 work there.
You have to learn the rules of the game and then you have to play better than anyone else.
Microwave
_
+515|6625|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
I work on fresh foods (like yoghurt's, juice, cheese, ready meals etc) at Waitrose but I'm also trained on the checkouts.

I prefer working on checkouts because you get to interact with customers so the time passes faster. It's not actually too bad.
Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6689|Scotland
I currently work on checkouts in Sainsbury's

Gets boring .. but it's good pay for what you do.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England

Gawwad wrote:

You: "Good morning/afternoon/evening"
*ding* *ding* *ding*
You: "$2.99"
You: "Thank you, have a nice day!"

Never worked there, but I'm sure that's a fairly accurate description.
Well I'm not sure how it is there in Geordie land but that's how it is here, no smalltalk, nobody has time to be nice. I wouldn't have it any other way.
tiptopT
+72|6551|Scotland's Capital
Have you got to the point yet where:
- you know ALL the fruit and veg numbers off by heart?
- you dont notice the *beep* off the till anymore but you do notice when it doesnt beep?
- you can use the number pad without looking?

Ah happy days
Oakey - If im in your shop, on your aisle and some prick infront dosen't put out the "Next customer please" thing and you get confused between my shopping and his/hers I'll warn you now It will kick off as I see it as their god given right to put that little stopper thing after they have loaded there food up, the lazt shits, that winds me right up.  And then sometimes you get the kids from the local gymnastics club wanting to load ya bags up and then shake a bucket at you, cheeky shits, ask Mr Tesco, Ive just given him 50 quid.
Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6689|Scotland

tiptopT wrote:

White grapes 2370

also Bananas 4011

Airwolf wrote:

tiptopT wrote:

White grapes 2370

also Bananas 4011

Your single arn't you?
Mint Sauce
Frighteningly average
+780|6256|eng
I do.
#rekt
0akleaves
+183|6583|Newcastle UK
lol am proper bricking it lol 4-10 today but i aint got a clue lol think i'l just be watching someone today hopefully cant be arsed with everyone on good friday.
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6418

Mine is not a supermarket exactly - It's Monastic Shop part of the Abbey.

0akleaves wrote:

lol am proper bricking it lol 4-10 today but i aint got a clue lol think i'l just be watching someone today hopefully cant be arsed with everyone on good friday.
Well fuck its hardly a "Good Friday" with you if you got them hours.
0akleaves
+183|6583|Newcastle UK
lol the hours when every one has finished work and the stores the busiest?
rh27
Not really a Brit
+51|6566|England
Can't speak for Tesco but when I covered a few shifts on checkouts in Sainbury's it was dull as all hell.

There's a pedal on the floor, push down to move the belt, lift up to stop it. Scan items across, and repeat.

There's a lot of crap about customer service and talking.. but well they tell you again and again and again and again what to say so no need to mention it.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6642|Colorado
It pays the bills, as usual the customers are the worst part.
Omg unless your behind a checkout today don't go.  Took me 30 mins to get there, 10 ins to park, 5 mins to get a trolley and get in and my face sunk, it was ram packed.  I thought it was Christmas Eve all over again, fighting past all the grannies, figthing past loads of other people I reach one of those people with the "Can I help badge?".

"Alright luv, wheres the Lamb"?

"Sorry, we've sold out"

Hardly fucking helps does it.

All the way there, all the way fighting down the aisles and they havent got the bloody thing I seen them advertise on the telly.  Got beef on Sunday instead.

However I did get, twiglets, Jelly beans and a curry for later. I am a bit Jack n Beanstalk when I go shopping.
0akleaves
+183|6583|Newcastle UK
lol thanks guys, for the 1st 3 hours i was collecting trolleys and baskets in and out of snow in a t shirt and jeans thanks to no jackets left then for the last 3 hours i got some talk on checkout operation lol.

also there were several fights over easter eggs and chocolate.

Last edited by 0akleaves (2008-03-22 06:10:21)

ddenholm67
DanForth Teh Pwnzer
+53|6526|Scotland

0akleaves wrote:

also there were several fights over easter eggs and chocolate.
Excellent, wish I was there.
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6492
sux2bu
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6459|Gogledd Cymru

Haha tillfag.

Anyway, yesterday was mental, did a 9-6 and fuck me was it busy, nearly as bad as the last sunday before christmas.

We've got no "teen eggs" left, you know the ones with egg and 2 bars. We sold out of them on about monday, and have been putting crappy eggs in mugs that no one wants ever since.

Btw, Oakleaves, checkouts suck, the shopfloor is where it's at, you can even steal food without people noticing.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard