Poll

How'd you feel if they built a Mosque in your negihborhood?

I'd be mad and I'd complain about it14%14% - 48
I wouldn't care tbh55%55% - 184
I think it would improve the neighborhood2%2% - 9
Fuck Islam27%27% - 91
Total: 332
syndicat111
+39|6680|UK
most annoying thing is the calls for prayer at like 5:30am... but not all mosques use loudspeakers to tell each other the time
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

The reason why I mention Wahhabis is because they are more easily defined as the enemy.
maybe for you.  I think its funny.
Would you like to explain what amuses you about it?  I think I have a good reason to be more suspicious of people that have a belief system that promotes a superiority complex.  That's not exactly a trait that meshes well with multiculturalism or free societies.
Reject_Wolf
Former Karkand Addict
+32|6584|Windsor, Ontario, Canada
There is a mosque next door to a catholic high school in my city. LOL
Turquoise
O Canada

FEOS wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Most Muslims are normal people, but Wahhabi......
so we count out the shiites that shot at me?  the iranian quds.  the insurgents in the philipines.  the chechens.

not wahhabis and their numbers put together outnumber wahabis.

wahabis are a small, barely significant, slice of the pie.
GS, the lefties here have already proven that it wasn't Iranian Qods Force who shot at you.

You are clearly mistaken.

Even though you were there.

And they weren't.

Couldn't resist...serious response on its way.
Just to clarify, I'm not disputing what GS had to say.  I was just pointing out that Wahhabism is one of the few cases of an entire sect of people that believe in an ideology conducive to extremism.  The average Shiite is not a terrorist or extremist.  Neither is the average Iranian.

The average Wahhabi is ultraconservative -- which is more conducive to extremism.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Freedom of religion is a wonderful thing. And I believe in it. It would be contrary to the oath I took 13 years ago to have a problem with it.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6337|Oregon
I would probably support it being built, attend its opening, and occasionally go there to worship and learn about Islam. I know very little about that religion, and would like to learn more.
{B-T}<babacanosh>
+31|6604
It's really sad to see all the hatred from this poll.
Hazril
+5|5999

djphetal wrote:

I would probably support it being built, attend its opening, and occasionally go there to worship and learn about Islam. I know very little about that religion, and would like to learn more.
One of the best things I heard in D&ST for years...

But I recommend learn first then worship when you believe.
avman633
+116|6366

Poseidon wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I wouldn't care...  as long as fanatical Islam wasn't being preached there.  If fanaticism was involved, then I'd be concerned.
Brasso
+1,549|6632

no idea, i would be confused tbh.  this is what my neighborhood looks like.

https://img511.imageshack.us/img511/8777/foggyforest12592cz1.jpg
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina

haffeysucks wrote:

no idea, i would be confused tbh.  this is what my neighborhood looks like.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/8777 … 592cz1.jpg
Say Hi to Bigfoot.
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

I wouldn't care tbh
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

sergeriver wrote:

A few years ago they built a Mosque 6 blocks away from my home (at that time I lived in another place).  First, I was like "wtf?  How come they build a Mosque here, in a Catholic country?"  Then, I never paid attention to it anymore.  In fact, I never saw anyone using the 4 blocks building.
Anyway, how would you feel if they built one in your neighborhood?
I do not want it in my country let alone my neighborhood. Islam is a religion that is 180 degrees out from what we as Americans practice morally, freely and equally.

I admit, my opinion contradicts a persons constitutional right to freedom of religion, but I feel the spirit of this assumes your freedom of religion does not hinder another persons freedoms, rights or privileges. Islam clearly does this.
Shaguart
Titties
+56|6370|Calgary, Canada
I would go johnny jihad it

EDIT: I just noticed this is D&ST my bad.

I wouldnt be a happy camper

Last edited by Shaguart (2008-03-20 14:40:53)

Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)
Really couldn't care less.
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6712|Sweden
There already is one here and one more planned so guess i don´t care
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6712|Sweden

David.P wrote:

Burn it.
That does´nt help "ours" been burnt to the ground twice already and as you can see in my above post one more is coming you can´t fight fire with fire!
IRONCHEF
+385|6492|Northern California
It'd never work because the bastages here would sue the developer/owner before brick one was laid for obstruction of view, traffic issues, parking issues, and a host of other zoning issues that have no end.  Allahu-akhbye-bye!
Turquoise
O Canada

lowing wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

A few years ago they built a Mosque 6 blocks away from my home (at that time I lived in another place).  First, I was like "wtf?  How come they build a Mosque here, in a Catholic country?"  Then, I never paid attention to it anymore.  In fact, I never saw anyone using the 4 blocks building.
Anyway, how would you feel if they built one in your neighborhood?
I do not want it in my country let alone my neighborhood. Islam is a religion that is 180 degrees out from what we as Americans practice morally, freely and equally.

I admit, my opinion contradicts a persons constitutional right to freedom of religion, but I feel the spirit of this assumes your freedom of religion does not hinder another persons freedoms, rights or privileges. Islam clearly does this.
Tell me how moderate or reformist Islam does this.
AAFCptKabbom
+127|6660|WPB, FL. USA
I would go each and every Sunday, cross myself, and get to know my new religious neighbors  - reverse Jihad 
Schwarzelungen
drunklenglungen
+133|6298|Bloomington Indiana

djphetal wrote:

well put.

when i moved here about 4 years ago i found out that there was a mosque about two blocks away.  my next thoughts were "hey...i know nothing about this religion..lets go investigate" 

so i went there on a friday for their prayer session...just kinda hung around the back of the room while they did their thing. talked to a few of the guys afterwords...pretty decent guys. 

i ended up fasting ramadan with them...out of curiosity about what it was like...but mostly because they gave me free food at sundown for a month.
karl
+11|6509|Oslo-Norway
Who cares it is just like some other building...
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6708|67.222.138.85
Yay America
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6396|The Gem Saloon
https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/parkercustoms/lebowski.jpg

j/k
Slickdawg8
Visit TAW.NET
+58|6779|Long Island
They wouldn't.  I livei n a town without a traffic light.  Just a whole bunch of rich people/mansions.  I'm sure if it did happen though, TONS of people in my town would complain.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard