Tetrino
International OMGWTFBBQ
+200|6732|Uhh... erm...

Darkhelmet wrote:

Or, what if they have giant walkers like in War of the Worlds (H.G. Wells)?
We just shoot them down, then send an Engineer into them.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)

SenorToenails wrote:

xBlackPantherx wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Or he could simply mean "extraterrestrial".
That works better. But, still, odds are that we couldn't begin to fathom what actually beings would be like beyond bacterium and very small, simple organisms.
This is a neat topic of discussion, even if we can't 'begin to fathom' what aliens might be like.
Except we can. Unless we're lacking big chunks of knowledge in our understanding of basic physics and chemistry, any life found is going to conform to one of very few possible (for it to exhibit the properties of life) chemical make-ups.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6131|North Tonawanda, NY

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Except we can. Unless we're lacking big chunks of knowledge in our understanding of basic physics and chemistry, any life found is going to conform to one of very few possible (for it to exhibit the properties of life) chemical make-ups.
I agree with you.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6344|California

SenorToenails wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

I agree with you.
How do you know there aren't elements/ways or scenarios for living that we don't know about??
Scorpion0x17
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)

xBlackPantherx wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

I agree with you.
How do you know there aren't elements/ways or scenarios for living that we don't know about??
Because as I said, there would have to be massive holes in our understanding of how things work for that to be true. Massive, galaxy sized holes.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2008-03-20 10:42:15)

SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6131|North Tonawanda, NY

xBlackPantherx wrote:

There very well could be, though I doubt it.  But as far as our understanding of life is concerned, there are fewer possibilities than you might think.

Last edited by SenorToenails (2008-03-20 10:48:15)

Yaocelotl
:D
+221|6651|Keyboard

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

xBlackPantherx wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

I agree with you.
Because as I said, there would have to be massive holes in our understanding of how things work for that to be true. Massive, galaxy sized holes.
So with this you say that "life" in this case is the only one based on the human perception of it? Sir, you are wrong if you assume this. Maybe there is more than Carbon based life out there, but if the "scientists" continue saying that there is no life rather than Carbon based, they are also wrong.

Maybe this is off topic, but human knowledge is getting closer to it's limits. The difference of human and wild life is that wild life evolves around his environment, humans change it at their pleasure thus not evolving.

Just my 2 cents.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)

Yaocelotl wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

xBlackPantherx wrote:

So with this you say that "life" in this case is the only one based on the human perception of it? Sir, you are wrong if you assume this. Maybe there is more than Carbon based life out there, but if the "scientists" continue saying that there is no life rather than Carbon based, they are also wrong.

Maybe this is off topic, but human knowledge is getting closer to it's limits. The difference of human and wild life is that wild life evolves around his environment, humans change it at their pleasure thus not evolving.

Just my 2 cents.
Sorry, did I say anything about only carbon based life forms?

No. I did not.

There are other possibilities. Those possibilities are known to science. Those possibilities are extremely limited and limiting.

Your knowledge may be getting close to it's limits, but don't assume that about me or any of the rest of us.
kptk92
u
+972|6409|tc_london
We'd shoot them then look at their bodies ofc
daddyofdeath
A REAL Combat Engineer in the house
+187|6254|UK Bradford W,Yorks. Age 27

SEREMAKER wrote:

hmmmmmmmmmmm

srsly : Independence Day .

me : as soon as they poked there heads out .................................. BOOM HEADSHOT
And teabag their slimy dead alien faces so they knew we meant business.

Last edited by daddyofdeath (2008-03-20 11:12:11)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England
Then steal their spaceship so we can infiltrate their base and rape them, whilst they all line up waiting for another one to spawn, but it wont cos we have it

Too much?

"I'll get my coat"
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Get them back for all the unnecessary "anal probing" they've been doing to humans over the years.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
topal63
. . .
+533|6719
I don't know about the rest of you, but I've always thought it might happen the other way 'round:
What if alien life discovered us? (Thinks of the Twilight-Zone episode: To Serve Man).
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6344|California
If the universe is infinite then the possibilities of life are infinite and therefore infinite combinations of known and unknown elements and there is essentially a 100% chance that there are different factors that can create life other than our known "Goldie-locks" factors. Do you know how tremendously ridiculous the amount of knowledge we have yet to obtain, comprehend or even fathom?? It's extraordinary and the fact that some people think there are very few possibilities beyond what we, as humans, know, is just preposterous.
CloakedStarship
+76|6566
1.  Bush declares war on alien terrorists.
2.  ?????
3.  Earth is destroyed.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6526|South Florida

DrunkFace wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

ummmmm wat?
" to think we will ever have any meaningful communication or contact "

watch the movies " Contact " and " Close Encounters of the Third Kind " and you know what I'm talking about
One can not travel faster then the speed of light. /current scientific knowledge.
Excuse me, but no? That isn't a fact. That's a theory. Personally i don't believe that light is the greatest speed achievable. Not to say i know more than Albert E. but i just don't think light and time have a connection.
15 more years! 15 more years!
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6539|Long Island, New York

Mitch wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

" to think we will ever have any meaningful communication or contact "

watch the movies " Contact " and " Close Encounters of the Third Kind " and you know what I'm talking about
One can not travel faster then the speed of light. /current scientific knowledge.
Excuse me, but no? That isn't a fact. That's a theory. Personally i don't believe that light is the greatest speed achievable. Not to say i know more than Albert E. but i just don't think light and time have a connection.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about right now. And the G-Forces from traveling at that speed would probably pulverize your body, so the technology to do that will not be around until atleast the 3rd millenium.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6344|California

Poseidon wrote:

Mitch wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

I'm pretty sure he's talking about right now. And the G-Forces from traveling at that speed would probably pulverize your body, so the technology to do that will not be around until atleast the 3rd millenium.
Very true. To Mitch, go watch Futurama. It's very.....historical
Scorpion0x17
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)

xBlackPantherx wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Mitch wrote:

No, not very true. G-forces result from acceleration, not velocity. It's perfectly possible to travel at any speed without being pulverized.

That's what relativity is all about.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2008-03-20 22:28:43)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

xBlackPantherx wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

No, not very true. G-forces result from acceleration, not velocity. It's perfectly possible to travel at any speed without being pulverized.

The forces being pressed against your body would kill you, regardless.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)

Poseidon wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

xBlackPantherx wrote:

NOOOO!

What forces?

There are no forces pressing on your body if you are not accelerating.

Think about this:

You're travelling on a train, on a really smooth track, in a perfectly straight line and at a constant speed.
Now, if you throw a ball straight up into the air, will it, from your perspective, go straight up and down or not?

The answer is - It will go straight up and down.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2008-03-20 22:39:01)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

NOOOO!

What forces?

Think about this:

You're travelling on a train, on a really smooth track, in a perfectly straight line and at a constant speed.
Now, if you throw a ball straight up into the air, will it, from your perspective, go straight up and down or not?

Well, I'm no science wiz or anything, but when you're traveling at the speed of light...aren't you accelerating?
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6344|California

Poseidon wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

NOOOO!

What forces?

Think about this:

Well, I'm no science wiz or anything, but when you're traveling at the speed of light...aren't you accelerating?
1) It would take quite a long time to go from a standstill and move along the process of slowly accelerating to the speed of light, at a speed that wont kill you.

2) If you are already moving at the speed of light you arent accelerating unless you can go faster than the speed of light.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)

Poseidon wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

NOOOO!

What forces?

Think about this:

No. Acceleration is change in velocity. Light has a constant velocity. If you are travelling at a constant velocity, you are not accelerating.

It would take quite a long time to go from a standstill and move along the process of slowly accelerating to the speed of light, at a speed that wont kill you.
Correct, but irrelevant - no one said "Accelerating from stand-still to the speed of light in a short amount of time would kill you" they said "travelling at the speed of light would kill you".

One is true, the other isn't.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2008-03-20 22:59:02)

beerface702
+65|6694|las vegas
they better bring bimbos

and quote me on that one!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard