GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6644

Parker wrote:

also, by the time the civil war rolled around, the sharps rifle had an effective KNOWN range of 500 yards.
and even with today's standards, any smart grunt out there will not waste his ammo at an engagement of 500 meters.  You just dont shoot at something that far unless youre a sniper.

take that back.  You have to qualify with the SAW at 500 meters ( i think even farther), but again, thats area supression weapon, not precision.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2008-03-18 15:08:33)

LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6709|Charlie One Alpha

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Parker wrote:

also, by the time the civil war rolled around, the sharps rifle had an effective KNOWN range of 500 yards.
and even with today's standards, any smart grunt out there will not waste his ammo at an engagement of 500 meters.  You just dont shoot at something that far unless youre a sniper.
Yep. 300 meters is a maybe, but anything above 400 is a waste. (That or I'm just really shit, 300 is pretty hard sometimes.)

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

take that back.  You have to qualify with the SAW at 500 meters ( i think even farther), but again, thats area supression weapon, not precision.
Wow, really? The C7 is sighted at 300 meters, and we generally accept the maximum effective range to be about 400 meters. 500 sounds like A LOT.

Last edited by LaidBackNinja (2008-03-18 15:12:16)

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
jimmanycricket
EBC Member
+56|6655|Cambridge, England
Screw 1775, the medieval Britain could have wiped out 100 modern marines. Longbows + Cavalry = win

If they rushed with 1000 odd cavalry they would win straight off.
Lai
+186|6151

Parker wrote:

how many black powder rifles have you shot?
Some,.. but without the powder to be honnest.

Parker wrote:

Means the ball will be slung for at least 500 yards,.. says very little about the accuracy. Civil war is also a little later.

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

during the revolutionary war, flintlock was the way of the day.  Wheel lock was from the century prior and percussion caps werent even invented yet.  Also, the brown bess, the british standard weapon, was a smooth bore.   The kentucky long rifle, wasnt.
Wheel lock was the best actually; but slow, complicated and extremely expensive to manufacture. I think it remained in "use" though as a prestige arm.
daddyofdeath
A REAL Combat Engineer in the house
+187|6253|UK Bradford W,Yorks. Age 27
I can get a 7mil grouping at 300 meters with just iron sights on the l85A2. Damn I wish I was a sniper.
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation

daddyofdeath wrote:

I can get a 7mil grouping at 300 meters with just iron sights on the l85A2. Damn I wish I was a sniper.
What? Seven millimeters? That's insane.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6621|London, England

jimmanycricket wrote:

Screw 1775, the medieval Britain could have wiped out 100 modern marines. Longbows + Cavalry = win

Shit, reminded me of that scene in 300 where the Persians do a huge volley from like, thousands of men armed with bows. They used shields in the film, not sure how Kevlar would respond to that

edit: They wouldn't get the time to group a large group and then launch the arrows, they'd be dead before that.

Last edited by Mek-Izzle (2008-03-18 15:16:55)

daddyofdeath
A REAL Combat Engineer in the house
+187|6253|UK Bradford W,Yorks. Age 27

LaidBackNinja wrote:

daddyofdeath wrote:

Yes, that was my best ever grouping at that range. However weather/visibility was perfect. I come in a steady second in our Regimental shoot. I dropped 2 shots that would have won me a shitload of money!
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

Slower rounds have a tumbling effect on impact don't they? Or I might be getting confused with the AK bullet.
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation

daddyofdeath wrote:

LaidBackNinja wrote:

daddyofdeath wrote:

Yes, that was my best ever grouping at that range. However weather/visibility was perfect. I come in a steady second in our Regimental shoot. I dropped 2 shots that would have won me a shitload of money!
Fuck mate, to be honest I would be glad with a 0.7cm grouping at 100m. I usually get around 3-4 cm.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6644

LaidBackNinja wrote:

Yep. 300 meters is a maybe, but anything above 400 is a waste. (That or I'm just really shit, 300 is pretty hard sometimes.)
youre not shit.  300 is tricky.  USMC qualifies riflemen up to 500, but like you said, no one is going to waste their shot at a target that far

wrote:

Wow, really? The C7 is sighted at 300 meters, and we generally accept the maximum effective range to be about 400 meters. 500 sounds like A LOT.
only one round has to hit the target in order for it to go down.  SAW is meant to keep their heads down, not take em off.
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

LaidBackNinja wrote:

youre not shit.  300 is tricky.  USMC qualifies riflemen up to 500, but like you said, no one is going to waste their shot at a target that far

wrote:

only one round has to hit the target in order for it to go down.  SAW is meant to keep their heads down, not take em off.
Ah, I see.
jimmanycricket
EBC Member
+56|6655|Cambridge, England

Mek-Izzle wrote:

jimmanycricket wrote:

Shit, reminded me of that scene in 300 where the Persians do a huge volley from like, thousands of men armed with bows. They used shields in the film, not sure how Kevlar would respond to that

edit: They wouldn't get the time to group a large group and then launch the arrows, they'd be dead before that.
Remember arrows can go over hills and stuff, bullets can't.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6394|The Gem Saloon

Lai wrote:

Parker wrote:

how many black powder rifles have you shot?
Some,.. but without the powder to be honnest.

Parker wrote:

Means the ball will be slung for at least 500 yards,.. says very little about the accuracy. Civil war is also a little later.

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

during the revolutionary war, flintlock was the way of the day.  Wheel lock was from the century prior and percussion caps werent even invented yet.  Also, the brown bess, the british standard weapon, was a smooth bore.   The kentucky long rifle, wasnt.
Wheel lock was the best actually; but slow, complicated and extremely expensive to manufacture. I think it remained in "use" though as a prestige arm.
well, it sounds like you know the answer to this, so ill stop debating.
but, believe it or not, my ancestor was one of the people that could pull off shots like that, so there isnt going to be a whole lot that can convince me its not possible.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6667

jimmanycricket wrote:

Why not?  Modern bullets just have a longer trajectory.  Fire the same amount of bullets with the same spread as a volley of longbow arrows, with similar effect.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6394|The Gem Saloon

Ilocano wrote:

jimmanycricket wrote:

Why not?  Modern bullets just have a longer trajectory.  Fire the same amount of bullets with the same spread as a volley of longbow arrows, with similar effect.
=mortars.
SamTheMan:D
Banned
+856|5974|England

british army
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6568|Mountains of NC

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Parker wrote:

or a Marine --- we have to rifle qual at 500 during bootcamp and while in service

snipers - 1000 to 1600
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Lai
+186|6151

Mek-Izzle wrote:

Shit, reminded me of that scene in 300 where the Persians do a huge volley from like, thousands of men armed with bows. They used shields in the film, not sure how Kevlar would respond to that.
Pretty well I'd say, since in real life the Immortals' short bows failed to penetrate even the Hoplites' leather cuirasses. The short bow as standard equipement was the Persians' "great advantage" over the Greeks, but the Greeks were too well amoured for the Persians to make any use of it.
Lai
+186|6151

SEREMAKER wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Parker wrote:

or a Marine --- we have to rifle qual at 500 during bootcamp and while in service

snipers - 1000 to 1600
Ho,.. wait!

Don't start mixing up yards and meters!
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

Lai wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

snipers - 1000 to 1600
Ho,.. wait!

Don't start mixing up yards and meters!
I was refering to yards and 500 yards is 457 meters
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6644

SEREMAKER wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Parker wrote:

snipers - 1000 to 1600
but dont lie.  what distance would you say the average target engaged in iraq is?  whats the farthest non sniper shot youve seen or took?  most of our engagements were never farther than 150 meters, out in the boon docks and farm lands.  In baghdad, we would rarely be farther than 100 meters from contact.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum
I've got a 6mm grouping with the l98 at 200m.

Yay for me.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

snipers - 1000 to 1600
but dont lie.  what distance would you say the average target engaged in iraq is?  whats the farthest non sniper shot youve seen or took?  most of our engagements were never farther than 150 meters, out in the boon docks and farm lands.  In baghdad, we would rarely be farther than 100 meters from contact.
for Iraq open lands 100 -150 yards , urban 100 and under .......... my fartherest open sight shot was 850 yards on man target and it was a kill shot
CDK3Y
+25|6139|BEHIND YOU!
[youtube]http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Ugb3fP7Ho[/youtube]

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard