cablecopulate
+449|6742|Massachusetts.
I don't get why they are called fags. Are they called cigarettes on the packaging or do you guys call them something else over there? Where did calling fag come from? is it short for something else?
Ollie
Formerly known as Larkin
+215|5989|Halifax, West Yorkshire
Not sure. Probably has something to do with "faggot" as in a bundle of wood for lighting fires. Maybe not though. Google is your friend I guess.
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6346|Atlanta, Georgia

Ollie wrote:

Not sure. Probably has something to do with "faggot" as in a bundle of wood for lighting fires. Maybe not though. Google is your friend I guess.
Not in this case its not.
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6689|West Yorkshire, U.K
Faggots smoke cigarettes, thats why maybe? I' m not sure
cablecopulate
+449|6742|Massachusetts.
I'm asking here because there's so many Europeans here I'll probably get a better/more accurate/straight from the source answer. Also, faggot is a bundle of wood? I have never heard that in my life.
Ollie
Formerly known as Larkin

NeXuS4909 wrote:

Ollie wrote:

Care to elaborate?
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6689|West Yorkshire, U.K
A faggot is a meatball
Bulldogz
Blacking Out the Friction
+32|6004|Rexburg, Idaho

Ollie wrote:

NeXuS4909 wrote:

Ollie wrote:

Care to elaborate?
Go search "faggot" in google and see what comes up. Then you'll understand. Better yet, do it with image search with the filter off.

cablecopulate wrote:

I'm asking here because there's so many Europeans here I'll probably get a better/more accurate/straight from the source answer. Also, faggot is a bundle of wood? I have never heard that in my life.
Yeah, faggots were bundles of wood long before it was used as a derogatory term for gays.
Rubix-Cubes
+123|6660|UK
Fag-end - last and worst part
A fag or fag-end was the last part of a piece of cloth, made of coarser material and hanging loose (fag in this sense seems to be a corruption of 'flag', meaning 'hang down'), and has long been used metaphorically of the last and poorest part of anything. For example, the stub of a cigar used to be called the fag-end; cheap cigarettes were called fags before the word spread to all cigarettes.
...By the same derivation, a fag-end was also the untwisted end of a rope with the strands hanging loose. It is perhaps from this sense of 'frayed' that we get fagged-out (exhausted), though the more likely explanation goes back to fag=flag=droop.
Ollie
Formerly known as Larkin

Rubix-Cubes wrote:

A fag or fag-end was the last part of a piece of cloth, made of coarser material and hanging loose (fag in this sense seems to be a corruption of 'flag', meaning 'hang down'), and has long been used metaphorically of the last and poorest part of anything. For example, the stub of a cigar used to be called the fag-end; cheap cigarettes were called fags before the word spread to all cigarettes.
...By the same derivation, a fag-end was also the untwisted end of a rope with the strands hanging loose. It is perhaps from this sense of 'frayed' that we get fagged-out (exhausted), though the more likely explanation goes back to fag=flag=droop.
Nice one. Cheers.
cablecopulate
+449|6742|Massachusetts.

Rubix-Cubes wrote:

Man, you guys throw fag around something fierce. Do gays get called fags or is that an American thing?
Rubix-Cubes
+123|6660|UK

cablecopulate wrote:

Rubix-Cubes wrote:

Man, you guys throw fag around something fierce. Do gays get called fags or is that an American thing?
yep they still get called fags lol
KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6457|Cambridge, UK

Rubix-Cubes wrote:

cablecopulate wrote:

Rubix-Cubes wrote:

yep they still get called fags lol
but if its not in context to mean gay it would be assumed to mean a cigarette
cablecopulate
+449|6742|Massachusetts.
So one could say a fag was pole smoking a fag while he smoked a fag. That's deep.
Rubix-Cubes
+123|6660|UK

cablecopulate wrote:

So one could say a fag was pole smoking a fag while he smoked a fag. That's deep.
thats right! also wanna be carful if you go outside for a FAG
CTD-CaptainBuck
BLEEDING BLUE
+71|6772|Tenn
i wish i knew. because its quite awkward.

i gamed with a scottish guy like 4-5 years ago. he came on TS at one point and stated, "MAN! I'm so pissed right now. I could really go for a fag", we fucking lost it. we thot we understood the pissed part(which we didnt) but had no clue, just mere speculation as to how a "fag" could make him not so angry... the next day he explained it then we asked the same cig=fag? question. he didnt have much of a response.

this to me seems like an awkward situation

Guy1: hey you got a fag?
Guy2: yea i have a fag right here
Guy1: this fag is broke.
Guy2: would you like another fag?
Guy1: no, thanks. i think i can fix this fag with a little spit
Guy2: Ok, well let me know if you need another, i have plenty of fags. Just bought a pack.
Guy1: Ok, I'm off with this fag, thanx man
KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6457|Cambridge, UK

Reminds me of a comedy sketch about a Brit going to the US:

Can I have a fag? *thump*

even worse.... we do ask if we can "bum a fag" from people (bum as in homeless, therefore as in beg for a cig)

Can I have a rubber? *thump* (state side eraser)

Can i lay the table?  *mind the knife draw - faint*
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6678|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
Im glad this subject came up because I'm tired of typing "fag" followed by (cigarette). I'm a lazy b'stad and its easier obviously just using the three letters.
CTD-CaptainBuck
BLEEDING BLUE
+71|6772|Tenn

1927 wrote:

Im glad this subject came up because I'm tired of typing "fag" followed by (cigarette). I'm a lazy b'stad and its easier obviously just using the three letters.
maybe try cig? it has no alternate meaning...

Last edited by CTD-CaptainBuck (2008-03-17 17:51:43)

KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6457|Cambridge, UK

CTD-CaptainBuck wrote:

1927 wrote:

maybe try cig? it has no alternate meaning...
lol
Tehremos
Parcel of ol' Crams
+128|6412|Somersetshire
lol, but we don't say cig, what sort of people do you think we are,

to me the word fag in my vocabulary only means cigarette, if i wanted to talk about gay people (male or female) i would say gay, why use another word for that when i can say gay?
cablecopulate
+449|6742|Massachusetts.

Tehremos wrote:

A bunch of savages.
Tehremos
Parcel of ol' Crams
+128|6412|Somersetshire

cablecopulate wrote:

Tehremos wrote:

A bunch of savages.
well, i do live in somerset, we aren't too civilised here lol, just a bunch a farmers saying "ooo arr"
RedTwizzler
I do it for the lulz.
+124|6542|Chicago
All I can say is that the last time I lit up a fag, it was called a hate crime.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5966|Washington DC
Some people enjoy inhaling the tar from a nice long full-flavored fag.

LOLOLOL.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard