IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6743|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
Primary school children should be eligible for the DNA database if they exhibit behaviour indicating they may become criminals in later life, according to Britain's most senior police forensics expert.  discuss.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/ … e.children
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6567|England

The whole country should be one it. Got nothing to hide, whats the problem? Social & human rights? Well, seeing as there are already databases with peoples addresses, national insurance numbers, etc, etc, what harm is a bit of DNA going to do? None, thats what.

At the end of the day, we all want to eradicate crime but demand on not giving the services the help they need to bring that crime rate right down? Its fucking diabolical.
If this was in place, then at the scene of any crime, they can immediately link up, using DNA matches, who was at the crime scene. Provide an alibi, you are fine. They could identify suspects in a matter of days. If there is ever another serial killer like Jack the Ripper or Fred West (god forbid), people would want that shit sorted as soon as possible. But if the person has never been arrested before, theres less chance of catching them (look at those two cases, ok in the past, but the point still stands)...you could identify suspects right away, and boom, you have your "lineup".
It would also act as a deterrant against crime, if you can be identified that easily, and we would see a lot less petty crime.

People just like to make a fuss for fucking no reason.

Last edited by Snake (2008-03-16 07:06:09)

IRONCHEF
+385|6492|Northern California
Nobody should EVER be able to collect, monitor, track, share, or use my DNA against me or invade my privacy.  We're not in a Gattaca age yet and I will fight tooth and nail to avoid being in it.
Balok77
+28|6149

IRONCHEF wrote:

Nobody should EVER be able to collect, monitor, track, share, or use my DNA against me or invade my privacy.  We're not in a Gattaca age yet and I will fight tooth and nail to avoid being in it.
why thought, if your not going to commit a crime then whats the problem. I mean a few rights are worth breaking to have a safer country.

Last edited by Balok77 (2008-03-16 08:18:37)

Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6567|England

IRONCHEF wrote:

They do with telephone numbers, postal addresses, fax numbers, emails. Where do you think all the junk mail comes from.
Whats the difference?
jord
+2,382|6679|The North, beyond the wall.
To be honest I don't want it to happen and my family been the victims of the worst crime there is.

I don't know if that's makes me a hypocrite or whatever. But whatever shred of privacy I have left I want to keep.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina

Snake wrote:

The whole country should be one it. Got nothing to hide, whats the problem? Social & human rights? Well, seeing as there are already databases with peoples addresses, national insurance numbers, etc, etc, what harm is a bit of DNA going to do? None, thats what.

At the end of the day, we all want to eradicate crime but demand on not giving the services the help they need to bring that crime rate right down? Its fucking diabolical.
If this was in place, then at the scene of any crime, they can immediately link up, using DNA matches, who was at the crime scene. Provide an alibi, you are fine. They could identify suspects in a matter of days. If there is ever another serial killer like Jack the Ripper or Fred West (god forbid), people would want that shit sorted as soon as possible. But if the person has never been arrested before, theres less chance of catching them (look at those two cases, ok in the past, but the point still stands)...you could identify suspects right away, and boom, you have your "lineup".
It would also act as a deterrant against crime, if you can be identified that easily, and we would see a lot less petty crime.

It sounds to me that you now understand the principle of why the Patriot Act is necessary in America.
Turquoise
O Canada

Balok77 wrote:

IRONCHEF wrote:

why thought, if your not going to commit a crime then whats the problem. I mean a few rights are worth breaking to have a safer country.
I would argue we already live in a Gattaca age.  I'd say we've been living in it since about the 1980s.  There's really no use in fighting it.  If someone wants to find you or frame you, they will.  We might as well have the databases for security, as Balok suggested.

Currently, we just have companies data mining us for less than secure reasons (hence the prevalence of identity theft these days).
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6767|UK

Snake wrote:

While we are at why dont we make it incredibly easy to frame someone with so called indisputable DNA evidence.
Turquoise
O Canada
Framing people is actually pretty easy today already.  Granted, DNA does make it more compelling.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command
We have to have fool proof national ID so we can purge our nation of illegal aliens. It seems some sort of bio identifiers will be required.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6571|Portland, OR, USA
Yep, because the world works just like CSI.... Criminals leave semen everywhere

Sorry dude.  Doesn't work like that.

I'm all for smaller government, fuckers don't need my DNA, iris scans or an RFID chip in my arm.  I'll give them my finger print only if I break the law.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command

CommieChipmunk wrote:

I'm all for smaller government, fuckers don't need my DNA, iris scans or an RFID chip in my arm.  I'll give them my finger print only if I break the law.
Sure. When you can't have a bank account because you are not complying with ID requirements we'll talk.

They can get dna from your toothbrush, from your eyelashes, skin flakes on your bed sheet or from a spoon you've eaten from.
CommieChipmunk

ATG wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Sure. When you can't have a bank account because you are not complying with ID requirements we'll talk.

They can get dna from your toothbrush, from your eyelashes, skin flakes on your bed sheet or from a spoon you've eaten from.
But criminals generally don't brush their teeth before they leave the house of the person that they just murdered.  And good luck finding eye lashes, and if DNA was collected, that would just make criminals more careful....
Turquoise
O Canada

CommieChipmunk wrote:

In principle, I agree with the idea of smaller government, but it seems like the more you look into it, the more you realize that we don't necessarily have a choice in shrinking certain aspects of government.   The powers that be are pushing for things like DNA databases, and like they almost always do, they will get what they want eventually.

All that seems to matter in the long run is that these sort of things are made public.  I figure they may already have a limited database on non-felons, so why not just create a situation where they have to be upfront about collecting our data?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645
so many people here without social security numbers or credit cards or cell phones.
CommieChipmunk

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

so many people here without social security numbers or credit cards or cell phones.
Numbers are so much different than the biological codes that make you who you are.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6539|Long Island, New York
Reminds me of:

https://www.personal.psu.edu/users/z/x/zxz127/movies/gattaca.jpg

Good movie, tbh.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645
in 2008, a number makes you who you are.  cell phones get tracked even when theyre off.  credit is really the only way to survive in this economy.  you are an illegal immigrant if you dont have a SS#
Turquoise
O Canada

CommieChipmunk wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Numbers are so much different than the biological codes that make you who you are.
Well yes..  that's kind of the point.  Because the current system is easy to forge, identity theft is easy.  It's much harder to forge biometric data.

The more complete the data is, the harder it is to impersonate someone.
CommieChipmunk

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

in 2008, a number makes you who you are.  cell phones get tracked even when theyre off.  credit is really the only way to survive in this economy.  you are an illegal immigrant if you dont have a SS#
Okay, then they don't need my dna.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645
really doesnt make a difference.  same as a fingerprint.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2008-03-16 11:14:03)

Turquoise
O Canada

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

really doesnt make a difference.  same as a fingerprint.
Biometrics would definitely make a difference.  If you have to look into a retinal scanner to identify yourself, then it's far less likely that someone can impersonate someone else.  The same goes for DNA samples or fingerprints.
CommieChipmunk
Fair enough, if you want to give up your DNA, I'm sure as hell not going to stop you.

But I have done nothing to warrant the databasing of my genetic codes, so until then, I'm not giving it up
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645
difference in the way things are in society.  I think its stupid when Im reading all this "Not my DNA!!!" shit when everyone here is already grabbed by the nuts with other things.

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Fair enough, if you want to give up your DNA, I'm sure as hell not going to stop you.

But I have done nothing to warrant the databasing of my genetic codes, so until then, I'm not giving it up
my DNA is already in a database.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2008-03-16 11:17:41)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard