Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6501|Gogledd Cymru

Nothing atm, read every book on my book shelve cabinet thingy (around 500 or so) atleast twice, favourites include Harry Potter series, various Andy McNab(b) and Chris Ryan books.
reaper_654
confused??
+36|6308|ohio,USA
books?
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6608|Michigan, USA
Currently reading the first Colonization, the continuation of the World War series by Harry Turtledove, incredible series and author.

Next book Ive yet to read is Larry Bonds "Fires of War"

Should read more then I do, but alas I dont, used to read a ton during school, but college just doesnt give me the free time.
MetaL*
Banned
+188|6169|Anaheim, Mexifornia
I Am America (And So Can You!)
madmax
+12|6273|perth, w.a.
the dune saga
herrr_smity
+156|6639|space command ur anus
i read a magazine once, it was playboy does it count
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6482

ATG wrote:

pick up The Stand by Stephen King

best novel in modern history imo, and just pure unadulterated genius. It's a profound story involving God, the devil and the last few thousand survivors of a epic plaque.
Ugh, giving Stephen King the accolade of 'author of best novel in modern history' is a disgusting blasphemy.

'Ulysses' by James Joyce. Game over to Stephen King.

@ Zimmer: You perplex me. How can somebody with such an (apparent) appreciation for literature discard Aldous Huxley and George Orwell in one sweeping statement . George Orwell's works are all gold classics, and his skill as a novelist and writer are almost unparalleled in the realms of British writers. Although he is only known for his political allegories (1984, Animal Farm)- his other more 'discreetly' political novels are also brilliance. Burmese Days is one such novel that deals with Orwell's thoughts on British Imperialism in the days of 'The Raj'. He also has some brilliant novels on other areas of modern society; Keep The Aspidistra Flying dealing with materialism, and Coming Up For Air marvelously illustrating the essence of a 'mid-life crisis' as it narrates its way through a man's lost youth and his suburban worries.

Brave New World by Huxley is another novel that demands respect and appreciation. I suggest you re-read it .
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6768|Scotland

You misread me. I never said any of those books didn't deserve respect and appreciation, I was just not entirely thrown over by the claims that were made in Brave New World or Animal Farm.

Both authors are brilliant and their style is unique and I could appreciate the novels themselves and ask myself questions about them. But choosing that over a funny Nick Hornby novel is not going to happen when I am tired and want something interesting to read.

They aren't a drudge to read, but they aren't exactly the nicest to read either. Everyone claims them as classics, which of course they are, but saying that you enjoying what was in the book is another thing. The symbolism, themes and ideas of the novels themselves are excellent, but when I want to lie down and read something, they will not be my first pick.

I have read Brave New World 3 times and Animal Farm 2. I understand every single nitty picky detail of the books and appreciate the points they are making. I never for once brushed them aside.
jrav091
+8|5987|Northeast, USA
can anyone here think of a good thesis for Animal Farm?
SamTheMan:D
Banned
+856|5986|England

dont read tbh

bores the hell out of me
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6323

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King. I saw the movie so I decided to see how the book compared.

Last edited by ebug9 (2008-03-16 15:08:49)

Ryan
+1,230|6855|Alberta, Canada

Fifteen Days by Christie Blatchford
Sgt.Davi
Touches Himself At Night.
+300|6655|England
Citizen Soldiers - Stephen Ambrose
Runs_with_sciss0rs
Well butter my buscuit
+121|6203|14072
I just finished Wizards First Rule by Terry Goodkind. I'm planning on reading the 2nd one when I get it.
Ganko_06
Laughter with an S
+167|6656|Camoran's Paradise
On Combat
The Face of Battle
The Art of War/Machiavelli/Frederick the Great
I Am America and So Can You
Ryan
+1,230|6855|Alberta, Canada

SamTheMan:D wrote:

dont read tbh

bores the hell out of me
That's why you're lacking development up there...

Don't worry, I hate reading too. I have to read a book for English class.
CanadianLoser
Meow :3 :3
+1,148|6519
-An Inconvenient Book by Glenn Beck

-I am America (And So Can You) by Stephen Colbert

-A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6721|Charlie One Alpha

ATG wrote:

Duma Key by Stephen King.
From a Buick 8 here. I wuv me some Stephen King. Did you hear there's gonna be a Dark Tower movie? I hope they don't mess it up
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
Bert10099
[]D [] []\/[] []D
+177|6752|United States
Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6323

I forgot to add...the Darwin Awards
Reciprocity
+721|6592|the dank(super) side of Oregon
Duma Key
c14u53w172
+31|6010|tomania
divina commedia
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6459|Boulder, CO

r2zoo wrote:

Currently reading the first Colonization, the continuation of the World War series by Harry Turtledove, incredible series and author.

Next book Ive yet to read is Larry Bonds "Fires of War"

Should read more then I do, but alas I dont, used to read a ton during school, but college just doesnt give me the free time.
ye, turtledoves books are awesome, I think I'm just missing the last book in the world war series.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6491|Somewhere else

Gonzo-  The Life of Hunter S. Thompson

Under and Alone (again)
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6841|Denver colorado
The paradox of satisfaction
Blink (the power of subconscious thinking)

and I'm supposed to be reading the house of the spirits for school but I hate reading about the human condition in general. Theres nothing to be gained by reading those things.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard