SealXo
+309|6542
UPDATE : I managed to run it long enough to get into my bios and it told me my CPU TEMP was 201F and the CPU fan speed is 3843 RPM speed of the system fan was 2730rpm 

I cleaned my heatsinks and fans out before I got my new powersupply
AHHH
WHY IS IT SO HOT AFTER ONLY LIKE 5  minutes running?!?!?!?!?!!?
alright well i had my problem wiht my computer shutting off, then my power supply broke. So i got a new one, and now that its in, it still starts up for a little while and then shuts off after like 15 seconds.....

The problems started before i got the new ram and power supply, so its not that. And i put new thermal paste on because that was pretty old

its a hp
i just got 2gb ram
500 watt themaltake power supply brand new
300gb hdd
3.0 pentium D
x600 256mb

Last edited by SealXo (2008-03-12 15:40:49)

DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6470|cuntshitlake

What psu did you have and what psu did you get. Model and wattage please.

Also system specs.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
SealXo
+309|6542

DeathUnlimited wrote:

What psu did you have and what psu did you get. Model and wattage please.

Also system specs.
updated
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6400|The Gem Saloon
did the problems start when you got the new ram?
SealXo
+309|6542

Parker wrote:

did the problems start when you got the new ram?
No . When i had the old ram
DUnlimited
+1,160|6470|cuntshitlake

Did you plug in the 4/8 pin power connector next to CPU?

Last edited by DeathUnlimited (2008-03-12 13:49:31)

alexb
<3
+590|5946|Kentucky, USA

Try switching the RAM into other modules?
SealXo
+309|6542

DeathUnlimited wrote:

Yes, it goes to the boot screen, (HP thing) then shuts off
smartdude992
Keep your head down, smart's got a gun
+30|5938|Georgia, US of A
could be that you have something in a pci slot that is not connected to power, such as my 7800gs...not to be wayy to specific in my example, but i had a similar problem when i switched out my first fried board
DUnlimited
+1,160|6470|cuntshitlake

SealXo wrote:

DeathUnlimited wrote:

Sounds to me that you have something unplugged. Either the Craphic Card 6-pin power connector or the CPU 4-pin connector
SealXo
+309|6542

DeathUnlimited wrote:

SealXo wrote:

DeathUnlimited wrote:

Sounds to me that you have something unplugged. Either the Craphic Card 6-pin power connector or the CPU 4-pin connector
gfx card has no plug
and the cpu 4 pin is in.everythings plugged in.

it was working fine and then all the sudden this started happening, first it would be 30 minutes then 20 then 10 then 5 then now half a minute.
and it cant be the hard drive like a virus because if i take the Sata out it still shuts off

Last edited by SealXo (2008-03-12 14:01:32)

Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6203|Winland

Sounds like a blown capacitor. Being a P-D, which is a power-hungry beast that can put quite a lot of strain on them, you should check for any leakage. If any of them is leaking, you have to replace the motherboard. (A capacitor is one of thosetube things found all over on a motherboard)
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
smartdude992
it might be something running at too high a temp or a sensor that isn't plugged in, check your cpu temp sensor on the heatsink
smartdude992

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Sounds like a blown capacitor. Being a P-D, which is a power-hungry beast that can put quite a lot of strain on them, you should check for any leakage. If any of them is leaking, you have to replace the motherboard. (A capacitor is one of thosetube things found all over on a motherboard)
that was my next thing, fried board.  they are pretty sensitive, i was taking my computer..baby...out of standby once and i managed to send a static shock between my finger and the power button and it killed the board...
SealXo
+309|6542

smartdude992 wrote:

it might be something running at too high a temp or a sensor that isn't plugged in, check your cpu temp sensor on the heatsink
This is when i havnt used the pc overnight so i dont see how it could overheat within 15 seconds
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6400|The Gem Saloon

Freezer7Pro wrote:

(A capacitor is one of thosetube things found all over on a motherboard)
the best way to figure out if they are working is to poke at them with a screwdriver

ok, no dont do that.
smartdude992

SealXo wrote:

smartdude992 wrote:

This is when i havnt used the pc overnight so i dont see how it could overheat within 15 seconds
if the temp sensor isn't plugged in it can, some mother boards are picky, because they will crash you if you overheat, and to be able to do that you need to have temp sensors, so check that your cpu is correctly seated and all cords are plugged in.  you could have knocked something out doing the thermal paste
SealXo
+309|6542

smartdude992 wrote:

SealXo wrote:

smartdude992 wrote:

if the temp sensor isn't plugged in it can, some mother boards are picky, because they will crash you if you overheat, and to be able to do that you need to have temp sensors, so check that your cpu is correctly seated and all cords are plugged in.  you could have knocked something out doing the thermal paste
It was busted before the thermal paste
It just stopped working before i opened it up
SealXo
+309|6542
Updated With New Info Please Try To Help
I really dont want to have to buy a new pc

Last edited by SealXo (2008-03-12 15:38:18)

smartdude992
what kind of heat sink are you using?? if its not a Zalman's 9700 (i think that's it), then why not, you need one of those to be teh sex

Last edited by smartdude992 (2008-03-12 15:40:24)

SealXo
+309|6542

smartdude992 wrote:

what kind of heat sink are you using?? if its not a Zalman's 9700 (i think that's it), then why not, you need one of those to be teh sex
I think 201F is beyond a heatsink problem the heatsink is running as it used to
Its just the stock HP one but it looks pretty good and its pretty large.
DUnlimited
+1,160|6470|cuntshitlake

First check if the fan really is running (bios might show corrupt info). If not, then your heatsink is probably detached in some way.

Open the computer up (when switched off and cord unplugged of course) and take off the heatsink from the CPU.
Clear all thermal paste from the cpu core and the heatsink.
Apply new Thermal paste (if you don't have, get some. It's cheap.).
Attach the heatsink again.
SealXo
+309|6542

DeathUnlimited wrote:

First check if the fan really is running (bios might show corrupt info). If not, then your heatsink is probably detached in some way.

Open the computer up (when switched off and cord unplugged of course) and take off the heatsink from the CPU.
Clear all thermal paste from the cpu core and the heatsink.
Apply new Thermal paste (if you don't have, get some. It's cheap.).
Attach the heatsink again.
I just took off the old paste and applied new paste right before i got the new PS unit.

I took off the heatsink and blew out the dust
and yes all my fans are working,
smartdude992
it may be that your voltage is not being divided properly and thus sending too much to the cpu, in essence overclocking it like nobody's business and making your computer run wayyy too hot.  how did you get the old thermal paste off?
SealXo
+309|6542

smartdude992 wrote:

it may be that your voltage is not being divided properly and thus sending too much to the cpu, in essence overclocking it like nobody's business and making your computer run wayyy too hot.  how did you get the old thermal paste off?
i just used teh card it came with and used my nail a bit.
And the problem was before i even reapplied the paste
and the problem is from the old power supply
which worked fine for years

and now i have a new one i doubt they are both doing it

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard