Poll

Would You Give Up Your Rights and Civil Liberties for Your Country?

Yes, my country comes first4%4% - 4
Only if there's a real threat to my country13%13% - 13
It depends on what rights and civil liberties (explain)16%16% - 16
Never, I come first23%23% - 23
If my country asked me to do that then fuck my country42%42% - 41
Total: 97
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6534|Texas - Bigger than France
A little too broad.

All laws infringe on personal rights and freedoms to some degree.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6638
Every law is you giving up your rights.

Last edited by Ajax_the_Great1 (2008-03-05 16:14:58)

IRONCHEF
+385|6483|Northern California

Pug wrote:

A little too broad.

All laws infringe on personal rights and freedoms to some degree.
Ok, now your reply is a little too broad.  Civil liberties and laws are not the same thing.  The law preventing you from parking more than 18" from a curb is not violating any civil liberties or any rights.  Murdering is not a civil liberty or right in any way shape or form.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6821|Grapevine, TX
Nope, not in this life time. I'd say the same thing if I was a citizen of any country.

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

Every law is you giving up your rights.
If there were no laws you would have no rights.

Last edited by (T)eflon(S)hadow (2008-03-05 16:45:17)

RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6706|US

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

It really depends on what you're talking about here. Which rights, and to do what? Understandable if you're giving up some personal freedoms to voluntarily serve in the military, absurd if you're abandoning privacy or the ability to defend yourself for 'enhanced security.'
QFT!

I was about to say that.
Voluntarily sacrificing some liberty for the good of others (i.e. military/civil service), I can agree with...otherwise, no.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

sergeriver wrote:

Would you or not?  Which rights and civil liberties would you give up?  If so in which situations?
Nope, which is why none have been taken from us to date. If you think so, please list them
Ryan
+1,230|6835|Alberta, Canada

If my country asked me to give up my rights, it wouldn't be a capitalist society. We would be stripped of our freedom.
It would begin to turn into a dictatorship and I would not like that.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6638
Our rights and civil liberties are only what we say they are. Slavery used to be considered a right.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6833|Cologne, Germany

usmarine wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

why do I get the feeling that some people are always creating retaliatory threads or concentrate on certain topics ?
you only close the other ones anyway
well, you know where the report button is, I suppose.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6833|Cologne, Germany

sergeriver wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

why do I get the feeling that some people are always creating retaliatory threads or concentrate on certain topics ?
Uhhh?
well, tbh, I was having the impression that you created this thread specifically as a response to this thread http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=95115&p=1

But I may be wrong, of course. Who am I to second-guess the motivations of certain people here ?
However, when loooking at the thread history here in D&ST in the last couple of weeks/months, I personally think it is pretty obvious that there is a tendency to try to "get back" at some people through the creation of specific topics.

Wether that is the result of a deliberate strategy, or simply a natural result of the nature of the topics that we discuss, is for everyone to decide, I guess. I was merely stating an impression of mine.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

lowing wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Would you or not?  Which rights and civil liberties would you give up?  If so in which situations?
Nope, which is why none have been taken from us to date. If you think so, please list them
Where in THIS thread did I say anything about that?
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

B.Schuss wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

Uhhh?
well, tbh, I was having the impression that you created this thread specifically as a response to this thread http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=95115&p=1

But I may be wrong, of course. Who am I to second-guess the motivations of certain people here ?
However, when loooking at the thread history here in D&ST in the last couple of weeks/months, I personally think it is pretty obvious that there is a tendency to try to "get back" at some people through the creation of specific topics.

Wether that is the result of a deliberate strategy, or simply a natural result of the nature of the topics that we discuss, is for everyone to decide, I guess. I was merely stating an impression of mine.
I won't tell I never started a retaliatory thread, but this is not the case.  That thread you are talking about is Turquoise's and I agree with him in almost everything.  I like to make retaliatory threads for Lowing, just for fun.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

sergeriver wrote:

lowing wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Where in THIS thread did I say anything about that?
LOL.......In THIS thread, nowhere
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

sergeriver wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Uhhh?

I won't tell I never started a retaliatory thread, but this is not the case.  That thread you are talking about is Turquoise's and I agree with him in almost everything.  I like to make retaliatory threads for Lowing, just for fun.
Yes, I am his karma builder,

If not for my existence Serge would have about 53 karma points

Last edited by lowing (2008-03-06 03:34:58)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

lowing wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

Yes, I am his karma builder,

If not for my existence Serge would have about 53 karma points
True.
FallenMorgan
+53|5906|Glendale, CA

Parker wrote:

if they asked, it would be time to utilize the second amendment.
Yes.  It's the un-free countries that have rebels and terror bombings.  Quite frankly I'll go rambo if America attempts to take away MY FUCKING RIGHTS TO SAY MY FUCKING RIGHTS.  lol.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina
The flaw in this thread's theme is that we usually don't have a choice in the matter when a government decides to take away our rights.

A better question is probably: Would you revolt against the government if they took away your rights?

My answer would probably be, "No, I'd do everything possible to flee the country."
Chou
+737|6782

Turquoise wrote:

The flaw in this thread's theme is that we usually don't have a choice in the matter when a government decides to take away our rights.

A better question is probably: Would you revolt against the government if they took away your rights?

My answer would probably be, "No, I'd do everything possible to flee the country."
But where-ever you go, same shit, different place.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina

Chou wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

But where-ever you go, same shit, different place.
Um...  if that were the case, no one would get on rafts to float from Cuba to America.
imortal
+240|6656|Austin, TX
Well, I love responding with quotes from the past.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

"In the end they will lay their freedom at our feet and say to us, 'Make us your slaves, but feed us.'" [Dosteovsky's 'Grand Inquisitor']

"We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans ..." [President Bill Clinton, 'USA Today' March 11, 1993: Page 2A]
CommieChipmunk
+488|6561|Portland, OR, USA

CloakedStarship wrote:

Civil liberties are a luxury, I would gladly give them up for no particular reason.
...damn shame, that's the most unAmerican thing that I've ever read.

usmarine wrote:

ReTox wrote:

usmarine wrote:

oh jesus
Don't Like Ben Franklin?
dont like people who owned slaves talking about liberty and freedom.  makes me sick when people quote these guys.
That quote has been attributed to Ben, but he never said it.  It was a huge stretch off of what he really said.

... and you don't count, you'd give up your civil liberties for a chocolate chip cookie
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6753

CommieChipmunk wrote:

... and you don't count, you'd give up your civil liberties for a chocolate chip cookie
...and you would not give them up until some akmed blows up your local mall.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6561|Portland, OR, USA
which is worse?
XanKrieger
iLurk
+60|6650|South West England
Revolution...

Sounds awefully tempting in that instance
But then let's face it, a Revolution in England as a result of our freedoms being taken from us is HIGHLY unlikely, due to the general IQ of the latest generation and the inability and lack of impact the middle class have on what is done on a governmental level.

Last edited by XanKrieger (2008-03-09 17:00:37)

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6282|Éire
Nope.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard