Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

Shadow893 wrote:

I have 2meg with virgin and my pings with british servers can be as low as 10, so i'm pretty happy with them. download speeds are about 200 on average. why would you say not to go with them?

Bertster7 wrote:

sinnik wrote:

I'd recommend finding out how close you are to your exchange - If it's close by then any ISP would be o.k (I live less than 10 mins walk away and get about 6Mbits on average) If the exchange is quite far away then go for someone like Be or virgin as I'm pretty sure they both use cable so you get a lot less degradation and faster speeds.
To give you an idea me and two friends use the cheap Orange service that comes with our mobile contracts. One mate lives about 10 mins further from the exchange and he gets about 0.5-1 Mbit less than me and the other friend live quite far away from his exchange and only gets about 2Mbits so the distance does make a huge difference.

@ Bullit - we are all on that 8Meg package with orange - They're OK but be prepared to spend quite a bit of time on phone to REALLY sucky foreign support team to get the best from them. I had to complain about 6 times about low speed (1.5 - 4 Mbit) before they got their finger out and got things sorted..
Mostlytrue.
fixed4u
No, not fixed, broken.

It's mostly complete nonsense.

I'd recommend finding out how close you are to your exchange - If it's close by then any ISP would be o.k
Bollocks.
In urban areas where telephone exchanges are very close together you need to worry about all the things they don't actually tell you. Contention starts to play a big part too.

If the exchange is quite far away then go for someone like Be or virgin as I'm pretty sure they both use cable so you get a lot less degradation and faster speeds.
Bollocks.

Virgin use either fibre or (much more often) ADSL2+. Be use ADSL2+. Any connection running over an analog line will lose performance over distance. The amount lost will depend upon the quality of the line. Using Be, for example, would not help if you were a long way from you exchange as due to the way ADSL2+ works, speed will drop faster over greater distances - Be would be a good choice despite that due to the sheer number of unbundled exchanges they now own.

To give you an idea me and two friends use the cheap Orange service that comes with our mobile contracts. One mate lives about 10 mins further from the exchange and he gets about 0.5-1 Mbit less than me and the other friend live quite far away from his exchange and only gets about 2Mbits so the distance does make a huge difference.
Not bollocks. Obviously speed drops over distance on analog lines. By the sounds of things the line quality round there is terrible.
stunt-shepherd
howay-the-lads
+8|6264
i am with nildram and have not had a problem for the two years i have been with them.i have the 2 meg connection and get 200 dowlaod  and my pings are about 40 .
sinnik
+16|5999|@defamations pad taking notes.
I think me and berster7 at least agree on one thing, the best to go for would probably be either Virgin or Be.
My personal preference would be for Be as I've heard a few bad things about virgins tech and customer support, but that's pretty par for the course with any big ISP these days.
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6448|Boulder, CO
Just for the record I think I may have found out whats wrong with my internet to cause it to have such a bad ping, they've put us a sever thats about 300 miles away.

I think this is whats causing such bad ping (400+) but can someone just tell me whether it would cause this before I go off and rip virgin a new one.
sinnik
+16|5999|@defamations pad taking notes.
Can I ask how you found out how you found out where your exchange is? It's just that 300 miles is a huge distance to be away from an exchange in the uk. If thats right then yes without a shadow of a doubt i'd be going nuclear on their asses

Might be worth trying something like the link below if you haven't already

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/distance.php
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

For those of you in the UK using one of the big ISP's, you may want to look at this.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/25 … vertising/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/29/phorm_roundup/

http://www.badphorm.co.uk

I'm going to be going with a small ISP. BadPhorm have a list of decent ones on their website.
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6448|Boulder, CO

sinnik wrote:

Can I ask how you found out how you found out where your exchange is? It's just that 300 miles is a huge distance to be away from an exchange in the uk. If thats right then yes without a shadow of a doubt i'd be going nuclear on their asses

Might be worth trying something like the link below if you haven't already

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/distance.php
That just tells you where the local exchange is which is about 1 kilometer away, the server I am on is apparently in aylesbury when i live in blackpool, this is according to several websites that trace the ISP, in this case http://whatismyipaddress.com/ . thats apparently my IP addresses location.

Does this mean they've fooked me or did i just make another standard mistake.

EDIT: For a comparison my mates was in chorley and he lives in the same town as me and has a sensible ping, chorley's about 30 miles away.

As well as that speetest.net actually shows where your ip is and shows me in the aylesbury area whilst if i do it at 6th form or before the internet went to shit then it was accurate to within about 3 miles of my house.

Last edited by Noobeater (2008-03-02 14:02:36)

Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6440|King Of The Islands

Its as if you are connected to the wrong POP (basically the gateway to the internats).

Over here we have a no frills ISP, Exetel, and it didn't have a POP in Melbourne, so we were connected to the POP in Sydney. If we were connecting to a server down the road, you had to go through the POP, and double back to the server down the road. 800km round trip.

By "we" I mean my cheapskate friends. I'll keep my 17ms ping tyvm.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6448|Boulder, CO
Ye so the extra distance the data packets have to travel is causing the extra latency, I thought it was but I just wanted some confirmation before i ripped the virgin reps heart out and ate it.
bullit
Tank Troll
+71|6691|London, UK
I was reading the sunday times today and to be specific the little magazine 'Gear' and it said that Virgin media is the best 4/5 star I was pretty impressed and orange got a 1/5 lol....
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6744|London

Shadow893 wrote:

I have 2meg with virgin and my pings with british servers can be as low as 10, so i'm pretty happy with them. download speeds are about 200 on average. why would you say not to go with them?
Because that's a decrease in speed of 1300KBps?
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6501|so randum

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

BT

Never had a problem with them that wasn't sorted out very quickly (and then it was only the one time just after we got upgraded to 8mb).
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

Dauntless wrote:

Shadow893 wrote:

What?

Stop being silly. A decrease in speed of 1300KBps on a 2 Meg connection would be -1050KBps. A 2Mb connection only has a total bandwidth of 250KBps, so downloading at 200KBps on that is pretty decent.
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6752

FatherTed wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

BT

Never had a problem with them that wasn't sorted out very quickly (and then it was only the one time just after we got upgraded to 8mb).
I am with BT now and only ever had a couple of problems with my broadband in a year. Both times my speed has dropped from 5000kbps to about 150 kbps.

First time i was on the phone for a about 30 mins while the guy on the other end had me make checks with my hardware, software, BT homehub, ADSL filter and phone socket. I knew that it was nothing to do with my setup, but he made me go through all this shit. He even remotely accessed my computer and fucking deleted all my cookies (the bastard). Nothing worked though, but surprisingly the next day the connection was back at the normal speed.
Second time i told them that it was not my set up, no one got back to me. Then a couple of days later it was working fine again without an explanation for what went wrong.

If it happens again though I will be kicking up some serious fuss as this is not acceptable not to be told why this has happened.

my connection package is the 8mb, line capable of 6500kbps they tell me and i usually get about 5000kbps
robcr9
+111|5982
With BeThere , is there a way to find out what Dl speed you would actually get like on BT, you can put your Postcode in and it will tell you the speed that you would get at maximum. would be nice to find out before i get it.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6744|London

Bertster7 wrote:

Dauntless wrote:

Shadow893 wrote:

What?

Stop being silly. A decrease in speed of 1300KBps on a 2 Meg connection would be -1050KBps. A 2Mb connection only has a total bandwidth of 250KBps, so downloading at 200KBps on that is pretty decent.
I think you've totally forgotten about the OP.

As I said, I want something that is at least as fast or better than my current connection.
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard