Dsp-CS-
Claymore magnet
+98|6706|Alaska
I am preparing for the SAT, and one of my friends that took it told me a question from the essay part.
And i just wanted to prepare myself for it.

I want to see what certain points people have on this question.

Is it worth having a goal if you might not able to reach it?
Undetected_Killer
Le fuck?
+98|6286|FIYAH FIYAH FIYAAAAAAH

Dsp-CS- wrote:

I am preparing for the SAT, and one of my friends that took it told me a question from the essay part.
And i just wanted to prepare myself for it.

I want to see what certain points people have on this question.

Is it worth having a goal if you might not able to reach it?
Absolutely. Without a goal, what is life but existence? Goals give your life meaning, and you might be able to reach those goals.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6766|Cambridge (UK)
I say no. Whilst Killer is right in that goals give life meaning, those goals do need to be realistically achievable.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina
I think the question would be more clear if it asked if it was ok to have ideals you can't reach.

Generally speaking, ideals are goals you can't reach.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6570|Portland, OR, USA
You're going to get a different essay
w0ls0n
+16|6547|Maine
CommieChipmunk is right
Dsp-CS-
Claymore magnet
+98|6706|Alaska
Im not sure. Everyone that ive talked to took it with that same question.

My brother who graduated in 05 had the same question on his test
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6336|Oregon
Should we have these goals? Yes, because it's important to shoot high and be optimistic... but is it worth it to have unattainable goals? You first have to define what qualifies "worth" in terms of the question.

If we're taking a strict look at it, we could qualify "worth" as pain endured possessing such a fantasy, to pleasure gained from chasing the unattainable dream.
If you "might not be able to reach it," then there is a chance that you could spend your life in pursuit of this goal, and it could eventually lead to ruin; however, this goal may also be understandably far fetched.

For my example, I will break away from being intellectual (read: bull-shitty), and we're gonna talk about SEX.
If it is a goal of mine to find a girlfriend of Jessica Alba-esque beauty and Ivy-League intelligence, then I have set an understandably high bar for myself. And while my expectations are irrationally high - seeing as I'm neither stunningly attractive nor a genius - this "goal" may also be a fantasy. If I spend my time in pursuit of this, and if I allow myself to be disappointed in any woman who is "less" than the one described above, then I am most likely destined for a lifetime of loneliness. But, if I realize the improbability of such a mate, and rather allow myself to open up to love from anyone, regardless of their looks and intelligence, I could very well find the love of my life... even if that "perfect" girl is still a "goal" of mine.

For this second example, I will relate the question to MONEY.
If it is a "goal" of mine to accumulate enough money to retire at 50, with enough money to travel, support my grandkids, and buy some luxuries... and I hold myself to the pursuit of this "goal," then I will more than likely make enough money to support myself at least, and have a fairly comfortable retirement.
Now, if I can be happy that way, then although the goal was not achieved, it was certainly "worth" it.

And now, the most simple example yet... this one relating to OUTER SPACE.
"Shoot for the Moon, because even if you miss, you'll land among the stars!"

---
I hope that helps.
-djphetal

edit:
Everyone who took the SAT the year I did had the same question... at least to the furthest extent of my knowledge.

Last edited by djphetal (2008-02-29 21:49:51)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6153|what

Man's reach exceeds his grasp. But what would he be, if he didn't reach?

answer:
Spoiler (highlight to read):
a woman
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
CommieChipmunk
+488|6570|Portland, OR, USA

Dsp-CS- wrote:

Im not sure. Everyone that ive talked to took it with that same question.

My brother who graduated in 05 had the same question on his test
I took it 3 times, didn't have that question.  and if your friend took it recently, then it won't cycle around for a while
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

I say no. Whilst Killer is right in that goals give life meaning, those goals do need to be realistically achievable.
Agreed, but the key phrase is, "MIGHT NOT be able to achieve". It does not say, CAN NOT achieve........So achieving the goal or not is an unknown, and thus a possibility.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6742|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
as me oul da would say, "sometimes son the journey getting there is more important than the destination reached"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard