irishtop
Hopscotch Champion
+11|6165|Houston, Texas

usmarine wrote:

geNius wrote:

geNius wrote:

We are not to blame.  Nothing we do can cause or stop Earth's natural cycles.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6531|Global Command
What?

So you want me to be branded a necroposter?

They first link I presented is dated very recently.
motherdear
+25|6653|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)

RDMC wrote:

It is! Its friggin winter and we havent had any snow yet, only 1.5 weeks of frost and that is it. We even had temps reaching 16 degrees 2 weeks ago! *Note to all, this is the Netherlands* Wheres mah goddamn snow.
well try and base it over a longer period of time and then compare how much snow you had over the last 30 years and how much snow they had in 1940-1970 and i bet they should show up pretty equal. and the even if these should not match look at the sun fluctuations over the same timeframe.

what i'm trying to say is that one year is not enough to see if climate change is a factor or if its just nature. it's all very hard to see since there are so many factors and they are all very hard to compare, which is why there are so many conflicting opinions on the matter.

but nonetheless we should still keep researching and implementing "green" technology because we usually get good biproducts from these developments+ we got something to do since we can't explore other planets yet.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
I don't think that we will see any major effects for another decade at least.

This is why these kind of threads seem so pointless. Because they (to me) state the obvious.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

What if the Sun cools off?

Some scientists who watch the Sun, also known as that big glowy thing that delivers all of the earth’s warmth, are worried that it might enter a cooling phase.

http://ibdeditorial.com/IBDArticles.asp … 9412587175
Not every scientist is part of Al Gore’s mythical “consensus.” Scientists worried about a new ice age seek funding to better observe something bigger than your SUV — the sun.

Back in 1991, before Al Gore first shouted that the Earth was in the balance, the Danish Meteorological Institute released a study using data that went back centuries that showed that global temperatures closely tracked solar cycles.
To many, those data were convincing. Now, Canadian scientists are seeking additional funding for more and better “eyes” with which to observe our sun, which has a bigger impact on Earth’s climate than all the tailpipes and smokestacks on our planet combined.

And they’re worried about global cooling, not warming.

Kenneth Tapping, a solar researcher and project director for Canada’s National Research Council, is among those looking at the sun for evidence of an increase in sunspot activity.

Solar activity fluctuates in an 11-year cycle. But so far in this cycle, the sun has been disturbingly quiet. The lack of increased activity could signal the beginning of what is known as a Maunder Minimum, an event which occurs every couple of centuries and can last as long as a century.

Such an event occurred in the 17th century. The observation of sunspots showed extraordinarily low levels of magnetism on the sun, with little or no 11-year cycle.

This solar hibernation corresponded with a period of bitter cold that began around 1650 and lasted, with intermittent spikes of warming, until 1715. Frigid winters and cold summers during that period led to massive crop failures, famine and death in Northern Europe.

Tapping reports no change in the sun’s magnetic field so far this cycle and warns that if the sun remains quiet for another year or two, it may indicate a repeat of that period of drastic cooling of the Earth, bringing massive snowfall and severe weather to the Northern Hemisphere.
Imagine that: The Sun plays a role in the earth’s temperature.

Read the rest. Clearly, we need a big international movement to harness the power of all the governments and industries of the earth to stop this.

Or, we could stop suffering from collective delusions of grandeur and realize that nature outsizes us in ways we don’t yet comprehend.
https://i32.tinypic.com/2ekommw.jpg
Xbone Stormsurgezz
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

ATG wrote:

What?

Well, I know you would never want to partake in any activity that would put your karma count and/or revered status here in jeopardy, but I'm simply pointing out that there are far too many threads on global warming, including one you specifically titled, "The End of the Global Warming Debate".  Now, if that were true, why post another?
ATG
Banned

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

ATG wrote:

What?

Well, I know you would never want to partake in any activity that would put your karma count and/or revered status here in jeopardy, but I'm simply pointing out that there are far too many threads on global warming, including one you specifically titled, "The End of the Global Warming Debate".  Now, if that were true, why post another?
Bah. You watch. My karma count and " revered " status will soon be as meaningful as his. Obviously the debate did not end when I posted that thread. Now if that thread you cited had been the last thread posted on global warming, you would be correct.

And tbh, I believe your status is just as revered as mine here ken. I believe that you've always brought a mature, fairly balance pov to the table. Perhaps that number associated with my name has to do more with being prolific that being right, balanced, fair or intelligent sounding. Frankly, I don't do the wall of text replies and quote upon quotes with intense counterpoint anymore. I kind of...typed out.

Funny, after months of bagging on my favorite African American bus driver Usmarine for short posts I find myself finally, doing the same.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

ATG wrote:

I don't do the wall of text replies and quote upon quotes with intense counterpoint anymore. I kind of...typed out.
It sucks when it starts to become like a chore doesn't it? People rarely concede anything here anyways. .. and it gets boring to be honest. I'm getting to the point where I just want to come here to share a story or some news and see how everyone else feels about it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ATG
Banned
I've been accused of leaving my own threads after the OP.

I like to present my opinions, preferably in the context of some current story. Also,  sometimes it's just as amusing to watch the battle as it is to start it. But, I can admit that there are some topics I have probably made a half dozen threads about.  Bored, tbh.
elstonieo
Oil 4 Euros not $$$
+20|6340|EsSeX

ATG wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2003/bigchilltrans.shtml
lol have you watched the program you linked to If not its on my youtube page

BBC Horizon 2003 - The Big Chill
('low probability, high impact' event)

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p … 7874497599
Moo? Si!
Tall, Dark, Antlered
+39|6130|817---->907

geNius wrote:

geNius wrote:

We are not to blame.  Nothing we do can cause or stop Earth's natural cycles.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

ATG wrote:

Funny, after months of bagging on my favorite African American bus driver Usmarine for short posts I find myself finally, doing the same.
Get on board yo

geNius
..!.,
+144|6444|SoCal

geNius wrote:

You're pretty fucking arrogant if you think humans are that significant.
https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6455|The Twilight Zone
It's Las Vegas's fault.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6476|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND
Ive got to say something right now because ive about had enough of this ' Global warming isnt happening shit', i obviously dont want it to happen but it IS happening and if you fucking lived in europe your whole bastard life you would know SOMETHING IS UP, Its getting to warm now for snow fall and we have barely scraped any snow this year...i mean scraped as in its just a little more than ground frost!

So fuck you (I dont care if its from the solar flares or pollution, but the world is definately warming!).
PureFodder
+225|6287

geNius wrote:

geNius wrote:

Do you accept that we fucked up the ozone layer? A lcear example of a very small percentage of human's overall pollution output having a devastating effect on the atmosphere. You seem to be all for the fingers in the ears approach, assuming you know more about the topic than the vast majority of scientists. Who exactly is the arrogant one?
Dwit
+34|6512
blame canada /southpark

Last edited by Dwit (2008-02-26 01:17:56)

Spark
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

PureFodder wrote:

geNius wrote:

geNius wrote:

Do you accept that we fucked up the ozone layer? A lcear example of a very small percentage of human's overall pollution output having a devastating effect on the atmosphere. You seem to be all for the fingers in the ears approach, assuming you know more about the topic than the vast majority of scientists. Who exactly is the arrogant one?
I would assume NOT the people who are dying from melanomas. At the age of 26.

Last edited by Spark (2008-02-26 02:07:04)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
delta4bravo*nl*
Dutch Delight
+68|6754
The words GLOBAL WARMING are just $$$$ to some.
The earth has been changing forver, why would it stop now?
Spark
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

delta4bravo*nl* wrote:

This seems to be the catchcry of the entire 'GW is shit' camp. Stuff science, stuff reasoning, stuff thinking, global warming will make a few people money so it MUST be bullshit!
~ Richard Feynman
PureFodder
+225|6287

Spark wrote:

delta4bravo*nl* wrote:

This seems to be the catchcry of the entire 'GW is shit' camp. Stuff science, stuff reasoning, stuff thinking, global warming will make a few people money so it MUST be bullshit!
Avoiding dealing with global warming is saving lots of people huge amounts of money in the short term. For some reason that doesn't seem to register with some people.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina
Corporations: GW is BS, we are improving the climate with our emissions, don't worry for the Earth.
FoxNews: GW is BS, because they paid us to say so.
Right Wingers: GW is BS, it's on Fox so it must be true.

Last edited by sergeriver (2008-02-26 03:51:15)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

The United States under the Bush administration has done more to address global warming than any other previous administration.
Fact.

Bush announce that the U.S. would commit US$2 billion over the next three years towards a new international fund to promote clean energy technologies and fight climate change.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._ … al_warming
Xbone Stormsurgezz
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

Kmarion wrote:

The United States under the Bush administration has done more to address global warming than any other previous administration.
Fact.

Bush announce that the U.S. would commit US$2 billion over the next three years towards a new international fund to promote clean energy technologies and fight climate change.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._ … al_warming
Ya but bush fucked up the environment in 7 years.  Its all his fault anyway.

Last edited by usmarine (2008-02-26 08:58:34)

Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694
I think it's safe to say that no matter what happens, we or our far off decedents will manage. If humans can survive in the Kalahari Desert and in fucking Siberia then we're good no matter what. It's nothing a little evolution can't handle.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard