We are to blame58%58% - 21
Evacuate Europe41%41% - 15
Total: 36
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6548|Global Command
CommieChipmunk
+488|6588|Portland, OR, USA
who gives a shit?  I've given up.  Even if it is our fault no one will ever do anything about it because we're an ignorant species and need catastrophe to even think about changing our daily routines.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6785|UK

CommieChipmunk wrote:

who gives a shit?  I've given up.  Even if it is our fault no one will ever do anything about it because we're an ignorant species and need catastrophe to even think about changing our daily routines.
I agree, but its no reason to give up. You can atleast poluteless thus helping the local enviroment. Eg recycle, save energy/money.
liquix
+51|6472|Peoples Republic of Portland
I can't find a reason why polluting less is a bad thing, regardless of global warming. If we could stop all mechanical CO2 production tomorrow, I doubt we would be able to reverse/halt the warming trend fast enough for it to matter. The real danger, as most of us know, is an ice-age. If enough fresh water melts to shut down the north Atlantic current, then goodbye to the good old days.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6790|PNW

Fires, eh. Wouldn't it help if countries cleared out their fucking underbrush? Doesn't have to be all gone, but carve some breaks ffs.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-08-02 21:47:34)

liquix
+51|6472|Peoples Republic of Portland

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Fires, eh. Wouldn't it help if countries cleared out their fucking underbrush? Doesn't have to be all gone, but carve some breaks ffs.
Seemingly easy, but a lot of these places don't have a historical need for such things. Furthermore, places like Greece don't have the enormous land area that we are lucky to have. America has many gigantic wildfires raging as we speak, but we are lucky enough to have far less dense of a population where the human cost is far less.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6664
blame U.S. and China we are the top 2 nations who produce most carbon dioxide.

China produces it more in on overall value, but U.S. produces more per person value.

Last edited by blademaster (2007-08-02 22:03:29)

weerdfoo1
Banned
+26|6183|California

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Righto!
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6664

weerdfoo1 wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Righto!
thats kind of true lol good point
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6567|San Diego, CA, USA
The only thing I'm worried about Global Warming is whether the Atlantic warms up enough for all the Methane stored on the sea floor to bubble up to the surface.

We should be mining that right now to depleate the reserves.

Getting warmer, to me, is actually good. 

Also I believe that human influence is lower than we think (1 volcano puts most stuff in the ozone than we do for years).  The cycles of the sun, with the slightly elliptical orbit of the earth around the sun matter more.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6149|North Tonawanda, NY

Harmor wrote:

The cycles of the sun, with the slightly elliptical orbit of the earth around the sun matter more.
In 2006, a team of scientists from the United States, Germany, and Switzerland presented results showing no net increase of brightness over the last thousand years. Solar cycles lead to a small increase of 0.07% in brightness over the last 30 years. This effect is far too minute to contribute significantly to global warming.  A 2007 paper by Lockwood and Fröhlich further confirms the lack of a correlation between solar output and global warming for the time since 1985.  Source.

Sure, the Earth's orbit has been elliptical while global warming has occurred, it has also been elliptical for a very long time.  Be careful drawing those sorts of conclusions-- it is bad science.  Clearly the number of pirates on the planet is correlated with global temperature.

Correlation != Causation.

While I believe that a lot of global warming is fear mongering, there is truth to it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6790|PNW

liquix wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Seemingly easy, but a lot of these places don't have a historical need for such things. Furthermore, places like Greece don't have the enormous land area that we are lucky to have. America has many gigantic wildfires raging as we speak, but we are lucky enough to have far less dense of a population where the human cost is far less.
Much of our wildfires are carried on the backs of our own mismanaged brush. I'm not saying we're better than Europe in that regard.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6567|San Diego, CA, USA

SenorToenails wrote:

Correlation != Causation.

While I believe that a lot of global warming is fear mongering, there is truth to it.
In the same article your used as a Source it says:
However, some research has suggested that the Sun's contribution may have been underestimated. Two researchers at Duke University have estimated that the Sun may have contributed about 40–50% of the global surface temperature warming over the period 1900–2000, and about 25–35% between 1980 and 2000.[27] Stott and coauthors suggest that climate models overestimate the relative effect of greenhouse gases compared to solar forcing; they also suggest that the cooling effects of volcanic dust and sulfate aerosols have been underestimated.[28]
However the researchers concluded this:
Nevertheless, they conclude that even with an enhanced climate sensitivity to solar forcing, most of the warming during the latest decades is attributable to the increases in greenhouse gases.
Which contradicts what they just said.

Confusing.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6784|Cambridge (UK)
Null vote.

It happens pretty much every summer.
CommieChipmunk

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Null vote.

lol!
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6784|Cambridge (UK)

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Null vote.

lol!
Actually, I was being serious.

The flooding in the UK is a little unusual, though not completely unprecedented, and droughts and fires happen in Europe just about every year. We have much warmer summers than places in the US at the same latitude. It's all to do with the Gulf Stream.

(And the flooding in the UK is due to the Jet Stream being slightly further south than 'normal')
CameronPoe
+2,925|6574
Ireland broke a new record this year. We've racked up more days of continuous rain than we did last winter. This has been the worst summer ever - it has rained every single goddamned day - EVERY ONE! Apparently it's because the jet stream has shifted from passing to the north of Ireland to cutting right through Northern France.

Heading to Prague this evening which is apparently hot and sunny...hooray!

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-08-03 01:34:00)

PureFodder
+225|6304

Harmor wrote:

Also I believe that human influence is lower than we think (1 volcano puts most stuff in the ozone than we do for years).  The cycles of the sun, with the slightly elliptical orbit of the earth around the sun matter more.
The volcanos thing is just a weird myth that seems to be going around, it's a complete load of crap. Volcanos put a grand total of a hundreth of the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere that we do. http://www.bgs.ac.uk/programmes/landres … utions.pdf

Ok, as we're doing another global warming thread could all man made global warming sceptics please read this website, it shows the falacy of most of the popular arguments against man-made global warming using lots of science, data and links to sources. It's not the sun, it's not a natural cycle, warming won't make the planet nicer and there never was a global cooling theory. http://environment.newscientist.com/cha … th/dn11462
CommieChipmunk

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Null vote.

lol!
Actually, I was being serious.

The flooding in the UK is a little unusual, though not completely unprecedented, and droughts and fires happen in Europe just about every year. We have much warmer summers than places in the US at the same latitude. It's all to do with the Gulf Stream.

(And the flooding in the UK is due to the Jet Stream being slightly further south than 'normal')
I know, I just think it's funny how things get blown out of proportion whenever the weather guys say something..
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6149|North Tonawanda, NY

Harmor wrote:

Which contradicts what they just said.

Confusing.
If you read the referenced paper, it is much clearer. 

Essentially, they say that the effect of the sun's cycles is probably underestimated in the current climate models. 

These findings would confirm that anthropogenic-added climate forcing might have progressively played a dominant role in climate change during the last century and, in particular, during the last decades. The sun played a dominant role in climate change in the early past, as several empirical studies would suggest [Hoyt and Schatten, 1997; Eddy, 1976; Crowley and Kim, 1996; Lassen and Friis-Christensen, 1995], and is still playing a significant, even if not a predominant role, during the last decades.
Then they go on to say that the current models themselves are inherently inaccurate because the various factors in play are not fully understood, and that their proposed model is better.  Note: TSI = total solar irradiance

The significant discrepancy between empirical and theoretical model estimates might arise because the secular TSI proxy reconstructions are disputed and/or because the empirical evidence deriving from the deconstruction of the surface temperature is deceptive for reasons unknown to us. Alternatively, the models might be inadequate because of the difficulty of modeling climate in general and a lack of knowledge of climate sensitivity to solar variations in particular. In fact, theoretical models usually acknowledge as solar forcing only the direct TSI forcing while empirical estimates would include all direct and indirect climate effects induced by solar variation. These solar effects might be embedded in several climate forcings because, for example, a TSI increase might indirectly induce a change in the chemistry of the atmosphere by increasing and modulating its greenhouse gas (H2O, CO2, CH4, etc.) concentration because of the warmer ocean, reduce the earth albedo by melting the glaciers and change the cloud cover patterns. In particular, the models might be inadequate [Lean, 2005]: (a) in their parameterizations of climate feedbacks and atmosphere-ocean coupling; (b) in their neglect of indirect response by the stratosphere and of possible additional climate effects linked to solar magnetic field, UV radiation, solar flares and cosmic ray intensity modulations; (c) there might be other possible natural amplification mechanisms deriving from internal modes of climate variability which are not included in the models. All the above mechanisms would be automatically considered and indirectly included in the phenomenological approach presented herein.
Conclusion:  The sun plays a larger role than thought at the time (2005).  But, man still has blame.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6241|Escea

Meh, we had super hot summers and bad weather decades ago, that's why the say it was the worst flood since 1956 or something, in other words where was the global warming catastrophe during that time? Global warming is an inevitable natural process that has always happened, its not manmade, it is possibly accelerated by man but the whole system of global heating and cooling is natural.
weerdfoo1
Banned
+26|6183|California

Harmor wrote:

1 volcano puts most stuff in the ozone than we do for years.
Well think about it, that plus the stuff we put out, damn, thats a lot of stuff in our atmosphere.
Curtor
+6|6168|Canada
Where is the 'select both' option?
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6466|Boulder, CO
I know that where i am its been the worst 3 months for rain since records began in about 1756 (round about there anyway its 1750something). as it is there's not much we can do apart from try to become greener and stop pumping out so much greenhouse gases so hopefully the global warming will not cause those massive methane pockets under the north sea to rise as if they rise into the atmosphere then nothing we do will make any difference. oh and we also need to secure the land there is for floods in places like holland and other low lying countries and just plain leave new orleans alone as its going to go tits up (more so than usual anyway) if the sea level does rise due to it being below sea level and the large river.

volcanoes don't produce that much carbon dioxide its more the fact that they release huge amounts of sulphur dioxide when the erupt thats the problem.

focus magazine and the national geographic are both great learning tools.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6785|UK

Harmor wrote:

The only thing I'm worried about Global Warming is whether the Atlantic warms up enough for all the Methane stored on the sea floor to bubble up to the surface.

We should be mining that right now to depleate the reserves.

Getting warmer, to me, is actually good. 

WRONG! 1 volcano DOES NOT! put more co2 into the atmosphere than humans in a year. Seriously you guys just get fed this bullshit and swallow it down. How about you go and read a god damn book about the subject before you try to comment on it.

This kind of ignorance realy pisses me off and is the reason for this attitude in the first place.

Last edited by Vilham (2007-08-03 08:06:03)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard