ATG
Banned
+5,233|6567|Global Command
http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/col … ?id=332289

" Snow cover over North America and much of Siberia, Mongolia and China is greater than at any time since 1966. "

"I believe that 2005 is the warmest year, because the main source of difference is the Arctic, and I believe it is likely that our estimate there is in the right ballpark even though it is based on some extrapolations," Hansen said.  "However, I admit that it could be wrong, in which case 2005 might be slightly cooler than 1998."
Sea levels falling in the Atlantic Ocean

Contrary to popular belief in climatic stability during recent times, the Earth's
climate of the past 1000 years has changed significantly.

The Medieval climatic optimum (AD 700-1200) was a time of extremely
favorable climate in northern Europe. Harvests were good, fishing was abundant,
sea ice remained far to the north, vineyards flourished 300 miles north of their
present limits, and famine was rare. This was the period of great Viking expansion
from Scandinavia. Viking settlements were based on cereal grains (wheat and
barley) and dairy herds (goats, sheep, and cattle).

Iceland began settling in AD 874 and soon became an independent republic.
Greenland was colonized in AD 985 by Erik the Red. By the 12th century,
two sizeable communities existed in southwestern Greenland.

During the Medieval climatic optimum, sea level stood at least a half meter
higher in southern Florida than today from the first through tenth centuries.

In other words, sea levels in the Atlantic have fallen at least
        19 inches in the last 1,000 years.

Climatic deterioration began in the 1200s; glaciers expanded in Iceland and in
the Alps. Vineyards began declining in Germany and by the 1300s had completely
disappeared in England. Fishing replaced cereal grains as the main source of food
in Iceland, and sea ice expanded southward between Greenland and Iceland.
Around 1340-50 the more northerly of the two Greenland communities was
abandoned to the Inuits. By 1510, only Inuits remained. Cold climate reduced
dairy production, and extensive sea ice hampered essential trade with Europe.

Across the Pacific Islands, during the period AD 1270-1475, sea level fell
by more than a meter and temperatures declined an average 1½EC. El Niño
increased in frequency, and precipitation increased.

Sea levels fell by more than three feet in a thousand years!
        And we’re worried about a rise of .03 millimeters (supposedly)
        per year?

Please note that "El Niño increased in frequency, and
        precipitation increased."

That’s exactly what is happening today!
        That’s how ice ages begin!

From Climatic History of the Holocene, by James S. Aber
http://academic.emporia.edu/aberjame/ic … /lec19.htm

Earth’s climate during the last 1,000 years

Medieval climatic optimum (AD 700-1200).
        Medieval glaciation (AD 1200-1460).
        Brief climatic improvement (AD 1460-1560).
        Little Ice Age (AD 1560-1890).
        Modern climatic optimum (AD 1890-2000).

Hmmmm. Sea levels are falling in the Pacific Ocean,
sea levels are falling in the Indian Ocean, sea levels are
falling in the Atlantic Ocean, and sea levels are falling
in the Arctic Ocean.

I somehow get the feeling that we’re not getting the full
story here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/20 … rans.shtml
PluggedValve
+17|6378
Well first off because your facts are not accurate.  Sea level is not receding in the Arctic.  I can assure you because i was there last spring.  You can check this site.  http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news … nuits.html
or this one:  http://www.uofaweb.ualberta.ca/govrel/n … tory=51223

The people that live there say the water level is rising and the ice level is receding.  And you would prefer FOX News "global warming is a myth" story from people that live in places that dont even get winter???  And in most cases have never been to the arctic.

Seriously, how can you call it a myth??  Get yur head out the sand mate.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6795|Argentina
Sea level is raising.  Fact.  Global warming doesn't mean hotter winters.  Fact.
ATG
Banned
Where the in the name of GREENPEACE is Fox news mentioned in any of the 4-5 sources I gave?

Methinks you comes to the table without a fork.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6795|Argentina
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6804|UK
ATG you are the reason they had to change the name from Global Warming to Climate change...
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6681

PluggedValve wrote:

Well first off because your facts are not accurate.  Sea level is not receding in the Arctic.  I can assure you because i was there last spring.  You can check this site.  http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news … nuits.html

The people that live there say the water level is rising and the ice level is receding.  And you would prefer FOX News "global warming is a myth" story from people that live in places that dont even get winter???  And in most cases have never been to the arctic.

They seem like pretty realistic outcomes regardless of the percentages.

There are definetely some more positive "possibilities" that could happen.  They are just very unlikely to happen.  Lets hope one way or another things all work out for the better, doubtful as it may be
PluggedValve
+17|6378

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

PluggedValve wrote:

There are definetely some more positive "possibilities" that could happen.  They are just very unlikely to happen.  Lets hope one way or another things all work out for the better, doubtful as it may be
Nice one Slinger, I get yah (wink). 

So you are on the "global cooling" team i take it?  Or was that just because i tried to show that i do look at both sides of the arguement on your other post??
PluggedValve
+17|6378

ATG wrote:

Where the in the name of GREENPEACE is Fox news mentioned in any of the 4-5 sources I gave?

Sorry, FOX is my favorite Mythology teacher, and they have the loudest voice, so i use them as reference whenever possible.

Do you not go to the table with a fork??
PS I bring a knife too, usually.

Last edited by PluggedValve (2008-02-25 16:11:00)

RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6603|Area 51
It is! Its friggin winter and we havent had any snow yet, only 1.5 weeks of frost and that is it. We even had temps reaching 16 degrees 2 weeks ago! *Note to all, this is the Netherlands* Wheres mah goddamn snow.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6681

PluggedValve wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

PluggedValve wrote:

Nice one Slinger, I get yah (wink). 

So you are on the "global cooling" team i take it?  Or was that just because i tried to show that i do look at both sides of the arguement on your other post??
No, not with the cooling.  I just noticed how you pretty much said ATG was a moron because he stated his opinion while you were actually "there". 

Sound familiar?

for the record, I do believe that there is a global, man made warming.  But I honestly dont feel strong enough about the issue to be set on that belief.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6795|Argentina
Why is there a need for conservatives to deny climate change, we don't blame you for this...yet.
ATG
Banned

PluggedValve wrote:

ATG wrote:

Sorry, FOX is my favorite Mythology teacher, and they have the loudest voice, so i use them as reference whenever possible.

Do you not go to the table with a fork??
PS I bring a knife too, usually.
You know, I meant something more like this.

But, I sense something in you. Either you remind me of Puckmercury, or your perhaps just more clever than usual. Or, this is not your first account.

MMnnnn....https://i7.tinypic.com/72bbz3d.gif
ReDevilJR
+106|6389

sergeriver wrote:

Why is there a need for conservatives to deny climate change, we don't blame you for this...yet.
Because, We don't know enough about the Earth to make judgments. When we don't put sufficient information into computers, we have altered results, making them garbage, hence 'Garbage In, Garbage Out'. The computers that generate information are only as good as the information put into it. We don't know who to believe either. The media is generally controlled by the liberals, so therefore, we're brainwashed and pounded with the terms 'Global Warming' and 'Climate Change'.

Last edited by ReDevilJR (2008-02-25 16:19:37)

Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6754
Globull warming is big business...
Love is the answer
geNius
..!.,
+144|6480|SoCal

geNius wrote:

We are not to blame.  Nothing we do can cause or stop Earth's natural cycles.
https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
clogar
damn ain't it great to be a laxer
+32|5994|Minnesota
sooooo if there was a drastic change in the 1200s as you say, when there weren't mass carbon emissions, then we aren't necessarily to blame for this eh.
ATG
Banned

clogar wrote:

sooooo if there was a drastic change in the 1200s as you say, when there weren't mass carbon emissions, then we aren't necessarily to blame for this, eh?
kee reck
PureFodder
+225|6323

geNius wrote:

geNius wrote:

Natural cycles like the Ozone layer.... oh wait, we completely fucked that despite protests to the contrary from the same places as the opposition to climate change.

For the tweve millionth time, there ARE natural cycles. There are also things you can do to alter natural cycles. Adding carbon dioxide to the atmosphere will increase the greenhouse effect ON TOP OF the natural changes that occur. This is bad, past climate changes have been devastating, making them worse is not something to be taken lightly.

When the repercussions are looking like being so vast and the solutions are prudent anyway on their own merit, surely erring on the side of caution is preferable to potential catastrophie.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6799

geNius wrote:

geNius wrote:

PureFodder
+225|6323
So while all leading experts agree the planet has warmed about 1 degree Fahrenheit in the past century (and NOAA says the rate has tripled since 1976) ranking the warmest years is a huge statistical challenge
Your own sources say global warming is happening and the rate of change is increasing.

The report points fails to mention what the years climate was like over the vast majority of the world's surface. Finding a relatively small are that has become hotter or colder for a single year is nothing even approaching proof.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6799

RDMC wrote:

It is! Its friggin winter and we havent had any snow yet, only 1.5 weeks of frost and that is it. We even had temps reaching 16 degrees 2 weeks ago! *Note to all, this is the Netherlands* Wheres mah goddamn snow.
Wanna come shovel my driveway?
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6712|Canberra, AUS
Don't quote me on this, but I think this is a sure sign that La Nina has finally... finally... kicked in.

Fucking took long enough - Some parts of Australia have been in drought for over a decade.

Too bad it's only going to last six months (compared to two straight two-year El Nino's)
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6712|Canberra, AUS

ReDevilJR wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Because, We don't know enough about the Earth to make judgments. When we don't put sufficient information into computers, we have altered results, making them garbage, hence 'Garbage In, Garbage Out'. The computers that generate information are only as good as the information put into it. We don't know who to believe either. The media is generally controlled by the liberals, so therefore, we're brainwashed and pounded with the terms 'Global Warming' and 'Climate Change'.
I submit that the forecasts are a bit of baloney. You cannot simply be that accurate.

However, looking at the current trend in the last a hundred and fifty years compared to the last few millenia, it is kind of odd that it's one-way, very, very fast traffic.

In any case the world is moving on. Whether this is true or not the advances towards more efficient technology can only be a good thing. Besides, is it really that hard?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard