I cant tell if their girls or guys!
Master*
Banned
+416|6464|United States

Lucien wrote:

Master* wrote:

2nd one is a guy
i actually watched Cowboy Bebop.

The last addition was Edward, a young, eccentric computer genius and master hacker. Though she is a girl, there is a popular confusion as to Ed's gender. She gave herself the long and fanciful name "Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV" after running away to an orphanage by her father, but it is revealed later on that her real name is Françoise Appledelhi. She goes by the name Radical Edward when hacking, and commonly spends the most time with Ein.
you're right nvm
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6405
Hate anime. Hate 99% of its fanbase.
PRLR
+5|5968|Northern Sweden
anime is for nerds
/thread
David.P
Banned
+649|6243

Fat_Swinub wrote:

PRLR wrote:

anime is for nerds
/thread
Master*
Banned
+416|6464|United States

David.P wrote:

Fat_Swinub wrote:

PRLR wrote:

anime is for nerds
/thread
lol, fail tbh
NuShadow
Captain Fantastic
+24|6452|woodbridge, VA
Samurai champloo was an awesome show. Had a pretty good soundtrack too. Master knows what I mean
Master*
Banned
+416|6464|United States

NuShadow wrote:

Samurai champloo was an awesome show. Had a pretty good soundtrack too. Master knows what I mean

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
This came across my desk. I should watch Neon Genesis Evangelion someday.

Has anyone watched it? If so
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Also the Hitler mods banned just in this thread: ThaReaper, gene_pool, Master*, ']['error, David.P, SamTheMan, and AWSMFOX. Like 3000 karma between those users. Great job mods. 
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Some mod notes for users in this thread (not all are among the ultimately banned):

Ban upon "I'm back" thread
consider perm -FM
OH: 7 temps, ready for perm
perm next -FM
mayb. Perm Ban Next (last T.B)
Next offense=Perma
Next offense perm ban -FM
(this user wasn't perm banned, but is no longer active)
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

There's probably a lot of decent stuff in the world of anime, but also a lot of dated harem cringe and strong rapey overtones to outright rape fetishism to navigate past as well. I'm not wholly convinced it's worth the effort.

I remember playing muds in high school and being highly creeped out by an anime nerd online, so there's that.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Flaming Maniac would have been a tough concentration camp officer.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

There's probably a lot of decent stuff in the world of anime, but also a lot of dated harem cringe and strong rapey overtones to outright rape fetishism to navigate past as well. I'm not wholly convinced it's worth the effort.

I remember playing muds in high school and being highly creeped out by an anime nerd online, so there's that.
I think the harem anime is easy to avoid. I am more annoyed by "Japanese eccentricism" that doesn't translate well to America.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Elaborate? On the eccentrics part.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Elaborate? On the eccentrics part.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

If all the stops were pulled, that movie could be condemned into the dirt for perpetuating racist stereotypes against Asians, with more than a bit of sexism. "Watch Bill Murray play a slightly uncomfortable white man lost in the vastly wacky and unusual world of Japan where some people might not even speak fluent English!" And then he has like what, a teenager(?) as a love interest, wow.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I hate that film for everything you said and more. I hated it the first time I watched it. I don't think I ever liked Bill M. That was probably the first thing of his that I saw too.

You know how as time passes the flaws in things we liked in the past becomes more evident and people are much less willing to defend those flaws? I am so glad that Lost in Translation is getting criticized a lot more now for being racist and creepy. The creepiness is more off putting than the racism.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I think as more stuff floats around ent. articles about (and even disregarding some of the allegedlies) Bill's jerkiness on set, in public, with colleagues … critics feel more comfortable about putting his old stuff under a microscope. I think we've hashed over the BM and LiT stuff in the movie thread, but I guess it's nice after all the 80s, 90s die-hard Bill Murray fandom ("ooh, a Bill Murray movie? we gotta rent that") to reassert the opinion that his shit just stinks sometimes and doesn't have many redeeming qualities.

If Bill ever decides he doesn't like that, well, he isn't exactly known for pulling punches on stuff he doesn't like. So I guess he'll have to suck it up and wipe his tears with the money he made from creepy romantic comedies about 50-year-olds getting it on with teens.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
You don't find this the height of comedy?

After watching how he interacted with the crowd it dawned on me that he does the same mean spirited joking Ellen Degeneres does. I am sure you heard about the bullying and problems at her show that led to it getting canceled. Ellen's show always had her doing "pranks" on guest and teasing people. And I guess that is funny if you like her as a person but to me it all looks like light bullying. I would be unsurprised if this guy gets MeToo'd at some point.

I don't expect the boomers who loved him in the 80's and 90's to ever turn on him. Young people today will probably be the ones to reexamine his history of blah blah. The great thing about young people is their ability to look at someone esteemed and say aloud "who is this asshole to me?"
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

From Sofia Coppola's wiki:
Coppola describes Lost in Translation as a "self-indulgent, personal project" that wouldn't resonate, so the fact movie fans still come up to her and shower the film in praise in 2018 continues to surprise the director.
Can't deny that it worked somehow, I guess (BAFTA nominations, Golden Globes). But it's hard to get around the other stuff already mentioned. Even with the theories that you're looking at Japan through Bill's character's eyes, it's still an immensely creepy romance to me, and I'm tired of the whole "old guy dates girl young enough to be granddaughter" genre.

I wonder how well-received that movie would have been if it came out in 2018 instead of 2003.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEbBOaCnueE
After watching how he interacted with the crowd it dawned on me that he does the same mean spirited joking Ellen Degeneres does. I am sure you heard about the bullying and problems at her show that led to it getting canceled. Ellen's show always had her doing "pranks" on guest and teasing people. And I guess that is funny if you like her as a person but to me it all looks like light bullying. I would be unsurprised if this guy gets MeToo'd at some point.

I don't expect the boomers who loved him in the 80's and 90's to ever turn on him. Young people today will probably be the ones to reexamine his history of blah blah. The great thing about young people is their ability to look at someone esteemed and say aloud "who is this asshole to me?"
Pretty mild stuff for the voice of Garfield. He's surrounded by fans there who apparently love the teasing, so w/e. I don't think all his fans are cement-brained boomers. Gen X and millennials make sense to me as well. Ghostbusters was the shit for a little kid.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I liked Sofia Coppola's Virgin Suicides and Maria Antionette movies a lot. I haven't seen much more than that or at least can't recall anything else. I have no ill will towards her for LiT.

The jailbait part of the movie bothers me more than the racism. And it's not because chasing jailbait is morally wrong. LiT bothers me because Bill Murray looks like a Mr. Potato Head. 17 year old girls aren't dying to get romanced by 57 year old depressed potatoes. Especially ones that can't seem to have fun in Tokyo despite being rich. I could understand getting romanced by Anthony Bourdain but not Bill Murray.

They couldn't make LiT today because 17 year olds have smart phones and Tinder. Twitter people would also joke hard on the movie because again Bill Murray was never good looking and the racism of the movie wouldn't go over well.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEbBOaCnueE

Pretty mild stuff for the voice of Garfield. He's surrounded by fans there who apparently love the teasing, so w/e. I don't think all his fans are cement-brained boomers. Gen X and millennials make sense to me as well. Ghostbusters was the shit for a little kid.
Many Gen Xers are more like Boomers than anything else. If you are old enough to remember Reagan when he was in office and before they hid him in a nursing home, you are infected with a dormant T-virus strain. I am glad to have been born in 1990.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

In all awareness that this is now tangential to the anime topic given only the widest of allowances …

The Cold War being over before early millennials' child brains could properly process risk of baptism by nuclear fire is probably a blessing for the generation. Reading about some of the near misses (the ones we know about) because of the dumbest things is so discomfiting.

One of the amazing things about Reagan love is how he can be praised for his self-deprecatory sense of humor in the same breath you get all but shouted down for leveling a criticism. Only Reagan can make fun of Reagan, I guess.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard