I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdgnieg. The
phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde
Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the
olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit
pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a
porbelm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by
istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tohuhgt
slpeling was ipmorantt!

Well, f you can read people's writing and actually reply to them, I see no problem there...
BRiiNDED
+137|6123

firebolt5 wrote:

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdgnieg. The
phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde
Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the
olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit
pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a
porbelm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by
istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tohuhgt
slpeling was ipmorantt!

Well, f you can read people's writing and actually reply to them, I see no problem there...
i r has that on piktur
topthrill05
+125|6576|Rochester NY USA
Meh.

I consider myself to be an intelligent person, but I screw those rules up all the time. Most of the time it doesn't matter much if not at all. Like on a gaming forum.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6151|what

topthrill05 wrote:

Meh.

I consider myself to be an intelligent person, but I screw those rules up all the time. Most of the time it doesn't matter much if not at all. Like on a gaming forum.
˙ɯnɹoɟ ƃuıɯɐƃ ɐ uo ǝʞıl ˙llɐ ʇɐ ʇou ɟı ɥɔnɯ ɹǝʇʇɐɯ ʇ,usǝop ʇı ǝɯıʇ ǝɥʇ ɟo ʇsoɯ ˙ǝɯıʇ ǝɥʇ llɐ dn sǝlnɹ ǝsoɥʇ ʍǝɹɔs ı ʇnq 'uosɹǝd ʇuǝƃıllǝʇuı uɐ ǝq oʇ ɟlǝsʎɯ ɹǝpısuoɔ ı

˙ɥǝɯ
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6322|New Haven, CT
Lol.

But your (quotes) text hurts my eyes, badly.
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6228|NSW, Australia

Also,

I had a banana.

NOT

I had an banana.

I had an orange.

NOT

I had a orange.
Defiance
+438|6670

I agree with you whole heartedly, but good luck convincing many to join your side. As you've seen, most of what you got here is asshatery.
Dersmikner
+147|6497|Texas
"irregardless" isn't a word. Sure, you'll find it in some dictionaries now as "colloquially correct" but it's not.

There are two words that are being bastardized, "irrespective" and "regardless". Those two words mean essentially the same thing: Without regard for. "ir" is the prefix for "without" and "less" is the suffix meaning the same thing. So one of those words means "without respect for" and the other means "without regard for".

Irregardless actually means "not without regard for", which means "regarding", so insomuch as it's a double negative it means exactly the opposite of what people intend.

"affect" is a verb. EX: "How will that affect you?"
"effect" is a noun. EX: "What will the effect be?"

Nobody's perfect, certainly not I, but if people would at least TRY it would be a hell of a lot easier to read shit on this forum.
BRiiNDED
+137|6123

rdx-fx wrote:

Death_Brinded_Pro wrote:

?grnow yllacitammarg eb siht dluow ...siht od ot saw i fi os

"wonrg" is wrong.. err, I mean isn't wrong.. err..

"grammatically wonrg"?  is that like a Tolkein creature? Spelling Nazi, Forum Trolls, and Grammatical Wonrgs?
dont catch my drift do ya? no1 cares about how poeple spell things on forums.. well they shouldnt
miley
Banned
+9|6122

Dersmikner wrote:

It's absolutely impossible for an educated reader to take seriously any post that is rife with grammatical errors. A little rudimentary help follows:

============================

Your and You're:

"Your" - Possessive. EX: "May I have some of your french fries?"

"You're" - Contraction of "you are". EX: "You're an idiot."

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE quit typing "your wrong."   The proper statement is "YOU'RE wrong."

==============

There, their, and they're

"There" - Usually a noun, pronoun, adverb or (most often) a preposition. EXs: "While I'm there I'm going to have an ice cream." "There is no hope." "What is over there on the couch?"

"Their" - Possessive of they. EX: "What is their problem?"

"They're" - Contraction of "they are". EX: "They're a bunch of lunatics."

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE quit saying "Their stupid," or "there a bunch of pussies" or "they're ideas are crazy." you people are driving me nuts with this shit.

===============

are and our   (this one shocks me)

"our" - possessive. EX: "Why do you care about our politics?"

"are" - a 'state of being' verb. EX: "You are an idiot if you substitute the word 'are' for the word 'our'."

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE quit saying things like "are country is the best!"

===============

wear, where, and were

"wear" - generally a verb as in "I'm going to wear that sweet french cuff shirt tonight." Occasionally a noun as in "There is some wear on the edges of your tire."

"where" - Preposition. EX: "Where the hell is Osama bin Laden?"

"were" - verb, past tense of 'are'. This word isn't even pronounced the same way the other two are. EX: "Were you taught anything in high school?"

PLEASE stop saying things like "wear do you live," or "were do you snipe on Karkand," or "what are you going to where tonight".

=================

The general use of the apostrophe:

PLURALS do not require apostrophes unless they are ALSO possessive. If you are discussing a gun, say the M95, and you want it to be plural, you DO NOT use an apostrophe.

Correct:    "I would like to see a group of guys with M95s."
Incorrect:  "I would like to see a group of guys with M95's."

Another example:

Correct:     "Those guys are jerkoffs."
Incorrect:   "Those guy's are jerkoffs."

Single possessives require an apostrophe BEFORE the "s".

Correct:      "That guy's jacket is cool."
Incorrect:    "That guys jacket is cool."
Incorrect:    "That guys' jacket is cool."

Plural possessives require an apostrophe AFTER the "s".

Correct:      "Those guys' jackets are cool."
Incorrect:    "Those guy's jackets are cool."
Incorrect:    "Those guys jackets are cool."

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE quit saying "those guys are dickhead's."

==================

it, it's, and its

"it": almost always a pronoun. EX: "It is clear that there is a problem with your grammar."

"it's": contraction of IT IS. EX: It's fucking embarrassing that our educational system has failed so miserably at teaching children grammar and spelling."

edit for clarification on "its" versus " its' "

" its' ", or " its " Possessive of "it".  EXs: "That is its bumper." "Because I had a wreck and had to replace it, that is its' second bumper."

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE quit saying "Its getting crazy in here," or "The United States thinks it's shit doesn't stink."

===================

here and hear

"here" - again, generally a pronoun. EX: "If you are posting here, please take care to do it in an educated fashion."

"hear" - a verb. EX: "I hear that you are moving to Florida."

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE quit saying things like "If I here you crying again I'm going to shit," and "I hope you're hear later."

===================

to, two, and too

"to": preposition - EXs: "Where is the remote control to this TV?" "We are going to the store."

"too": meaning "in addition to", "an excessive amount", or "extremely" -  EX: "Too many people in this forum don't use proper grammar."

"two": a number - EX: "Two people next door to me are arguing."

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop saying things like "To many people like two go too Karkand servers."

===================

Ahhhhh... I feel better. Feel free to add your own.

Ders
Most stupid thing I,ve ever read. My wife has a phd from cambridge in phonetics and linguistics, I showed her your post
and she nearly fell off the chair laughing. The rules and boundaries of grammatical form change all the time, language whether it be spoken or in text form is there for communication so as long as it is understood there is no right or wrong way.

So you see trying to impose them on people on the pretence that it is correct is wrong on so many levels and to the really educated makes you sound like an ill informed snob.
Dersmikner
+147|6497|Texas
If your wife has a PhD from Cambridge and doesn't mind someone typing "are education system is great," then they need to close up shop at Cambridge, and you can tell her I said so.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5960|Washington DC

Dersmikner wrote:

If your wife has a PhD from Cambridge and doesn't mind someone typing "are education system is great," then they need to close up shop at Cambridge, and you can tell her I said so.
Wait... I want to be able to use "r u 4 sexes chat" in an essay and not lose points for it.
miley
Banned
+9|6122

Dersmikner wrote:

There is no"if" its a fact and she said to say thank you for giving us all the benefit of your inexperience.
Dersmikner
+147|6497|Texas
I have given this some thought, and I have decided that your wife doesn't care because she has a PhD in the fuzzy sciences of "linguistics" and "phonetics", and by fuzzy I mean that it's an interpretive deal, not a hard science like math or physics. If she had a PhD in literature or English composition she'd clearly have a problem with it. She wants people to "communicate ideas" and the form isn't important to her field of study.

Asking her about proper grammar or form is like asking an artist about the proper way to make an architectural drawing. Have her ask someone with a PhD in English Lit about the way things are done here and web-wide, and she'll get an hour lecture on the deterioration of the English language.
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6544
itz teh internatz welkum 2 it::  if i wanna type wif muh toez i do eet!

deer google ad at teh bottum of muh skreen::: wow

https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/imgad?id=CJqmsP6FnPGq0AEQ2AUYTzIIU5ztdFcM1pg
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
02fxnmaurer
+75|6481|Birmingham UK
tbh ...who actualli gives a shit .....

in the same way tht in a text i send to my friends ...im not going to type out every word perfect ...its the same in these forums ...i speak to people in these forums on a casual mate to mate basis...

people only complain about grammar when there annoyed with what you wrote...its just another factor for people like you to bitch about.

im taking english for a level....i can write perfectly...but i dont want to ...i spend the day reeling off essays at college ..an then what im expected to come home an show the same etiquite online ...

im hope u enjoyed reading this reply...which was full of slang and bad grammar....enoi
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6452|The Twilight Zone

iNeedUrFace4Soup wrote:

itz teh internatz welkum 2 it::  if i wanna type wif muh toez i do eet!

deer google ad at teh bottum of muh skreen::: wow

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pa … 5ztdFcM1pg
the kid is gonna do her
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6689|Devon, England
I post liek that,
Marinejuana
local
+415|6584|Seattle

Dersmikner wrote:

It's absolutely impossible for an educated reader to take seriously any post that is rife with grammatical errors. A little rudimentary help follows:

============================

Your and You're:

"Your" - Possessive. EX: "May I have some of your french fries?"

"You're" - Contraction of "you are". EX: "You're an idiot."

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE quit typing "your wrong."   The proper statement is "YOU'RE wrong."

==============

There, their, and they're

"There" - Usually a noun, pronoun, adverb or (most often) a preposition. EXs: "While I'm there I'm going to have an ice cream." "There is no hope." "What is over there on the couch?"

"Their" - Possessive of they. EX: "What is their problem?"

"They're" - Contraction of "they are". EX: "They're a bunch of lunatics."

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE quit saying "Their stupid," or "there a bunch of pussies" or "they're ideas are crazy." you people are driving me nuts with this shit.

===============

are and our   (this one shocks me)

"our" - possessive. EX: "Why do you care about our politics?"

"are" - a 'state of being' verb. EX: "You are an idiot if you substitute the word 'are' for the word 'our'."

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE quit saying things like "are country is the best!"

===============

wear, where, and were

"wear" - generally a verb as in "I'm going to wear that sweet french cuff shirt tonight." Occasionally a noun as in "There is some wear on the edges of your tire."

"where" - Preposition. EX: "Where the hell is Osama bin Laden?"

"were" - verb, past tense of 'are'. This word isn't even pronounced the same way the other two are. EX: "Were you taught anything in high school?"

PLEASE stop saying things like "wear do you live," or "were do you snipe on Karkand," or "what are you going to where tonight".

=================

The general use of the apostrophe:

PLURALS do not require apostrophes unless they are ALSO possessive. If you are discussing a gun, say the M95, and you want it to be plural, you DO NOT use an apostrophe.

Correct:    "I would like to see a group of guys with M95s."
Incorrect:  "I would like to see a group of guys with M95's."

Another example:

Correct:     "Those guys are jerkoffs."
Incorrect:   "Those guy's are jerkoffs."

Single possessives require an apostrophe BEFORE the "s".

Correct:      "That guy's jacket is cool."
Incorrect:    "That guys jacket is cool."
Incorrect:    "That guys' jacket is cool."

Plural possessives require an apostrophe AFTER the "s".

Correct:      "Those guys' jackets are cool."
Incorrect:    "Those guy's jackets are cool."
Incorrect:    "Those guys jackets are cool."

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE quit saying "those guys are dickhead's."

==================

it, it's, and its

"it": almost always a pronoun. EX: "It is clear that there is a problem with your grammar."

"it's": contraction of IT IS. EX: It's fucking embarrassing that our educational system has failed so miserably at teaching children grammar and spelling."

edit for clarification on "its" versus " its' "

" its' ", or " its " Possessive of "it".  EXs: "That is its bumper." "Because I had a wreck and had to replace it, that is its' second bumper."

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE quit saying "Its getting crazy in here," or "The United States thinks it's shit doesn't stink."

===================

here and hear

"here" - again, generally a pronoun. EX: "If you are posting here, please take care to do it in an educated fashion."

"hear" - a verb. EX: "I hear that you are moving to Florida."

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE quit saying things like "If I here you crying again I'm going to shit," and "I hope you're hear later."

===================

to, two, and too

"to": preposition - EXs: "Where is the remote control to this TV?" "We are going to the store."

"too": meaning "in addition to", "an excessive amount", or "extremely" -  EX: "Too many people in this forum don't use proper grammar."

"two": a number - EX: "Two people next door to me are arguing."

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop saying things like "To many people like two go too Karkand servers."

===================

Ahhhhh... I feel better. Feel free to add your own.

Ders
and i can tell youre uneducated because ur teaching a 3rd grade lesson as if it substantive and important. if any of you are so bad at reading that some missing punctuation throws you off then just stfu and keep practicing. posting crap like this on the internet is like interrupting someone in person to tell them they ended a sentence with a preposition or better yet, used slang. the english language wasnt written in stone over night and it certainly is not now. it has been constantly evolving to suit our needs like any other language, and assuming you are speaking with someone with half decent reading or listening skills, they can probably understand your point, whether or not you carefully follow your 3rd grade teacher's lessons.
02fxnmaurer
+75|6481|Birmingham UK
question is are you tht retarded tht u cnt understand the slang users ?
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6492|N. Ireland

02fxnmaurer wrote:

Vowels for sale. Discount on 'e' for just 99p.
Cyrax-Sektor
Official Battlefield fanboy
+240|6147|San Antonio, Texas

kylef wrote:

02fxnmaurer wrote:

Vowels for sale. Discount on 'e' for just 99p.
I'd liek to bai a vowel for 500.
FlemishHCmaniac
+147|6411|Belgium
Is it really that much of an effort to use correct spelling? I kind of agree with Dersmikner. I hate deciphering gibberish on the Internet.
There is even a spelling checker... Are you really THAT lazy?
Cyrax-Sektor
Official Battlefield fanboy
+240|6147|San Antonio, Texas

FlemishHCmaniac wrote:

Is it really that much of an effort to use correct spelling? I kind of agree with Dersmikner. I hate deciphering gibberish on the Internet.
There is even a spelling checker... Are you really THAT lazy?
Do I have to answer that question?
daddyofdeath
A REAL Combat Engineer in the house
+187|6252|UK Bradford W,Yorks. Age 27
I understand you there Ders. However, I also like to type like all the cool kids do. Does that make me a goofball, and slightly mad! Depends what mood I am in if I want to type correctly. If it's an intelligent thread I will make the grammatical effort. If it isn't then I won't.  I'm liking your thread though. Definitely a +1.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard