Dersmikner
+147|6468|Texas
Just got back from a bender in Vegas. Don't waste your time or money on this "Bodies" thing.

I go to drink, gamble, and get funky. I certainly don't go to "see shit". I let my buddy's wife walk me into it.

Well, some of the shit was okay, like the veins and crap, but I got to thinking, these are real bodies of real dead people. Very depressing. I mean they actually took a bunch of corpses and cut their fucking skin off and preserved them in some sort of elastic coating and stuck them out there for everyone to ogle. Dicks and all, flapping in the wind. Poor bastards. You know they didn't see that coming when they donated their bodies to science. If I had a dick that looked like most of those guys' dicks, I'd have demanded to be clothed from the waist to the knees.

Worst part? Maybe that all the athletic poses were of dead Oriental guys. Yeah. An Oriental guy with an NBA basketball. One with an NFL football. I called bullshit on that...   ;-)

Actually the worst part was the baby room. They had a room full of "real live" dead fetuses and dead babies and toddlers. That's where I decided the whole thing was jacked. I didn't wander through that part. Dude. What in the hell is interesting about seeing someone's miscarriage?

Anyway, word to the wise, take your $37.50 and put it on your favorite number on the roulette wheel and for the 30 seconds it's spinning, before it lands on something else, you'll have twice the excitement that you'd have in the entire hour of the sick shit at the Bodies exhibit.
avman633
+116|6334
They had fucking babies? Thats just sick man, no one wants to see that.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6610|Your moms bedroom
i thought body world was amazing, yeah i was grossed out, but i learned a lot about the human body and anatomy, the difference between an obese man and a body builder, the different stages of pregnancy starting out small right up to the real deal, wasnt it interesting to see how small the achilles tendon was and how its barely attached to the heel? I thought it was amazing. BTW they just showed the exhibit on tv the other day
I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6102|Scotland!

avman633 wrote:

They had fucking babies? Thats just sick man, no one wants to see that.
Speak for yourself, I'd probably check it out if I was in the area, seeing tendons and veins and stuff 'in the flesh' would be interesting
FlemishHCmaniac
+147|6382|Belgium
Are you talking about Körperwelten ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6rperwelten)?

If so you're a bit behind schedule mate. There used to be a major controversy about it when it was touring in Europe a couple of years ago. My personal opinion on it is that it's a fascinating and educational exhibition but people must visit it with respect. Yahoos that can't resist the urge to loudly mock the penis size of a body shouldn't be there.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6548|Columbus, OH
The cincinnati museum center has the Bodies exhibit too. The local newspaper had pictures and a story but they did not mention the exhibit having young cadavers....pretty fucking morbid but it is the cycle of life i suppose.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6415|The Land of Scott Walker
I think the display would be very interesting but I missed it when it was here.  It's not there for teenagers to say "oh cool dead bodies" and giggle when they see actual genitals.  Rather it's there to show how amazing the human body really is.  My chiropractor went to the display and was in awe to see all the intricate inter-related systems that allow our bodies to function.  As a parent, it would be hard to see the babies, but to see the stages of development would be fascinating.

Last edited by Stingray24 (2008-02-19 09:06:39)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6507|Long Island, New York
You're kidding, right? I saw it in NYC, and I LOVED it. I found it incredibly interesting and the stages of the fetus which you were talking about was probably the most amazing thing they had. They showed the fetus at the very first stage, and wow...I was stunned. The other really interesting part I liked was the disease-riddled organs (AKA Smokers lung, smokers brain, brain with a stroke etc).

And the posed ones you're talking about? They're simply showing how your muscles move and contract when you're running and jumping. They're not actual professional athletes, although they are in shape. They're not supposed to be showing you "OGM NFL ATLETHE H33R!!!!".

Trust me. If you want to see something interesting, don't listen to the OP. It's incredibly interesting.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6610|Your moms bedroom

Poseidon wrote:

You're kidding, right? I saw it in NYC, and I LOVED it. I found it incredibly interesting and the stages of the fetus which you were talking about was probably the most amazing thing they had. They showed the fetus at the very first stage, and wow...I was stunned. The other really interesting part I liked was the disease-riddled organs (AKA Smokers lung, smokers brain, brain with a stroke etc).

And the posed ones you're talking about? They're simply showing how your muscles move and contract when you're running and jumping. They're not actual professional athletes, although they are in shape. They're not supposed to be showing you "OGM NFL ATLETHE H33R!!!!".

Trust me. If you want to see something interesting, don't listen to the OP. It's incredibly interesting.
QFT
Nakamp
+25|6164|Czech Republic
Oh, it was in Prague for some time. I feel bad I wasn't there
Jasonb0718
+6|6093
its been in my city (pittsburgh) for some time now, but I just haven't been able to get the time to get there to see it.
Cyrax-Sektor
Official Battlefield fanboy
+240|6118|San Antonio, Texas
I'd rather see the wax museum and magic shows in New York New York than human bodies. I see enough of that in text books, and that's good enough for me.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Jasonb0718 wrote:

its been in my city (pittsburgh) for some time now, but I just haven't been able to get the time to get there to see it.
If you can, see it. It's worth every penny.

Last edited by Poseidon (2008-02-19 09:38:20)

King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6567|Seattle

Not a cool topic. Please refrain from posting anything of this type in the future. Perhaps ogrish.org or something similar, would be a better home for these topics, eh?

/closed.

edit: on second thought, I guess the material is ok, just some of the comments posted that are completely out of line. I'll delete those posts seen as unfit for this site. I apologize to the OP for closing the thread when I should have just spoken to the few posting inappropriate content.

/re-opened with hesitation.

Last edited by King_County_Downy (2008-02-19 09:36:45)

Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6492
i know they had it in atlanta a few years ago. my sister went to see it with her high school i believe. if she wasn't offended by it, i don't see anything wrong.
Dersmikner
+147|6468|Texas
My deal is that we're talking about real live people here. Didn't it depress any of you that there were actual miscarriages in there? Somebody LOST a child prior to its birth, and these people decided to drop it in formaldehyde and let us look at its little corpse.

The adults I could live with, but the fetuses just killed me.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6364|The Gem Saloon
we have it at the st louis science center right now.
my girl wants me to go see the lungs so i will quit smoking.

but i watched my grandfather die from lung and throat cancer.....there arent any "scared straight" tactics that i think will work, so fuck it.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Dersmikner wrote:

My deal is that we're talking about real live people here. Didn't it depress any of you that there were actual miscarriages in there? Somebody LOST a child prior to its birth, and these people decided to drop it in formaldehyde and let us look at its little corpse.

The adults I could live with, but the fetuses just killed me.
...so they should just throw it away instead of using it for science and to help better educate the public?

lol, oooooookay.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard