Dsp-CS-
Claymore magnet
+98|6706|Alaska
Ok here is the deal:

Im working on a project in Vegas. Vegas is a video/sound editing program for those that dont know that, and im rendering pretty high quality videos, 1280x740 in resolution. My movie so far is at 2 minutes and by at 95% at rendering it keeps saying that im out of memory and need to close projects.

I have 1.5GB of Ram and i have 77% of memory on my C disk left, if i do Defragment will it fuck up any of my files in vegas? Or whats another solution

Thanks
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6653
Defragmenting won't break anything at all, and it will speed things up if you've never done it. I don't know about your memory problem, though.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6684|West Yorkshire, U.K
Hmm, I dont seem to understand what your on about much

RAM isnt anything to do with De-frag thats your hard drive :S

Defrag doesnt delete files, it just moves them all onto one sector of the hard drive to make it quicker to access

Last edited by Kurazoo (2008-02-18 10:40:15)

.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6453|The Twilight Zone

Kurazoo wrote:

Hmm, I dont seem to understand what your on about much

RAM isnt anything to do with De-frag thats your hard drive :S

Defrag doesnt delete files, it just moves them all onto one sector of the hard drive to make it quicker to access
Not entirely true. It takes some memory and processor power when defragmenting and if you have any apps active at it...
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober
mmmm...Toasty!
+91|6722|Oregon
i dont think thats the point he was trying to make. there is such a thing as virtual memory, which is affected by your HDD.

to answer your question, no, a defrag will not fuck up any files. all it does is physically move them around. it might help you with vegas, but its unlikely. its a good thing to defrag every few weeks anyhow.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6567|NYC / Hamburg

Out of memory sounds like your pagefile is too small. Try to increase its size
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6597|Seattle

max wrote:

Out of memory sounds like your pagefile is too small. Try to increase its size
^^ This.

and this:

[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober wrote:

i dont think thats the point he was trying to make. there is such a thing as virtual memory, which is affected by your HDD.
Check that your page file is 1.5 times physical memory or somewhere near that. So you have 1.5GB RAM, you're going to want about 2.25GB (2304MB) paging file. I usually just select "System Managed" unless you have 2Gigs or more RAM (and running xp). Even then, you may experience problems without a paging file.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6139|New Jersey
1.5x the size of main memory is a very, very old rule. It's not really relevant today, but you still see it all over the place because very few people seem to have any idea what the pagefile actually is or how it works. The question that gets asked then is usually "well then, how big should it be?". The answer to that is... "it depends". It depends, again, on what the machine is being used for, and how much main memory is installed in the system. Nothing gets sent to the pagefile(do not believe task manager!!) unless there isn't room for it in main memory, so if we go back to the Mom and Pop machine, they probably won't need much pagefile space at all if they have a decent amount of main memory. The database server may need a fair amount, depending on just how hard the database admin is trying to make the system cry
A very knowledgeable person posted that on another forum that I am a member of.  Hope that helps with any pagefile questions.
Dsp-CS-
Claymore magnet
+98|6706|Alaska
Sorry if the question is unclear

The thing i want to do is to have enough memory to Render my project.

Where can i find Pagefile on my comp or to increase it?
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5999|The Mitten
Ctrl + Shift + Esc, or Ctrl + Alt + Del.
Then click on "Performance"
EE (hats
Dsp-CS-
Claymore magnet
+98|6706|Alaska
Yea with all of my windows closed and msn i run at 260MB, but im guessing when im rendering it reaches its limit.
Any ideas?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Dsp-CS- wrote:

Yea with all of my windows closed and msn i run at 260MB, but im guessing when im rendering it reaches its limit.
Any ideas?
I've sometimes bumped into similar problems to yours in other applications, and have found that closing explorer itself can improve success rate.

That...or use a Mac. They're a bit of an investment for less-than-bleeding-edge hunks of junk, but do tend to be slightly more reliable for media projects.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2008-02-18 20:50:59)

SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6139|New Jersey
To tinker with your page file, go to control panel -> System -> Advanced -> Performance -> Virtual Memory  (Windows XP)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard