Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6545|Long Island, New York
Star Wars tbh.

It'll be interesting...will people be able to see it?
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6556|UK

SenorToenails wrote:

syndicat111 wrote:

No American plans to blow up the moon to show dominance over Communist Russia.

You have to remember, they were just ideas and were never actually put into motion - its the fact that this idea was explored...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2000/ … heobserver
The US Air Force developed a top-secret plan to detonate a nuclear bomb on the moon as a display of military might at the height of the Cold War
Best I can find so far
I searched for "blow up the moon cold war" and that is what came up.  Besides, detonating a nuclear weapon on the surface is a far cry from "blowing it up".
Probably some fucked up 4th of july celebration lol
BVC
+325|6703
I'm not wondering why they're blowing it up, that one is a bit of a no-brainer.  How they'll blow it up is what I'm pondering...
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6702|The Ville
I wonder why they made this public. It is suppose to be a secret no ?
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5968|Washington DC
Why blow it up? It's not exactly an asteroid or a NASA space shuttle... it would probably burn up and whatever's left when it impacts the water or land won't be of any use to the Chinese or Russians.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6137|North Tonawanda, NY

Pubic wrote:

I'm not wondering why they're blowing it up, that one is a bit of a no-brainer.  How they'll blow it up is what I'm pondering...
A missile.  Anti-satellite weapons have existed for quite some time.
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6388|the land of bourbon

SenorToenails wrote:

Pubic wrote:

yep they have... i laughed when everyone was all up in arms about china shooting down a satellite.  we've had this shit for years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ASAT … launch.jpg

things like this make me want to be the navy pilot that gets to shoot it down... now that would be a cool fucking job.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
Cyrax-Sektor
Official Battlefield fanboy
+240|6155|San Antonio, Texas

steelie34 wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Pubic wrote:

yep they have... i laughed when everyone was all up in arms about china shooting down a satellite.  we've had this shit for years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ASAT … launch.jpg

things like this make me want to be the navy pilot that gets to shoot it down... now that would be a cool fucking job.
You could be a rogue pilot that blows up weather balloons for fun.

You: "Sorry sir, it was showing signs of resistance."
ghettoperson
+1,943|6656

SenorToenails wrote:

syndicat111 wrote:

Well what do you think a nuclear explosion would do to it?  Aside from blow a considerable hole in it, potentially killing due to the debri and screwing tidal patterns in the ass...
No.  It wouldn't.

The moon has a radius of 1,737.10 km and a mass of 7.3477×10^22 kg.  That's large.  A single nuclear weapon would not "blow a considerable hole in it" at all.  Maybe a crater, but nothing that will really change the moonscape.  Think about it logically.  It will take a lot of explosives to blow apart the moon.  Especially from the surface.
I am loling at this whole tangent.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6137|North Tonawanda, NY

steelie34 wrote:

A lot of people were up in arms over the amount of orbital debris that the Chinese action produced.  But then again, it was a sign that China is approaching a military maturity and capability that not many people want.
steelie34
pub hero!

SenorToenails wrote:

steelie34 wrote:

A lot of people were up in arms over the amount of orbital debris that the Chinese action produced.  But then again, it was a sign that China is approaching a military maturity and capability that not many people want.
of course we'll continue to make a big deal out of it, because if we didn't china would know we have far better technology.  what better way to keep our "real" technology under wraps?  idk, just throwin that out there... lol 

anyway we aren't even using an anti-sat missle for this.  its really a modifed ballistic missle interceptor, so it's not really a space weapon test if any other country tries to complain about it.
steelie34
pub hero!

ghettoperson wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

syndicat111 wrote:

Well what do you think a nuclear explosion would do to it?  Aside from blow a considerable hole in it, potentially killing due to the debri and screwing tidal patterns in the ass...
No.  It wouldn't.

The moon has a radius of 1,737.10 km and a mass of 7.3477×10^22 kg.  That's large.  A single nuclear weapon would not "blow a considerable hole in it" at all.  Maybe a crater, but nothing that will really change the moonscape.  Think about it logically.  It will take a lot of explosives to blow apart the moon.  Especially from the surface.
I am loling at this whole tangent.
lol srsly.  hey syndicate, didn't you see armageddon?  that thing was waaaay smaller than the moon and even still nuking it from the ground wasnt an option
Skorpy-chan
+127|6352|Twyford, UK
Well, it's got all their fancy high-tech gear on it that they want to make sure nobody gets hold of.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5968|Washington DC

Aapje wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

Why blow it up? It's not exactly an asteroid or a NASA space shuttle... it would probably burn up and whatever's left when it impacts the water or land won't be of any use to the Chinese or Russians.
If the satellite wasn't important then yes...
Again, I'm sure it's got all sorts of secret info on there... but for comparison...

Take an M1A2 Abrams into space, then let it freefall into Earth. Just for shits and giggles, assuming it doesn't burn up in the atmosphere, let's say it lands in the middle of the Rocky Mountains. Good luck finding any trace of the tank except for some scrap metal.

Note I could be totally wrong and this satellite is made out of the same material as space shuttles.

Last edited by HurricaИe (2008-02-14 18:00:51)

GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6227|Phoenix, AZ

SenorToenails wrote:

syndicat111 wrote:

You know, in the Cold War, it was actually planned to blow up the moon after Sputnik was released...  it was cancelled because they didnt know where the pieces would land.  That is trying to show strength...
Blow up the moon?  How?  From a surface attack?  No way!  Give me a source, or that is just bullshit.
i lol'd
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6418|'Murka

Hydrazine is some REALLY bad shit. A thousand pounds or so coming down in a populated area would turn it into an unpopulated area quickly.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6651

syndicat111 wrote:

Perhaps there are some things the US government might not want anyone else to find out about...?
like the workings of top secret spy sat technology.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

Russia: US Satellite Shot a Weapons Test
gtfo

MOSCOW (AP) - Russia said Saturday that U.S. military plans to shoot down a damaged spy satellite may be a veiled test of America's missile defense system.

The Pentagon failed to provide "enough arguments" to back its plan to smash the satellite next week with a missile, Russia's Defense Ministry said in a statement.

"There is an impression that the United States is trying to use the accident with its satellite to test its national anti-missile defense system's capability to destroy other countries' satellites," the ministry said.

The Bush administration says the operation is not a test of a program to kill other nations' orbiting communications and intelligence capabilities. U.S. diplomats around the world have been instructed to inform governments that it is meant to protect people from 1,000 pounds of toxic fuel on the bus-sized satellite hurtling toward Earth.

The diplomats were told to distinguish the upcoming attempt from last year's test by China of a missile specifically designed to take out satellites, which was criticized by the United States and other countries.

Known by its military designation US 193, the satellite was launched in December 2006. It lost power and its central computer failed almost immediately afterward, leaving it uncontrollable. It carried a sophisticated and secret imaging sensor.

Left alone, the satellite would likely hit Earth during the first week of March. About half of the 5,000-pound spacecraft would probably survive its blazing descent through the atmosphere and would scatter debris over several hundred miles.

Military and administration officials said the satellite is carrying fuel called hydrazine that could injure or kill people who are near it when it hits the ground.

The operation to shoot down the dead satellite could happen as soon as next week.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id … _article=1

Last edited by Kmarion (2008-02-16 22:22:11)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6836|Grapevine, TX

Kmarion wrote:

Russia: US Satellite Shot a Weapons Test
gtfo

MOSCOW (AP) - Russia said Saturday that U.S. military plans to shoot down a damaged spy satellite may be a veiled test of America's missile defense system.

The Pentagon failed to provide "enough arguments" to back its plan to smash the satellite next week with a missile, Russia's Defense Ministry said in a statement.

"There is an impression that the United States is trying to use the accident with its satellite to test its national anti-missile defense system's capability to destroy other countries' satellites," the ministry said.

The Bush administration says the operation is not a test of a program to kill other nations' orbiting communications and intelligence capabilities. U.S. diplomats around the world have been instructed to inform governments that it is meant to protect people from 1,000 pounds of toxic fuel on the bus-sized satellite hurtling toward Earth.

The diplomats were told to distinguish the upcoming attempt from last year's test by China of a missile specifically designed to take out satellites, which was criticized by the United States and other countries.

Known by its military designation US 193, the satellite was launched in December 2006. It lost power and its central computer failed almost immediately afterward, leaving it uncontrollable. It carried a sophisticated and secret imaging sensor.

Left alone, the satellite would likely hit Earth during the first week of March. About half of the 5,000-pound spacecraft would probably survive its blazing descent through the atmosphere and would scatter debris over several hundred miles.

Military and administration officials said the satellite is carrying fuel called hydrazine that could injure or kill people who are near it when it hits the ground.

The operation to shoot down the dead satellite could happen as soon as next week.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id … _article=1
Sweet!
velocitychaos
+26|6503|Brisbane Australia
All Of The Above

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard