Yes, I can get around but still have problems4%4% - 9
Yes, Poorly, I stall all the time4%4% - 9
No, I don't know how12%12% - 25
I can't/don't Drive7%7% - 15
Total: 198
Home
Section.80
+447|6844|Seattle, Washington, USA

We don't even own a manual for me to practice on. So no, I don't know how to drive manual.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6126|North Tonawanda, NY

Major.League.Infidel wrote:

Not entirely.  You have to have some sort of Driver's Education (Either from Classes in a school - about 30 hours total, or online) which then lets you take a test to get your Permit, which let's you drive as long as you have a licensed Adult over the age of 25 in the front seat.  However, you must first take 6 hours of behind the wheel training with a certified instructor.  Your permit is good for 6 Months, during which you must acquire 50 hours of behind the wheel time, with 10 being at night.  Once you have done this, you go to the DMV, where you take a 20 minute cruise with an Official, who grades you.   If you don't make too many mistakes, you pass and get your license.  However, for the first 12 months (if you're under 18) you can't drive between 2300 - 0500, and you can't drive with anyone under the age of 25 in your car.  But you can drive Solo.

Grand Total? You can get away with it for about $150-$175 if you take your Driver's Ed online.  If you go to a school, it can move it up to about $300 Total.
Wow.  That's seems needlessly restrictive.  I had to take a short multiple choice test to get my permit, and it cost me like $40.  Then, I got to take a ~$30 6-hour sit down course where we watched videos on how to not get into an accident.  Then I took my road test.  Badda-bing.  License.  Of course, I was over 18 at the time so I didn't have to deal with the junior class license restrictions.
KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6448|Cambridge, UK

Manual

Only ever heard of 2 people that had a auto: a friends American wife, and a retired company director, never ever even been in one (autos are rare in the UK)

I lol'ed at the "Auto so I can eat" comments... over here often when you see someone major face stuffin' behind the wheel they are right porkers* - maybe if autos where banned in the western world it would cut our obesity levels.   

* I ain't saying if you eat behind the wheel your obese - its just a generalisation so don't take it personal
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6407|'Murka

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Don't know. Never owned one.
throughout your career, have you ever noticed this phenomena?
Not too much. Noticed a variety of "lieutenantmobiles" that anyone can spot from across the parking lot.

The main group I've seen that drive Jeeps are pilots. It's either a Jeep or a sports car. I think they're compensating...

The phenom I've never understood is junior enlisted living in the dorm/barracks who drive $40k cars. It's got to eat up every bit of their meager income. Just never got it.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6407|'Murka

B.Schuss wrote:

Basically, do you know how to drive using a Manual Transmission?  One of my proudest moments was when I feel I had finally gotten it down.

This can also be a Manual vs Automatic Debate thread.
the majority of cars sold in europe run on manual transmission, and to be honest, I have never understood why this seems to be such a big problem for you guys. It's easy.

I'd prefer manual transmision over automatic any day. Automatic is for old people. Maybe I'll get a car with automatic when I am retired...
Rental cars in Europe are the heat. Never had a bad one. First time I was in Germany TDY (solo) as a Lt...I got a BMW 525 with a manual trans. I fucked up the autobahn in that bitch going from Frankfurt to K-Town.

God I love Germany.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6753|Argentina
Mmmm, 75% of the people say they can drive a manual transmission.  I dunno.  Here or in Europe that would be true, but in the US where most cars come with automatic trans...

Either way back to the preferences, I prefer the manual transmission since it's more fun driving a car with MT than AT.
MrAnderson
Ghost Town T90/Apache Whore
+99|5995|Aberdeen, Scotland
Never tried an auto...like Kylietastic said they are rare in the UK.

Learning how to balance the clutch and accelerator is the only real challenge in learning to drive tbh...

If you drive an auto what skill is there? All you gotta do is brake/steer...
ddenholm67
DanForth Teh Pwnzer
+53|6552|Scotland

Reciprocity wrote:

I drive an s2000 with 9k redline and a 6-speed manual.  it's heaven.
I wish I was you right now.
Hy$t3RiA
Pocket Rocket
+5|6395|Blighty

Directed at sydney & Hysteria:

Do they provide the cars for you? or do you have to use your own, like in the USA.
You can use your own car if you like but you would have to have your own insurance which on a provisional licence can be expensive.  All driving schools and instructors normally provide cars as part of your lesson.  Its also quite expensive these days, I'm old though so I only paid £12 ($24) perhours lesson but they are anything upto £25 ($50) per hour these days.
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6507|Gold Coast
I'm currently learning to drive a manual.... costs about $50AUS per lesson, but its worth it. Been doing hill starts, reversing on hills, shit like that. Stalled it twice, once with the normal start up to accelerate and forgotten the other time. Its kinda weird, accelerating that quickly, but I guess you get used to it after a while.
My parents are making me do manual lessons because they say if you cant drive a manual, you're as thick as shit....
But personally, I think automatics are the way to go, you've got less concentration on the gears, and more on the road....
But manuals are pretty cool.

BTW I can drive a manual, but Im just a bit rusty, need to learn more... Ive only had 3 hours of lessons in a manual and Ive got another one tomorrow at 11:30 in the morning.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
Hy$t3RiA
Pocket Rocket
+5|6395|Blighty

Reciprocity wrote:

I've got a Honda CBR 600RR with a 17.5k redline, 6 gears and a whole lot of road!
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6837|Cologne, Germany

lol, I love these new interactive ads Jeff runs. fit right in with the theme of the thread.
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6734|The Hague, Netherlands

SenorToenails wrote:

Not entirely.  You have to have some sort of Driver's Education (Either from Classes in a school - about 30 hours total, or online) which then lets you take a test to get your Permit, which let's you drive as long as you have a licensed Adult over the age of 25 in the front seat.  However, you must first take 6 hours of behind the wheel training with a certified instructor.  Your permit is good for 6 Months, during which you must acquire 50 hours of behind the wheel time, with 10 being at night.  Once you have done this, you go to the DMV, where you take a 20 minute cruise with an Official, who grades you.   If you don't make too many mistakes, you pass and get your license.  However, for the first 12 months (if you're under 18) you can't drive between 2300 - 0500, and you can't drive with anyone under the age of 25 in your car.  But you can drive Solo.

Grand Total? You can get away with it for about $150-$175 if you take your Driver's Ed online.  If you go to a school, it can move it up to about $300 Total.
Wow.  That's seems needlessly restrictive.  I had to take a short multiple choice test to get my permit, and it cost me like $40.  Then, I got to take a ~$30 6-hour sit down course where we watched videos on how to not get into an accident.  Then I took my road test.  Badda-bing.  License.  Of course, I was over 18 at the time so I didn't have to deal with the junior class license restrictions.
took me 22 lessons of 2 hours with manual, 1 multiple choice test (which you need 44/50 correct) then I needed to drive with a guy from the CBR (driving institute) in a 30km/h zone/50km/h zone/speedway/3 ways of parking/backwards turn/90 degrees turn, and I needed to tell him stuff about the car.

total cost around 1400 euros, just to get that damn thing.

and the teacher I had (25 euros an hour) was cheap, they can cost you up to 50 an hour.

(the amount of lessons isn't really up to me).

and yes I drive manual in a car and for work in a manual Mercedes van.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

^*AlphA*^ wrote:

took me 22 lessons of 2 hours with manual, 1 multiple choice test (which you need 44/50 correct) then I needed to drive with a guy from the CBR (driving institute) in a 30km/h zone/50km/h zone/speedway/3 ways of parking/backwards turn/90 degrees turn, and I needed to tell him stuff about the car.

and the teacher I had (25 euros an hour) was cheap, they can cost you up to 50 an hour.
I was surprised at how some states in the US are getting expensive and restrictive.  I knew it was expensive for Europeans, but that overall cost seems absurd.
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers

SenorToenails wrote:

^*AlphA*^ wrote:

I was surprised at how some states in the US are getting expensive and restrictive.  I knew it was expensive for Europeans, but that overall cost seems absurd.
the 45 minutes final drive with the CBR guy (if you pass that you get the licence) is/was 200 euros alone or something when I had it.
PvtStPoK
paintball > bf2
+48|6510|montreal, quebec

Roger Lesboules wrote:

Still havent learned to drive manual...prefer automatic over manual anyway.
ta pas idée combien mieux c'est l'hiver.  bien meilleure traction et control dans neige.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

^*AlphA*^ wrote:

the 45 minutes final drive with the CBR guy (if you pass that you get the licence) is/was 200 euros alone or something when I had it.
Jesus-Tapdancing-Christ!  Why is the whole process so costly?
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6839|Reykjavík, Iceland.

SenorToenails wrote:

^*AlphA*^ wrote:

Apparently it's more expensive in the Netherlands than in Iceland, here it varies between driving teachers, the one that's teaching my charges around $100 per hour.
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers

SenorToenails wrote:

^*AlphA*^ wrote:

beats me (money trippers?) just know that Americans need a International License or something to drive here (not sure here as in Holland, but some European countries).
_NL_Lt.EngineerFox
Big Mouth Prick
+219|6526|Golf 1.8 GTI Wolfsburg Edition
Yes, without problems although you have to shift gears alot when I'm driving 15 tons in Amsterdam
herrr_smity
+156|6624|space command ur anus
i drive a manual, but i dont really care what the transmission is as long as its a fast car
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6515|Πάϊ
Around here everybody drives manual. Ironically, most people don't know how to drive an automatic. If you ask around most will say that automatics are for old ladies who shouldn't  even be driving   I guess automatics haven't caught on at all.
ƒ³
Microwave
_
+515|6651|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK

Reciprocity wrote:

That's what my dad, (and soon me) drives!

And yeah, I can drive a manual no problem.
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers

oug wrote:

Around here everybody drives manual. Ironically, most people don't know how to drive an automatic. If you ask around most will say that automatics are for old ladies who shouldn't  even be driving   I guess automatics haven't caught on at all.
uhm don't know how to drive automatic?

automatic = steering, breaking and giving gas.
manual = steering, breaking, shifting, controlling clutch and giving gas.

everyone who can drive manual can drive automatic.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6617|London, England
I refuse to drive auto. My dad's got an Auto, it's so lame. He's almost forgot how to drive Manual, even though he's been driving manual most of his life. That's what scares me about Auto.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard