Bert10099
[]D [] []\/[] []D
+177|6746|United States
Problem to solve is:

An airplane trip involves three legs, with two stopovers.  The first leg is due east for 620km, the second leg is south-east (45 degrees) for 440km, and the third leg is a 53 degrees south of west for 550km.  What is the planes total displacement?

Karma for solution.
Ryan
+1,230|6848|Alberta, Canada

Can't you just draw it out and measure from where you starting to where you ended?
I drew it out, without a protractor, and it would be simple to make a measurement.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6654

I can't think of the maths needed right now, so just make a scale model.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6135|North Tonawanda, NY
Break it into components.

x-direction: 620 + cos(45)*440 - sin(37)*550

y-direction: sin(45)*440 + cos(37)*550

displacement = sqrt((x-direction)^2 + (y-direction)^2)

Break it into parts, and find the legs of the triangle.  Then solve for the hypotenuse.

https://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9739/solutionqx4.jpg

Last edited by SenorToenails (2008-02-11 18:00:10)

Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6468|meh-land
just get the two triangles...

get the third edge of the first triangle and use it to find the third edge of the second triangle...
and you'll get the distance from the point of origin
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6295|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

Ryan wrote:

Can't you just draw it out and measure from where you starting to where you ended?
I drew it out, without a protractor, and it would be simple to make a measurement.
You need the protractor for accuracy.

I'd help, but AP Physics homework is currently > your physics homework.
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6712|67.222.138.85
Vectors eh?

cowami wrote:

Ryan wrote:

Psh no noob, use trig.

Since you can move vectors around all you want as long as you keep the same magnitude and direction, mentally put all the vectors so all their tails are at the origin of a graph. Draw a line from the tip to either the x or y axis, and then find the legs of the triangle using simple trig. (sin, cos, etc.) Making sure to maintain directional integrity (signs matter), Add up all the x components of the triangles, then all the y components. The addition of the x components yields the new x value, and the addition of all the y components yields the new y value. Add these two vectors using the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude and then your simple trig again to get the direction.
stef10
+173|6487|Denmark

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Vectors eh?

cowami wrote:

Ryan wrote:

Psh no noob, use trig.

Since you can move vectors around all you want as long as you keep the same magnitude and direction, mentally put all the vectors so all their tails are at the origin of a graph. Draw a line from the tip to either the x or y axis, and then find the legs of the triangle using simple trig. (sin, cos, etc.) Making sure to maintain directional integrity (signs matter), Add up all the x components of the triangles, then all the y components. The addition of the x components yields the new x value, and the addition of all the y components yields the new y value. Add these two vectors using the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude and then your simple trig again to get the direction.
I think this will confuse him when we are at the current difficulty of this problem.

But just draw it on a piece of paper-not so accurate-Put all the pieces of info the places it belongs and you will see what to do. You need to feel the math-FEEL IT!!!!

Last edited by stef10 (2008-02-11 16:39:55)

Flaming_Maniac

stef10 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Vectors eh?

cowami wrote:

Psh no noob, use trig.

I think this will confuse him when we are at the current difficulty of this problem.

But just draw it on a piece of paper-not so accurate-Put all the pieces of info the places it belongs and you will see what to do. You need to feel the math-FEEL IT!!!!
lol, that is really as simple as it gets. If the simple trig trips you up, have fun with the rest of the year in physics.
stef10
+173|6487|Denmark

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

stef10 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Vectors eh?

Psh no noob, use trig.

lol, that is really as simple as it gets. If the simple trig trips you up, have fun with the rest of the year in physics.
I just mean that there is a more simple way to explain it imo. Maybe he has not come to the level of understanding these things even though they might be simple.

ahh, I just cant wait for the greatness of differencial calculations soon. Fucking little cars with different speeds and shit. I rather just blow them up in a videogame.
DankmanHightimes
+24|6505|atlanta GA
960.84km i think

EDIT: 913.94km

EDITagain: 960.84 km final answer

Last edited by DankmanHightimes (2008-02-11 16:59:30)

stef10
+173|6487|Denmark

DankmanHightimes wrote:

960.84km i think

you won a million dollars.

YAYZ 4 U!!!!
Brasso
+1,549|6635

looks like a geo problem to me
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Flaming_Maniac
lol don't give him the answer, make him do it himself.

Give a man a fish, teach a man to fish, all that jazz.
DankmanHightimes
+24|6505|atlanta GA

stef10 wrote:

DankmanHightimes wrote:

960.84km i think

YAYZ 4 U!!!!
lol
second guessed myself on my second try i use wrong angle to find the distance.

tbh they went way the fuck outta there way lol
Ryan

stef10 wrote:

DankmanHightimes wrote:

960.84km i think

YAYZ 4 U!!!!
960.84km is the fucking answer, giving me the money you bastard, I beat him to it
bennisboy
+829|6651|Poundland
Easy.
Split into vertical and horizontal components for each vector (you've been taught this right?)
Add all horizontal and all vertical (but seperately)
take the square of the horizontal and the square of the vertical, add them together, then take the squuare root of the answer to get the displacement/
I'm not gonna do the math as I am currently drunk
stef10
+173|6487|Denmark

Ryan wrote:

stef10 wrote:

DankmanHightimes wrote:

960.84km i think

YAYZ 4 U!!!!
960.84km is the fucking answer, giving me the money you bastard, I beat him to it
Can the prize be exchanged into karma dollars where 1 karma equals 1 million?
Bert10099
[]D [] []\/[] []D
+177|6746|United States

DankmanHightimes wrote:

960.84km i think

You shall receive karmaz upon verification of this answer.
Ryan

stef10 wrote:

Ryan wrote:

stef10 wrote:

YAYZ 4 U!!!!
Can the prize be exchanged into karma dollars where 1 karma equals 1 million?
ok
DankmanHightimes
+24|6505|atlanta GA

Bert10099 wrote:

DankmanHightimes wrote:

960.84km i think

You shall receive karmaz upon verification of this answer.
this theory also proves why delta is bankrupt.
Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6468|meh-land

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

stef10 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Vectors eh?

Psh no noob, use trig.

yeah, this is the true point lol...
that is not a very difficult problem, if you look at that and don't think 'Triangle - sine - cosine!' immediately then tough luck in harder classes, because that stuff gets quite a bit more difficult
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6329|New Haven, CT
Ugh, I remember this stuff from trigonometry last year.

Calculus>trigonometry.
smartdude992
Keep your head down, smart's got a gun
+30|5937|Georgia, US of A

Bert10099 wrote:

Problem to solve is:

An airplane trip involves three legs, with two stopovers.  The first leg is due east for 620km, the second leg is south-east (45 degrees) for 440km, and the third leg is a 53 degrees south of west for 550km.  What is the planes total displacement?

Karma for solution.
physics 1 right??
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6295|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

nukchebi0 wrote:

Ugh, I remember this stuff from trigonometry last year.

Calculus>trigonometry.
damn straight

hate trig
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard