nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6294|New Haven, CT
I am a complete newbie with Ebay. I have no idea how it works, how trustworthy it is, what I should look for in sellers and what protections there are if someone does something mean.

So, could someone please explain some of or all of the above areas. I am looking for a processor on there I can't find anywhere else, but don't want to be throwing my money away on something dangerous.

Karma for constructive, useful answers.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6101|North Tonawanda, NY
1.  Check feedback for negative responses.  The read those, to try and get an idea of what actually happened.  You can get a good idea of whether or not a seller replies to questions, ships items, misrepresents themselves, etc...

2.  Don't get in a bidding war and pay more then you have to.  It's easy to do, but try not to do it.  If it's a common item, there are others to be had for less.

3.  Pay with PayPal ONLY.  If a seller doesn't accept paypal, screw 'em.  Even then, I pay with a credit card through paypal, so if something goes bad I can contest with paypal and/or the credit card company.

4.  Be reasonable.  Most everyone else does the same.  But do not get taken advantage of.  You'll know it if it's happening.

If I can think of other stuff, I will add them.
RandomSchl
|\/|€|\/|߀|2
+52|6414|California
since I know some1 is going to ask it: What processor?
PvtStPoK
paintball > bf2
+48|6485|montreal, quebec

looks for sellers' feedback. alot of good feedbacks are always a good sign if you can trust the seller or not.

read carefully the item description, dont be stupid and dont buy pasta for your CPU.

contact the seller if you have any question.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6730|San Antonio, Texas
Tips:
  • Only buy from sellers with at least 200-300 98% or better feedback.
  • Use Paypal only, I highly recommend this. This way you can get your money back if something goes amiss.
  • Always read the whole action page fully, multiple times would be best, so you can be sure it doesn't say something like "This is for the picture only".
  • Always check the shipping fees, if something is too cheap, usually the shipping fee is ridiculous.
  • Always check the seller's feedback.
  • If it's too good to be true, it usually is.
  • Use common sense.
  • Talk to the seller if it's an expensive item, so you know you can get a hold of them.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6294|New Haven, CT

RandomSchl wrote:

since I know some1 is going to ask it: What processor?
The processor is an Opteron 170.

Thanks for responses so far, please keep them coming.

A compilation of advice is what i am aiming for.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

Tips:
  • Only buy from sellers with at least 200-300 98% or better feedback.
  • Use Paypal only, I highly recommend this. This way you can get your money back if something goes amiss.
  • Always read the whole action page fully, multiple times would be best, so you can be sure it doesn't say something like "This is for the picture only".
  • Always check the shipping fees, if something is too cheap, usually the shipping fee is ridiculous.
  • Always check the seller's feedback.
  • If it's too good to be true, it usually is.
  • Use common sense.
  • Talk to the seller if it's an expensive item, so you know you can get a hold of them.
I forgot about the shipping fees.  I bought an AC adapter for a laptop, and they charged me $13.95 shipping (Still the cheapest one).  It came in a $4 flat rate envelope.  They didn't even have to pay for the envelope, since it was USPS.  Some people think that the shipping fees should buy them lunch or something.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6294|New Haven, CT
The Opteron I am looking at is 4.50 for postal priority. I think that is reasonable from New Jersey.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

nukchebi0 wrote:

The Opteron I am looking at is 4.50 for postal priority. I think that is reasonable from New Jersey.
Make sure that there is some sort of DOA protection.  Usually they give 3-10 days to test it after delivery.  If none is specified, ask before you buy.  I know people who sell broken parts "as-is" and claim they can't test their functionality.
RandomSchl
|\/|€|\/|߀|2
+52|6414|California
here is a bunch of sites that google found that sell it.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&am … p;ie=UTF-8
Reciprocity
+721|6551|the dank(super) side of Oregon
never been a big fan of ebay.  I just dont trust people that much and If i'm only saving a few bucks, it's not worth the potential hassle.  but if it's your only choice, go for it.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6294|New Haven, CT
I can't (read:don't want to) spend more than $80 on a Socket 939 upgrade.

Ebay is right now the only choice for such an upgrade.

SenorToenails wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Make sure that there is some sort of DOA protection.  Usually they give 3-10 days to test it after delivery.  If none is specified, ask before you buy.  I know people who sell broken parts "as-is" and claim they can't test their functionality.
Doesn't Paypal buyer protection cover this?
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

nukchebi0 wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Heh.  Don't depend on PayPal for buyer protection.  Their conflict resolution is terrifyingly slow.  I think I found the auction you are looking at, and it does say that it is fully working.  I would still ask if there is some sort of DOA protection.
Reciprocity

nukchebi0 wrote:

there is no shortage of paypal protection horror stories.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6294|New Haven, CT

SenorToenails wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Heh.  Don't depend on PayPal for buyer protection.  Their conflict resolution is terrifyingly slow.  I think I found the auction you are looking at, and it does say that it is fully working.  I would still ask if there is some sort of DOA protection.
http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-Opteron-170-2-0 … dZViewItem

This one?

Reciprocity wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

there is no shortage of paypal protection horror stories.
Could you provide a link to some?

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2008-02-09 23:56:58)

Reciprocity
paypalsucks.com

google paypal fucked me
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6730|San Antonio, Texas

nukchebi0 wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-Opteron-170-2-0 … dZViewItem

This one?
It looks good, if it was going at a higher price I'd ask if there is some sort of DOA protection and his return policy, but it's not that expensive so I say if that's what you want get it.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6294|New Haven, CT
Many thanks so far...

If anyone else has any advice to share, please do so.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

nukchebi0 wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-Opteron-170-2-0Ghz-Dual-Core-939-2Mb-90nm-NR_W0QQitemZ110222707523QQihZ001QQcategoryZ80142QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one?
Yep.  That's the one I looked at.

As for PayPal protection:  It's limited, slow, and from what I can tell, usually gets little in terms of results.  It has ridiculous fees and is essentially useless in all the usual situations.  It's best not to depend on it, which is why I also pay with a credit card.  I can let MasterCard do my fighting for me.  But if you pay with a check or money order, there is just about nothing that can be done if you get a seller who decides not to ship it.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6294|New Haven, CT

SenorToenails wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-Opteron-170-2-0Ghz-Dual-Core-939-2Mb-90nm-NR_W0QQitemZ110222707523QQihZ001QQcategoryZ80142QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one?
Yep.  That's the one I looked at.

As for PayPal protection:  It's limited, slow, and from what I can tell, usually gets little in terms of results.  It has ridiculous fees and is essentially useless in all the usual situations.  It's best not to depend on it, which is why I also pay with a credit card.  I can let MasterCard do my fighting for me.  But if you pay with a check or money order, there is just about nothing that can be done if you get a seller who decides not to ship it.
Would Visa offer similar protection?

And how does this work?
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

nukchebi0 wrote:

And how does this work?
Credit cards usually provide some sort of buyer protection (read the documentation, etc...).  If I pay for goods/services, but I never receive those goods/services, I can call the credit card company and contest the charge.  There is a period of investigation, and what not, but I would be able to get my money back with the whole ordeal.
Reciprocity

nukchebi0 wrote:

And how does this work?
if it's some little shit company a lot times Visa or Amex will just cancel the payment and tell them to go fuck themselves.  what are they gunna do?  take Visa to court?
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6294|New Haven, CT
Even if it is some random buyer on Ebay?
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

nukchebi0 wrote:

Even if it is some random buyer on Ebay?
Well, you pay with a credit card through paypal.  If paypal wouldn't help, I would call my credit card company and let them fight it for me.
Reciprocity
your credit card company is working for you.  paypal is working for Ebay.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard